ADVERTISEMENT

Maple tree with 9 lives

bunsen82

HR All-American
May 6, 2004
I have a maple tree that continues to defy major traumatic events a keep plugging along. The maple tree had a diameter of 8-9 inches, I had been covering the bark in the fall but thought the trunks were big enough to avoid any deer damage, I was wrong. A deer came and stripped off around 65% of the bark leaving a 2 1/2-3 inch strip. The strip had a major gash looking like a Y in the middle of it that came awfully close to completely cutting off any avenue for the sap to get up and down the tree. I told my wife for the 4th time I expected the tree to die. Everything I read said that large of damage would likely by a death sentence. I covered it for the remainder of the winter to avoid anymore damage. In march I cleaned and pruned up the damage trying to form even edges and tearing off loose bark. This spring the leaves popped out and I was pleasantly surprised but knew we were not out of the woods. I put on a more breathable bark like wrap on this spring, which looked needed as there was mold forming on the open wounds. I cleaned those up when I trimmed up and that appears to have dissipated. I have been watering deeply every 7-10 days. Last night while mowing I decided to unwrap and look at the progress, then re-wrap to avoid any the wrap from choking off the tree from getting to tight. The tree looks to have almost completely healed the gash all the way up. within another 2 weeks that should be good and sealed with new bark. This year ring has begun to pop out on both edges and is already an 1/8th of an inch in thickness. Assuming I continue to water I full expect it to gradually begin to grow over the damaged area. I had a similar issue a couple years which I will get to later, that I feel fairly confident in the process. I am hoping this year the bark will cover between 50-65% of the circumference of the tree and next year should be able to heal the remainder. what are my 2 biggest risks yet, disease and insects. So far the wrap seems to be doing its job of keeping the insects out and so far no sign of disease.

I am fairly confident I am getting to the all clear with this tree but in the 5 years since I have planted the tree that has not been the case.
-shortly after planting in a wind storm, the main tree branch broke off taking over 40% of the leaves with it.
- In the 2nd year whether disease or lack of water the tree began to shed its leaves in August. I babied it and it came out the next year fine.
-In year 3, in the fall had what looked like a woodpecker going to town on the bottom of the trunk. After research I think I have decided that it was most likely a sap sucker. As the sap is coming down the trees it will go and feed on the sap and insects. The following year damage resulted in a 3 inch wide by 24 inch in length damage to the bark and wood it completely died and peeled off. I was very concerned however it completely filled in the damage with new bark throughout the year. This event did give me some clues and idea how to help the current situation but didn't know if the tree would be able to pull it out or not.

Growing trees is not for the faint of heart in my neighborhood. We live on the very edge of outskirts of our small town and are effectively in the country. I have forest line that completely goes on the other side of the neighbor. The layout of land tracts is weird but from my house going to the west over neighbors years, we effectively have the dimensions of a football field with no fences. Needless to say the wildlife is constant pest to most tree going endeavors. When I moved in in 2010 my house and the neighbors on either side had 11 trees growing. Of those only 3 are still living. 1 Maple 1 red bud, and my now very large Oak tree. I had a damaged maple when I moved in similar to my current maple it lived a year or two, i never did anything with it, no watering ect, it lived 2 seasons then died. I believe carpenter ants and termites killed and destroyed the remaining bark strip. I have tried to transplant 2 red buds, planted another red bud and 3 other maples in the first 7 years that have all died for various reasons. Currently I have the large oak mentioned earlier, then I have another maple that I planted at the same time as the one that has had multiple damage. it is 40% bigger and a much larger tree trunk. Hopefully I can continue to keep both trees healthy. It is a never ending job.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT