ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland blackout

jhawk23

HR All-State
Oct 3, 2015
UMD is taking a page out of our playbook (gold rush against the golden flashes) and organizing a “blackout” for the Oct 1 game. They even created a hashtag for it: #blackoutiowa. I guess that means Hawkeye fans should wear gold.

I think Iowa should always match the uniform to the crowd color. Too bad green isn't in the mix. I saw Boise go all blue and I'll be damned if they didn't just disappear into that blue field 🤪.

There are a good number of hawk fans in the DC area and given the way this season is going, the availability of tickets, and the ease of getting to this stadium, I think we’re going to have a good contingent there. I will be there. I just kind of wish it were at noon on Saturday.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I got the email today. They were trying to sell black shirts through the athletic department. I sent a reply thanking them for making us feel at home! #fightforIowa

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
There must have been some changes in the marketing department after the red pom-poms for Wisconsin. They seem to be doing a better job now days. And even seem to be going a little easier on the corporate whore bits too. We don't want Kinnick to look like Jack Trice Stadium's decorated by NASCAR motif.

Reactions: cecilB
Blackouts never looks that good imo. Looks like no one is there.
Have to say the Black Out in Kinnick for a night game a few years back looked pretty cool. Had a Raider Nation kind of feel to it. That said, I much prefer the stripe out look for night games in Kinnick.

Reactions: Sett1997
I just think coordination is lame and gimmicky. Kinnick crowd looks best when it’s just organically all black and gold.

I actually think their stadium would look pretty cool if they would fill it with mostly black shirts with red, yellow and white speckled in there (and a bunch of Iowa gold, also, of course). They don't tend to fill their stadium though (very rarely do they get 50,000 in there, and attendance at a Friday night game will likely be closer to 40,000), so I don't think this "blackout" is going to be particularly intimidating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT