ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Gooden talks Iowa visit

Apr 8, 2003
Gooden is a 6-foot-1, 220-pound LB/DE from Ohio

---

Q: How was your visit to Iowa this past weekend?

GOODEN: It was a great experience. I really had to get on campus before I could get a feel for what Iowa was all about, but I really liked it.

Q: What were some of the highlights for you?

GOODEN: I got to meet with the engineering department and talk about what life would be like on campus because I want to major in either mechanical or civil engineering. They told me how their program works and how after their students graduate they have a 99% job placement rating, which was interesting. Then, I got to tour the facilities. I didn't know that Iowa had a brand new workout facility dedicated to football. I was unaware of that before I got on campus, so the visit was full of surprises. I learned a lot more about Iowa than I was expecting.

Q: What were your thoughts on the new facilities?

GOODEN: It's an amazing facility. They have some technology there that can measure the speed of the weight as you're moving, so it will know when you're putting out maximum effort. I really like that kind of technology. They said they were one of five schools in the country that use it, so I found that pretty interesting.

Q: Meeting with the coaches, who did you talk with and what did they have to say?

GOODEN: I got to meet with Coach Reid, the linebackers coach, and then Coach Kelvin Bell also. They told me they see me as a hybrid defensive end edge rusher and outside linebacker. If I came to Iowa that is what I would be playing is like a hybrid between the two.

Q: Coming off that visit, what are your overall thoughts on Iowa right now?

GOODEN: I really enjoyed the visit. It was really nice. I think you really have to get on campus to know what the university is all about and it was a great experience.

Q: Where else have you been for junior days so far this year?

GOODEN: I went to Purdue and Indiana the week before Iowa.

Q: How about other visits for games and everything? Where all have you been?

GOODEN: I might not be able to name them all, but some of the ones I went to last year were Ohio State, Cincinnati, Northwestern, Boston College, West Virginia, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Marshall.

Q: Where do you go next?

GOODEN: Tomorrow I'll be visiting OU, on Saturday I'm going to Kent State, and then next weekend I'll be going to Michigan.

Q: Are you still at seven offers right now?

GOODEN: Yes, seven offers (Iowa, Indiana, Bowling Green, Ohio, Kent State, Miami of Ohio, and Toledo).

Q: Is there anyone showing a lot of interest that might be the next to offer?

GOODEN: I'm not sure yet. I've been focusing more on track season right now, so I've kind of slowed down calling coaches and all that, but I'll pick it up again soon.

Q: What events do you compete in for track?

GOODEN: I do shot and disc and I plan on running the 200 this year.

Q: As far as your position, have you heard both linebacker and defensive end from other schools?

GOODEN: Yeah, it's mostly linebacker or edge rusher where I can move around in space and make tackles in the open field.

Q: Early on, have you thought about when you might want to eventually make a decision?

GOODEN: I think I'm going to make a decision in the fall after the summer camps. I want to make sure that any school that's interested I want to get to a camp there during the summer. Then I'll commit in the fall.

Q: Is that before your senior season or during the season?

GOODEN: I'm not sure yet. It depends. If I find the right school and it's the right time, then I might commit before my season. But if I haven't found the right school yet then it will more than likely be before the end of my season, but I'll probably go see some games to help decide.

Profile: http://sports.yahoo.com/iowa/football/recruiting/player-Mark-Gooden-157137

Video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2847626/highlights/199173375/v2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News