ADVERTISEMENT

Marty Tirrel pleads guilty....

Something tells me that his personality won’t do well in prison.

Something tells me his health has already quickly deteriorated and he won't live long in federal prison.

I don't feel bad for him. He has screwed over every single person in his personal and professional life. Maybe he can be the play by play commentator for the prison bball games. Sell some fake conjugal visit passes...get beat up and have a visit of his own.

This idiot was trying to crash our suite at MSG for ncaa wrestling tourney 2016. We told him if he wanted to come into our suite for the night session he owes $1000 for he and his gf. He paid us $1000 cash and came in for like 30 min and we never saw him again rest of tourney.

The guy suffers from mental illness, guys. I think a little prayer is what needs to be exercised here not blanket condemnation. I understand he pissed off a lot of folks and did some folks wrong.......BUT, There, for the Grace of God, go I......Mental illness is a bitch.

The guy suffers from mental illness, guys. I think a little prayer is what needs to be exercised here not blanket condemnation. I understand he pissed off a lot of folks and did some folks wrong.......BUT, There, for the Grace of God, go I......Mental illness is a bitch.
He's a Sociopath, yes.

Reactions: natewantofbees
For those of us not in the Des Moines media market, could you tell us a little about Marty and what he did. I know he was a kind of obnoxious radio sports talker, but not much else.

For those of us not in the Des Moines media market, could you tell us a little about Marty and what he did. I know he was a kind of obnoxious radio sports talker, but not much else.
He advertised and sold sporting event packages , had folks pay for premium seats and travel and hotels and access .. only to get to the destination and left holding the bag. But that is just a small sample of what he pulled.

He advertised and sold sporting event packages , had folks pay for premium seats and travel and hotels and access .. only to get to the destination and left holding the bag. But that is just a small sample of what he pulled.
Thanks, what a jerk? I'm assuming he's facing criminal charges?

Jobbed a Toyota dealership out of a bunch of money too, didn’t he? At the behest of Steve Luebke? The guy who got 2 DUI’s in one day and burned up a Camaro he swiped from another dealership he was associated with? He (Luebke) might have double digit DUI convictions by now.

And someone mentioned being homeless. Right before they took him down, Marty showed up at one of his ex-wives for money for a hotel. He’d been living in his car.

A grifter of the first class. Screwed over everyone he ever did business with. Deadbeat. Large mouth. He could be entertaining at times, but just a jerk. I'm glad I was not one of the folks that got screwed over by him.

His antics literally cost the life of at least one person due to stress of losing it all.

A grifter of the first class. Screwed over everyone he ever did business with. Deadbeat. Large mouth. He could be entertaining at times, but just a jerk. I'm glad I was not one of the folks that got screwed over by him.

His antics literally cost the life of at least one person due to stress of losing it all.
Holy s**t. I had not heard that.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
In addition to all the bad stuff correctly posted in this thread, he did have some very natural talent, perfect for filling air time and making things and his show sound “big time”.
That talent, and his “celebrity” opened doors for him to defraud people.

In addition to all the bad stuff correctly posted in this thread, he did have some very natural talent, perfect for filling air time and making things and his show sound “big time”.
That talent, and his “celebrity” opened doors for him to defraud people.
I actually enjoyed listening to him on the radio. He was entertaining. Way over the top in his early years but toned it down somewhat as time went on. Would cover everything from local to pro sports. Marty and Miller was the best local sports talk show Des Moines ever had (next to Miller and Deace).

What's his diagnosis doc?

Marty and Miller was the best local sports talk show Des Moines ever had (next to Miller and Deace).
ColorfulRepulsiveIrishwolfhound-size_restricted.gif

Marty Tirrel was the Frank Gallagher (Shameless) of Des Moines sports talk radio. Always running some sort of money making scam. Most people knew it too, yet some of them still fell for said scams.

That said, as sleazy as he was, the guy knew how to push buttons and entertain on the radio... and he was good at it. Bash away, but to me he’s the best sports talk radio personality central Iowa has ever had.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Unlike some people that post on this board, I respect a difference of opinion.

I would, however, like to know who you think is/was better.

I hope you are not going to say the buffoons on the Morning Rush,

Unlike some people that post on this board, I respect a difference of opinion.

I would, however, like to know who you think is/was better.

I hope you are not going to say the buffoons on the Morning Rush,
In rank order: Andy fales, Keith Murphy, Chris Williams, Andrew downs, Sean Robert’s, Travis justice, Trent condon, Marty, Ross Peterson,Kent Miller, heather burnside.

In rank order: Andy fales, Keith Murphy, Chris Williams, Andrew downs, Sean Robert’s, Travis justice, Trent condon, Marty, Ross Peterson,Kent Miller, heather burnside.

You must be personal friends with Chris Williams and Andrew Downs to rank them that high? Maybe him being a Cyclone homer has something to do with it, but Williams just doesn’t have the personality for good sports talk radio. Peterson? Good voice and personality for radio, but I think he holds back some.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Total pos. Mouth of the Midwest is a stain from Boston. Seems all NE’s are loud mouth obnoxious aholes. Marty falls into this category.

KXNO has a couple good shows in Murph and Andy and Miller and Condon. Love DP for a National show, can’t stand Cowturd. Fanatics is ok, Williams is a dork and Peterson is either all jacked up on Mountain Dew or on downers and all mellow telling everyone he loves them, weird. Morning rush with Heather, Travis, and Shawn Roberts is useless. They don’t talk about anything, definitely not Seinfeld material here.

Fair enough. I would strongly disagree with Sean Roberts and Travis Justice, though. Both are absolute buffoons.

No Jon Miller? No Deace? I realize neither are on the air, but I’m talking all-time, not just who’s on now.

Fair enough. I would strongly disagree with Sean Roberts and Travis Justice, though. Both are absolute buffoons.

No Jon Miller? No Deace? I realize neither are on the air, but I’m talking all-time, not just who’s on now.
I loathe Deace, although the man knows/knew his college football. I did enjoy Jon Miller as well, and his Hawkeye insights. But anymore with the proliferation of information on the interwebs, there is no information I don't already get in the Lounge. And for me it is less about pure sports, but whose personalities/jokes/banter I enjoy listening too. Taking all of that into account, for the people I remember, here is my amended list:
  1. Andy fales
  2. Keith Murphy
  3. Chris Williams
  4. Andrew downs
  5. Sean Roberts
  6. Travis justice,
  7. Jon Miller
  8. Steve Deace
  9. Trent condon
  10. Marty
  11. Ross Peterson
  12. Ken Miller