ADVERTISEMENT

Man, the Republicans are bad faith negotiation partners

Huey Grey

HR King
Jan 15, 2013
Dems gave the Rs 80% of what they wanted on immigration. Dems only got 20%. Both sides agreed. Then at the last second, the Rs claim the bill isn't what they wanted and nuke what would have been the most substantial immigration reform in 40 years. How can you trust a party that does that?

I'd laugh if Biden wins and the Ds take both chambers and pass their own bill. That karma would be delicious.

The senate almost certainly will not be D next year.

Dems have like 3 or 4 vulnerable seats AND will almost certainly be giving up Joe Manchen's West Virginia seat.

The Republicans have 0 vulnerable seats this year.

Even if it's a good year for Dems the Republicans will probably end up controlling the senate somewhere around 52 to 48. Could be as bad as 55 to 45.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Among other things, it gives Biden discretionary power. We already know what he does with that given his disastrous EOs and selective enforcement of current law.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Dems gave the Rs 80% of what they wanted on immigration. Dems only got 20%. Both sides agreed. Then at the last second, the Rs claim the bill isn't what they wanted and nuke what would have been the most substantial immigration reform in 40 years. How can you trust a party that does that?
12 hour timeout imminent!

Dems have like 3 or 4 vulnerable seats AND will almost certainly be giving up Joe Manchen's West Virginia seat.

Even if it's a good year for Dems the Republicans will probably end up controlling the senate somewhere around 52 to 48. Could be as bad as 55 to 45.
I won't start the tally until Sept/Oct, it's about then we will have a much better picture. That said, it would still be funny if they passed on this for Trump only to get nothing.

I won't start the tally until Sept/Oct, it's about then we will have a much better picture. That said, it would still be funny if they passed on this for Trump only to get nothing.

Things will clarify a bit but there is very little chance of the D's controlling the senate in 2025. Best they can hope for is running the table and winning all their vulnerable seats and having Biden/Harris re-elected giving them the tie breaker vote in a 50/50 senate.

And even that IMO seems unlikely. Anyone with dreams of the Dems holding the senate needs to look at which seats are up this year and that will be put to bed.

What’s with the NGOs in the bill along with federal funds for sanctuary cities?

That said, the GOP should bring it to the floor in the house and take out the poison pills, vote and send it back. What they’re doing now is Trump’s bidding and it’s going to fail BIGGLEY

Just how many Republican's have to show a spine to get this passed with bipartisan support? It can't be that many.

Just how many Republican's have to show a spine to get this passed with bipartisan support? It can't be that many.
doesn't matter if the gop house leadership won't allow it to come up for a vote

i think the expectation is that there are enough votes for it to pass the house, which is why the trump minions can't allow that vote to happen

Among other things, it gives Biden discretionary power. We already know what he does with that given his disastrous EOs and selective enforcement of current law.
Have you looked at your fearless leader Trump? He wins for the most EOs between Biden, Obama, and him.

You're probably right, on paper. But we all saw how the last "red wave" predictions turned out. Record high gas prices and out-of-control inflation (at the time), and still, no red wave.

What's changed?

This hardly matters. This can't pass if the GOP opposes it whether they are the majority or not. It needs 60 votes. But watch the GOP Senate start whining about the obstructionist Dems if they take back the gavel.

The funny thing is -- and I'm seeing this right now in my work in connection with a sublicense agreement that requires a third party's approval -- sometimes it's not really a matter of who gets what percentage of what they asked for. It's a matter of what the requisite number of votes will actually agree to (or in my case, what the third party will accept). And if you're the giving side, you need to be just as aware of that as the taking side.

You're probably right, on paper. But we all saw how the last "red wave" predictions turned out. Record high gas prices and out-of-control inflation (at the time), and still, no red wave.

What's changed?

True but this isn't polling or public opinion. Even in a good year running the table on all those seats seems unlikely.

True but this isn't polling or public opinion. Even in a good year running the table on all those seats seems unlikely.
Yeah, fair enough. I think abortion will continue to be a hurdle for non-incumbent GOP candidates for the foreseeable future, but I don't see democrats running the table by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT