ADVERTISEMENT

Mazda 3 commercial... "Feel Alive"

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
You know, the woman whose big red balloon turns into a red Mazda 3 in the tunnel? And the she drives to a beach and gets out?

I'd get out, too, because I'd feel like a fvcking poor and want to kill myself if I had to drive a freaking Mazda 3....

Trad drives a CRV and is throwing shade on a Mazda 3? Too funny. The Mazda 3 has actually been garnering great reviews from car and driver for several years (ever since Mazda was cut off from Ford’s parts bin). The car you wouldn’t drive cause it makes you “a poor,” looks better, drives better, and is worth more than the car you currently travel for work in.

BTW, you can configure a Mazda 3 to top out around 30k (AWD, premium package, etc).

Last edited:
One of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven was a Mazda Speed3. My buddy owned it - we'd take it out on the hills of NE Iowa every fall and thrash it around...had a blast.

He also owned a regular 3 before the Speed version...damn good car also.

Reactions: torbee and mnole03
Still better than the AT&T “tv will be synergized” commercial every TV timeout during every sporting event.

Mrs Bean Jr. just bought a leftover new 2019 Mazda3 for her everyday car. She paid $20K OTR for a car that had a original$28K+ MSRP....she let me drive it up to Belle Plaine and back and I thought it was a damn fine car...it handled very well. I judged it as a good car and a great value at that price.

A Mazda 3 would be a luxury car compared to my current commuter car.

I do get 41 to 42 miles a gallon so I can live with it.

A Mazda 3 would be a luxury car compared to my current commuter car.

I do get 41 to 42 miles a gallon so I can live with it.

If it gets you where you are going and back without leaving you by the side of the road its still a good deal for a guy. My current work vehicle has 259K+ on it and I'm drive 150 miles with it in the morning at 5AM without fear.

So you enjoyed playing with your Wankel...
Handled as good or better than my current M4, no lie!

Did look a bit ridiculous though, but so fun!

61cdd8307ed78ae02c51172b279cdca8.jpg

I had a Mazda RX8 a few years ago. Manual transmission, 240 HP rotary engine with a redline at 9Krpms.

That car was a BLAST to drive.

Interior was cheaply made, though.

was their gas mileage bad? Ate oil? I can’t remember but there was a universal complaint about them, likely related to rotary engine.

I always wanted won.

was their gas mileage bad? Ate oil? I can’t remember but there was a universal complaint about them, likely related to rotary engine.

I always wanted won.
Mediocre mileage - I'd say around 20-22 on the highway, 15-17 in town.

As far as eating oil, that is a bit overstated. It was like having a car in the 80s - you had to keep an eye on it and check it about every fourth fill up. Sometimes, you might need to top it off a time or two between oil changes. Definitely not a deal breaker, IMO.

I think ever evolving emission requirements combined with the relatively small audience that it enjoyed finally did the Wankel engine in....

Reactions: torbee
As far as eating oil, that is a bit overstated. It was like having a car in the 80s - you had to keep an eye on it and check it about every fourth fill up. Sometimes, you might need to top it off a time or two between oil changes. Definitely not a deal breaker, IMO.
The oil burning is why it couldn't meet emission standards in Europe. Got less MPG than a 350hp Corvette...

I feel like there is an iPad 2 joke to be made here, but I need help putting it together.

If they make an RX9, I will definitely get one!

Mazda patent application suggests it may have RX-9 in mind
It's not concrete evidence, but boy, does this seem like it's intended for a sports car.

September 23, 2019 12:46 PM PDT

00-mazda-rx-vision-concept-tokyo.jpg

Although Mazda will gladly sell sports car buyers an MX-5 Miata, there's long been something missing from the company's stable: a rotary engine-powered sports car. Following the RX-Vision concept, and even the Vision Coupe concept, we've held out for the return of something grander from the Japanese automaker. Like a Mazda RX-9.

If we can put just a little faith in a new patent application, it looks like Mazda wants to grant us our wishes.

Japanese publication Motor Magazine first reported last Wednesday on a patent application Mazda filed for a "vehicle shock absorbing structure." The photo depicts a spaceframe-style platform designed to hold the engine behind the front axle. The patent application, filed in Japan, was made public on Sept. 12. While patent applications should often be taken with grains of salt, there's merit to the rear-wheel drive architecture argument.

mazda-rear-drive-patent-100716792-l.jpg

Will this underpin a new Mazda sports car? We hope so.

JPO
Foremost, let me remind you Mazda was open about the fact it has a longitudinal engine layout coming. Yes, inline-six engines are on the way from Mazda, and the engine layout lends itself to a rear-wheel drive platform. This patent application also shows off a double-wishbone suspension setup (very prominent for sports cars) and a cross-member that runs parallel to the front axle. That lends itself to a RWD platform as well. Note that the patent image's structural drawing doesn't relate to any other Mazda currently in production.

According to the Japanese magazine, an unnamed source claimed that this patent is, indeed, for an RX-9 sports car. The platform will supposedly be a one-off for the RX-9 sports car, though that is harder to digest than what we can buy into from the patent image alone. It's tough to build low-scale sports cars on dedicated platforms these days -- especially for smaller manufacturers, which Mazda absolutely is. It would make far more sense to share this kind of platform with a more luxurious coupe or sedan.

Of course, this is all unconfirmed for now. Automakers routinely file for patents that never see the light of day. However, combined with prior information, it's not hard to hold out hope for another rotary-powered Mazda sports car. Heck, even a luxurious coupe with an inline-six sounds delightful.

Mazda will celebrate its 100th birthday next year, so maybe, just maybe it plans a surprise to ring in its centennial with us all.

Last edited:
I'm currently driving a Mercedes GLC 300 while my Mazda 3 5-speed coupe is in the shop for repairs (got hit by a dump truck). I miss the mazda. The Mercedes is a nice ride, and has lots of giddy-up in sports mode, but it's not fun to drive.
I got the Mazda 3 as a commuter car that I wouldn't care if it got hit in the full combat commuter traffic I drive in. I gets good gas mileage and is a fun car, especially when I take it up the mountain roads to Tahoe. I got it new a few years back for under $16k. I'll send it off to college with the boy once I teach him how to drive stick.
Zoom-Zoom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT