ADVERTISEMENT

Man breaks Quad Cities TV station's camera; police looking for suspect, station says

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
6885bb4e-198f-4d5d-b0c1-12c165548112-man_who_broke_camera.PNG

Police officers in the Quad Cities are looking for a man alleged to have broken a TV station's news camera.

A story published Monday by WQAD-TV, the ABC affiliate along the Illinois-Iowa border near Moline, says a man became angry with a photographer filming a location Friday in Rock Island, Illinois, and attacked the cameraperson.

"Working on a story, the photographer was getting footage of several local businesses in the area from the sidewalk," the story reads. "That's when a man approached him in a parking lot, expressing anger that he may have been filmed while driving by."

The unidentified man took the employee's hat and camera before smashing the piece of equipment on the ground, WQAD reports.

Rock Island police are searching for a man who allegedly broke a camera about 5 p.m. Friday near 38th Street and 18th Avenue in the city, according to a police sergeant who spoke with the Register Monday evening. He said he could not confirm who owned the camera.

An arrest has not been made as of Monday evening.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Rock Island Police Department at 309-732-2677.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...roken-angry-bystander-report-says/3082727001/

Reactions: h-hawk
HROT investigators are on the case. We should have him in custody by the afternoon.

Unless of course he's a poster here.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Looks like a MAGA hero. He will probably get praised during the next Trump rally.

Didn't the photographer write down the jackass' license plate #? Seems like that would be a slam dunk.

What's this guy up to that he would get so bent out of shape over being filmed or photographed? Very odd behavior for a sasquatch.

Didn't the photographer write down the jackass' license plate #? Seems like that would be a slam dunk.

What's this guy up to that he would get so bent out of shape over being filmed or photographed? Very odd behavior for a sasquatch.
The crazy thing is the Photog was only taking b-roll of a strip mall and the dude drove past in his car and was pissed he was “filmed” in his car!

Truly psychotic.

Just looking at the vehicle, I'm betting figuring out what it is isn't going to be all that difficult. It's not like he's driving a common vehicle like a pickup or SUV.

And yeah...brain bubbles definitely at play there. I'm betting that camera ain't cheap, let alone assault charges of some sort.

Just looking at the vehicle, I'm betting figuring out what it is isn't going to be all that difficult. It's not like he's driving a common vehicle like a pickup or SUV.

And yeah...brain bubbles definitely at play there. I'm betting that camera ain't cheap, let alone assault charges of some sort.

Looks like a circa 2006-2010 Toyota Yaris to me.

I used to work at WQAD...kind of sad how some people act when they see a station car or camera.

Looks like a circa 2006-2010 Toyota Yaris to me.

Yep, something like that. Missing hubcap, cloudy headlight lens, probably a rare color too.

I'm betting they already know who it is, just want somebody to call in with his current location to save time.

6885bb4e-198f-4d5d-b0c1-12c165548112-man_who_broke_camera.PNG

Police officers in the Quad Cities are looking for a man alleged to have broken a TV station's news camera.

A story published Monday by WQAD-TV, the ABC affiliate along the Illinois-Iowa border near Moline, says a man became angry with a photographer filming a location Friday in Rock Island, Illinois, and attacked the cameraperson.

"Working on a story, the photographer was getting footage of several local businesses in the area from the sidewalk," the story reads. "That's when a man approached him in a parking lot, expressing anger that he may have been filmed while driving by."

The unidentified man took the employee's hat and camera before smashing the piece of equipment on the ground, WQAD reports.

Rock Island police are searching for a man who allegedly broke a camera about 5 p.m. Friday near 38th Street and 18th Avenue in the city, according to a police sergeant who spoke with the Register Monday evening. He said he could not confirm who owned the camera.

An arrest has not been made as of Monday evening.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Rock Island Police Department at 309-732-2677.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...roken-angry-bystander-report-says/3082727001/
After careful review, I think it could be the Florida Man - in deep cover - who suggested flying planes and driving boats in the opposite direction of Hurricane Dorian to neutralize it. Grew his stache into a bread, thinned out a little, cleverly cut and dyed his hair, and change his glasses...

The crazy thing is the Photog was only taking b-roll of a strip mall and the dude drove past in his car and was pissed he was “filmed” in his car!

Truly psychotic.

Exactly. It’s hilarious that in his rage over not being filmed in the background of a b-roll for local news in a tiny market in which likely nobody would recognize him… He did something that now has his picture being broadcast all over the world. Don’t you love irony?

Lol found this story elsewhere and had to come to HROT with it. Almost Pepsi'd.

Update:

Charges have been filed against a 45-year-old Rock Island man after taking and smashing a News 8 photographer's camera.

The Rock Island County State's Attorney's Office issued charges against Brett R. Laermans on Tuesday, May 5. He is charged with criminal damage to property and battery.

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/c...BJhsFh9RxONI_8j34tEJ93FI_9Lch6MPvMskbCC_X5EO4

A bit rough looking for 45.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT