ADVERTISEMENT

Margarine and the rise of Adolph HItler

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I just finished an interesting book, Coffee With Hitler, by Charles Spicer. It's a nice book about efforts in pre WW2 England to foster better relations with Hitler, and the Germans. Some might have been misguided, but it was at various levels sanctioned. Many involved had fought in WW1 and were eager to avoid another war. As the efforts to avoid war faded, many of the men involved used their connections to gather intelligence to guide England. Money to fund the effort was raised from many sources, but one source was Unilever, hence the title of my thread.
After the start of the war, and as some of the books were written after the war, many were labeled appeasers. An unfitting description for many.
There is a fascinating section on Rudolf Hess with speculation as to why he travelled to England, and who he perhaps wanted to meet up with.

I just finished an interesting book, Coffee With Hitler, by Charles Spicer. It's a nice book about efforts in pre WW2 England to foster better relations with Hitler, and the Germans. Some might have been misguided, but it was at various levels sanctioned. Many involved had fought in WW1 and were eager to avoid another war. As the efforts to avoid war faded, many of the men involved used their connections to gather intelligence to guide England. Money to fund the effort was raised from many sources, but one source was Unilever, hence the title of my thread.
After the start of the war, and as some of the books were written after the war, many were labeled appeasers. An unfitting description for many.
There is a fascinating section on Rudolf Hess with speculation as to why he travelled to England, and who he perhaps wanted to meet up with.
Thanks for posting....sounds interesting.

The whole Hess thing has always been a bit perplexing...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT