ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland & Indiana...

Mar 14, 2003
These two games really concern me, similar to the level of Iowa State. IDK, I just have an uneasy feeling about them. I think that is partly because of the type/style of offense they play and knowing Iowa SHOULD be able to run for 200+ on each of them, but will Iowa? I keep having flashbacks to last years Iowa D vs the Maryland/Indiana O. I really want to get through these two games and then let the chips fall where they may...

Iowa will be fine. Iowa will be double digits favorites against Maryland.

These two games really concern me, similar to the level of Iowa State. IDK, I just have an uneasy feeling about them. I think that is partly because of the type/style of offense they play and knowing Iowa SHOULD be able to run for 200+ on each of them, but will Iowa? I keep having flashbacks to last years Iowa D vs the Maryland/Indiana O. I really want to get through these two games and then let the chips fall where they may...

Every game worries you. If it were by your prediction I think Iowa would be 0-7, at best 1-6 as you may have had Iowa beating NT.

Here is what you wrote in one thread you started

"Am I right/wrong to be skeptical? Maybe it's the last couple years and how Iowa has lost that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth? I am very concerned with the Maryland/Indiana primarily because of the type of offenses they run. If Iowa can beat those two teams, then I'll probably start to believe they can get this thing done and win the west. However, as of now I have to say I am still skeptical"

and in another

"#2 is a bold statement, the next two games concern me a lot mainly due to their O's vs our D. However, Minnesota and Purdue will come to play AND Nebraska will be tough/hungry coming off of a bye week."

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARD!

Indiana has a ton of talent, but don't know how to win regularly. When they focus they can be TOUGH. Since it was Carl Davis who ended Sudfeld's--and essentially Indiana's--season last year i bet they come at us every bit as focused as they were against tOSU.

Maryland scares me a lil more than North Texas...

First, it is a bye week so try to relax. Second, stop starting threads where you are concerned. Time to let it go and BELIEVE brother!!!

Reactions: MadDogC and rfgiowa
Our road games concern me most. At Indiana (where OSU escaped with a win) and at Nebby could be tough battles. I know we CAN win them both, but I think we win/lose at Nebby based on how healthy we are. At this point, I'd be surprised at anything worse than 11-1. We should do no worse than split Indy/Nebby and take care of everyone else.

Our defense is a good, hard-hitting, well-tackling bunch. Our run game is excellent all-around (O-line, RBs, and FBs). Our passing game has been explosive because Beathard is a gamer and can extend plays with his legs and our receivers have been solid. King has been killing it on ST.

This is almost a complete team with little weakness. They are darn good! Relax.

our weakness is our pass rush. Ott was the only guy getting to the QB quickly and he's off the field now. A big time QB like Connor Cook might do well against us with so much time. It would be great to find out how we match up against MSU.....

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
I've been to every Iowa game at Bloomington, and only ONCE, have w've been dominant, and that was 2008.
I don't get why this place is such a chamber.

No way you can compare these 2 teams to Iowa State, pretty sure I've read that the Cyclones would be 8-0 with our schedule so far this year!

I don't understand why people even care what the OP thinks? You should go back through his older threads including the one that predicted an ISU Red Bird loss. Lots of stuff mostly negative and wrong

I've been to every Iowa game at Bloomington, and only ONCE, have w've been dominant, and that was 2008.
I don't get why this place is such a chamber.

Yeah it's kinda of crazy, here are some of our games @Indiana

2012 - Loss 21-24
2010 - Win 18-13
2008 - Win 45-9
2006 - Loss 28-31
2002 - Win 24-8
2000 - Loss 33-45

Those are the games under Ferentz in Bloomington

Iowa also lost there in 1998 under Fry by the score of 14-7, lost in 1993 16-10, and won in 1992 14-0.

So you are right, overall in the last 25 years Iowa has been pretty even in Bloomington and most of our wins have been of the close variety.

As a fan, I'd say that the Indiana and Nebraska games should be the toughest for Iowa. Obviously, part of the equation is that they're both road games - so that makes it tough if the home team can gain some momentum. Largely, the biggest issue is that both of those teams have quality, balanced offenses ... and that makes them a bit more difficult to defend. Nebraska poses the additional threat that they're quite good at defending against the run.

The good news is that Iowa's D has the ability to make each of those teams EARN their points. Furthermore, we have an offense that is pretty good at both scoring points AND possessing the ball. It's harder for the opposition to score points if they don't have the ball. Furthermore, our D often is adequately well rested, so they can make things pretty difficult on the opposing O. Lastly, our special teams have been good - they've helped us to better control field position. That not only allows us to play a bit more aggressively on D ... but it also tends to give the O shorter fields to work with.

Iowa is going to have to continue to create turnovers down the stretch here to have success and obviously win the turnover battle when they are doing that.

That 2002 game was more dominant than the score. I never felt we were threatened.

Iowa is going to have to continue to create turnovers down the stretch here to have success and obviously win the turnover battle when they are doing that.
Hasn't that been what our D has been doing? If you shut down the run and you're scoring ... that forces opposing Os to press more than they ordinarily would. That tends to make it easier to guess what they are going to do ... and that opens up opportunities to gain turnovers.

Furthermore, even though our D really hasn't faced an elite offense yet ... they've proven that they can force opposing Os to work for their points. Thus, the bend-but-not-break philosophy has been working as intended. What has been especially surprising about the Hawks is that the O has been able to score, even in the face of all the adversity that they've faced. If they can catch a break in that department and continue to push forward in their development ... our O still has A LOT of room for growth.

Against a decent foe, our O hasn't yet consistently clicked in BOTH the passing and running games. When that happens ... we'll see this team capable of being dominant!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT