ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff

You don't lose because of one play. But many would say Iowa did lose by getting beat deep.

It was a complete lack of discipline. Something you pretty much never see from an Iowa defender. Something completely correctable. And people are freaking out like Iowa isn't any good, smh
Lol, tell me more about all of those famous KF "correctables" most of which never seem to get corrected.

We lost because our HC, per usual, coached scared and tried running out the clock at the start of the 2nd half with a 13-point lead.

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc and 83Hawk
If other things fall into place. We might need this team to beat that team and so on. The chances of that are no better then just winning all our conference games. After all that is all we can control. AND until proven wrong, I am going to say that with the addition of 3 weeks of practice before we go to Columbus, we have a shot. Unless our defense just is not as good as I think it is, they will keep us in every game.
You're probably right. I'm holding out hope still. I think we've relied on our defense too long and the law of averages means we are due for some let downs.

Reactions: obfuscating
HELL will freeze over before THIS team beats Ohio State.
The Offense is still way inadequate against a team with a pulse.
The Capt must go.
I just want a head coach that puts his throat on the other team when given the chance and end them so they have no chance. Iowa had that the entire first half and KF’s conservative style of play prevented that from happening and gave ISU every chance to stick around. So tired of KF’s margin for error being so thin with regards to the outcome when it shouldn’t come into question. Iowa should have been up 21-0 to 28-0 at half on Saturday. It’s time for change when you see what is happening at Missouri and the offensive juggernaut they have become under their coach. Play to win on both sides of the ball.

And I'm not sure how offensive performance relates to a conversation about the playoffs.
This post exemplifies your simple minded approach.

In football, you must score more points than your opponent in order to win.

Offensive performance strongly correlates to scoring points.

Good offensive performance tends to result in more points and, therefore, greater probability of winning.

Greater probabilities of winning are preferred over lesser probabilities of winning because a team’s winning record is the predominate determining factor for qualifying for the playoffs.

Therefore, offensive performance fundamentally relates to any conversation about making the playoffs.

To be confused about how offensive performance relates to playoff possibilities demonstrates ignorance or an inability to apply logic. Get a clue.

Reactions: Iron Doc and 83Hawk
You're probably right. I'm holding out hope still. I think we've relied on our defense too long and the law of averages means we are due for some let downs.
For the past several years KF has forced our D to play a near perfect game just to ensure low-scoring, very close wins against sh*tty opponents. If the D takes even a slight step back, which this D looks poised to take, KF is in serious trouble.

Good offensive performance tends to result in more points and, therefore, greater probability of winning.

Greater probabilities of winning are preferred over lesser probabilities of winning because a team’s winning record is the predominate determining factor for qualifying for the playoffs.

Therefore, offensive performance fundamentally relates to any conversation about making the playoffs.

To be confused about how offensive performance relates to playoff possibilities demonstrates ignorance. Get a clue.
You have to remember this is the same guy that “is not convinced a better offense leads to more wins” (his words) and that a better offense could adversely affect the performance of the defense.

He has no credibility.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
I just want a head coach that puts his throat on the other team when given the chance and end them so they have no chance. Iowa had that the entire first half and KF’s conservative style of play prevented that from happening and gave ISU every chance to stick around. So tired of KF’s margin for error being so thin with regards to the outcome when it shouldn’t come into question. Iowa should have been up 21-0 to 28-0 at half on Saturday. It’s time for change when you see what is happening at Missouri and the offensive juggernaut they have become under their coach. Play to win on both sides of the ball.
The Capt must retire.

I thought the defense seemed confused out there, a lot of shuffling right before the snap and people out of position (Xavier on the deep TD). Not typical of a PP defense.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
We’re gonna need to see a lot more competency out of the offense if we’re even gonna hope for the playoffs

One thing to think this before the season since we have no evidence of what will be in the field

We’ve got two games down and we don’t really have much…again.

I think this offense is up to 2022 standards and that’s because of #2. He’s a home run threat and if he stays healthy he’s our best chance of getting points.

Unfortunately those points will have to come from long runs vs any sort of multiple play / long drives as this team isn’t capable of executing consistently. Even within the same series they are hot and cold. Start the series with the Lester motion, passes over middle….get a first down or two, then immediately switch to Ferentz scheme and lose yardage

Could this team turn it around ? Of course. Playoffs???? No freaking way. Let’s hope that the Lester offense takes over and we find a QB

I thought the defense seemed confused out there, a lot of shuffling right before the snap and people out of position (Xavier on the deep TD). Not typical of a PP defense.
Looking back on the game I think ISU ‘Out-Iowa’d’ Iowa

The first half i couldn’t believe how conservative Matt had his offense. Granted they had some bad field position. But he was playing like Kirk does, run up the gut. Sideline pass. Punt.

It nearly cost them and should have. Of course having Iowa unable to score may have played a part in him keeping things vanilla. Weather the storm and come out second half adjustments

And they did

Iowa was expecting more of those short sideline routes and ISU had the right play call at the right time.

Iowa was unable to adjust, which does go on Phil, but by then ISU was getting yards on the ground and the air. It was basically over since Iowa offense couldn’t only hope for a big run from Johnson

Reactions: obfuscating
The "winnables" are now in question. Minny will be chomping at the bit to get 2 in a row on us and they saw what ISU did with a 2nd string LB crew.

Scoring touchdowns instead of field goals isn't style points. Style points aren't necessary. Points are necessary, as proven by Saturday's game. Our offensive production directly correlates with our chances to get to the playoffs. We must show the committee that we are a good team, and beating other teams soundly is the only way of doing that.
Cade = <

Keep it simple. Step back and look at the bigger picture of the playoffs. The B1G gets a minimum of 2 and almost certainly 3 teams in the playoff. Be in that Top 3 in the AP/Coaches polls...get in the playoffs. Some of you are way overanalyzing things. SEC gets 4 to put it in perspective. I'd say Ohio State and Oregon are likely One/Two...so the fight is for that 3 slot. 10-2 almost certainly is good enough.

To be confused about how offensive performance relates to playoff possibilities demonstrates ignorance or an inability to apply logic. Get a clue.
Most of what you say is true.

But the point was, why are you imposing your narrative about the offense is this thread? Yes, it can correlate to playoff potential. But why are you acting as if I'm supposed to be talking about offense? You initially said, "I like how you've not yet addressed the offensive performance yesterday." No shit Sherlock. Maybe because I started a thread about something else

You initially said, "I like how you've not yet addressed the offensive performance yesterday." No shit Sherlock. Maybe because I started a thread about something else
I never stated that. You have me confused with another poster. Try to stay focused.

I never stated that. You have me confused with another poster. Try to stay focused.
Ah yes, it was 2D.

Regardless, if you had followed the thread with more focus, you'd have realized that I wasn't asking 2D how offensive production literally correlated to playoff chances, but rather was asking what in the hell his insistence that I commented on offense had to do with a thread that I started about playoffs

10-2 puts the Hawks in the running...might not be enough, depends on how everyone else shakes out.

Personally I think the ceiling is 9-3 and out at this point. We'll lose a game we aren't supposed to...

Hopefully that includes wrecking Nebraska's playoff chances :). Silver lining...
Nebraska’s playoff chances are no better than Iowas.

It's not impossible but highly unlikely. Iowa either needs to win the B1G championship or will need lots of help getting in.
As I've seen people talk about a 9-3 team getting in over a 10-2 Iowa team the odds are if the hawks offense doesn't improve drastically they would get leap frogged. It happened last year to Florida St, undefeated conference champion and had 2 other 1 loss conference champs jump them bc of injuries to how they were precieved to preform. If Ole Miss is 9-3 with 1 or 2 quality wins I could easily see the people who think they will be better for ratings over an Iowa team with another bad offense.
I will give credit to KF for doing an amazing job with getting 10 wins last year but the laws of probability eventually even out and the odds of our record last year with the off production should be closer to around .500.
We still play the games so anything can happen until Iowa is out of the conference championship or has 2-3 losses. But I wouldn't bet money on them making the playoffs.

You are correct.

Thought I heard that stat on the broadcast. Maybe I misheard it.

Regardless, it's been since 2014 since Iowa has lost when having led by 10 in the 2nd half
Iowa lost a double digit halftime lead in 2014 to a ISU team that failed to win a Big 12 game. Pathetic. Turtle mode that year also in second half.

2014 was also the year Iowa lost to Braska in OT, and then the school fired their coach for going to OT with Iowa.
One of the funniest and most depressing moments in Hawkeye history. Also a window into how people outside of Iowa really view KF.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF
I'm disappointed it took until the 3rd post

Reactions: CAhawki
HELL will freeze over before THIS team beats Ohio State.
The Offense is still way inadequate against a team with a pulse.
The Capt must go.
#1 Time for a cool change
#2 we all know we should have pounded it in for the score on 1st and goal instead of trying to be sexy. If we cant pound it in from the 1 with 4 tries against ISU, we are in trouble and the OL has not improved one bit.
#3 Think whatever you want, but the man is responsible for the hiring of all our coaches and we have some excellent ones. He is also turning around the perception of Iowas offense and making it a place where skilled offensive players want to come play. Is that going to always look pretty? Probably not.
I will throw in a an extra, our defense melted down and lost focus on the details. But I mean they have been stellar for a long time and still are, but we all have brain farts now and again. So no they are not perfect, they are human and still one of the best group of humans to ever assemble and play defense in college football. They will be better then alright. Glad if they are going to have a melt down it was in a meaningless game (except to fans) and now they can focus on the big prize of winning the B10

Really, it's time for the Big10 to do away with the title game. It could end up cannibalizing its playoff hopefuls.

No it won’t. The top two teams in the Big 10 are making the playoffs every year. It would have to be some crazy thing where a big 10 team would have to go 0-3 in the noncon and then go 8-1 in Big 10 play to not make the playoffs after losing the title game.

Respond to what?

And I'm not sure how offensive performance relates to a conversation about the playoffs.

There is a selection committee. There is absolutely a beauty contest aspect to this. If there wasn’t, FSU makes the playoff last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT