ADVERTISEMENT

MBB players met with Media Today. Drew Thelwell looks really impressive. Owen Up 20 Lbs. Seydou Traore a starter at the 4? Koch can "do everything."

Good analysis Dan. I think either Dembele or Tadjo will be the backup 5. Based on Coach Spurlock’s recent podcast comments, Mulvey isn’t expected to contribute anything. And there doesn’t seem to be any buzz about Brauns stepping up this year.

I think the rotation breaks down as:

Thelwell - Harding
Dix - Pryce
Payton - Koch
Traore - Tadjo and Dembele splitting time
Freeman - Tadjo and Dembele splitting time
I'm sure that Thelwell is an excellent player, but why did he not transfer to a higher program before this year. Sorry, but if he is projected as the starter at point guard it well only be because he is a 5th year player. I saw nothing that indicated that he is better then Brock in the game video's of Drew against the 4 teams of Alabama, Indiana, Purdue, and Penn St. Lot's of floor time where he stood around on both offense and defense, not convinced he will be the leader Iowa is craving for, but there's still 3 and a half months before the start of fall practice, so there's that in Drews favor.
Traore and Tadjo are going to have to be exceptional in practice to play ahead of Dembele as Dembele has already played sufficient minutes last year and proved his worth. I don't care how high Tadjo can jump he won't be able to play the 5 in the Big Ten without fouling out or getting dunked on by opposing players that are 4 to 5 inches taller then he is.
Another thing, Iowa players can talk all want, about defense being a priority, LOL. Iowa under Fran will always be exceptional on offensive and playing fast does not provide the time or effort to play the kind of defense that all of you are craving. It's just not going to happen! Be warned, Fran's pace of play is not going to change and the defense may only get marginally better because of the better athlete's on the roster.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Thelwell is an excellent player, but why did he not transfer to a higher program before this year. Sorry, but if he is projected as the starter at point guard it well only be because he is a 5th year player. I saw nothing that indicated that he is better then Brock in the game video's of Drew against the 4 teams of Alabama, Indiana, Purdue, and Penn St. Lot's of floor time where he stood around on both offense and defense, not convinced he will be the leader Iowa is craving for, but there's still 3 and a half months before the start of fall practice, so there's that in Drews favor.
Traore and Tadjo are going to have to be exceptional in practice to play ahead of Dembele as Dembele has already played sufficient minutes last year and proved his worth. I don't care how high Tadjo can jump he won't be able to play the 5 in the Big Ten without fouling out or getting dunked on by opposing players that are 4 to 5 inches taller then he is.
Another thing, Iowa players can talk all want, about defense being a priority, LOL. Iowa under Fran will always be exceptional on offensive and playing fast does not provide the time or effort to play the kind of defense that all of you are craving. It's just not going to happen! Be warned, Fran's pace of play is not going to change and the defense may only get marginally better because of the better athlete's on the roster.
Well you do know he was brought in for that specific reason, correct? I know you’re upset that your boy Harding won’t just get handed the starting pt guard position. He clearly needed to get stronger and more physical which is why we’re bringing in a veteran. I still think he has a chance to be a nice player but he’s not starting again this year. And that’s ok.

Well you do know he was brought in for that specific reason, correct? I know you’re upset that your boy Harding won’t just get handed the starting pt guard position. He clearly needed to get stronger and more physical which is why we’re bringing in a veteran. I still think he has a chance to be a nice player but he’s not starting again this year. And that’s ok.
I'm hardly upset that the two players are contesting for the starting point guard position as there is still 3 and a half months to the start of fall practice. Unlike you, I'm going to wait and see who is designated the starter from the competition between the two and not just because he was brought in for that specific reason. We'll see.
Fran made the mistake last year by giving the starting position to Desonte Bowen and how did that turn out? I think in the end, Brock will have his say in who leads the team next seasons, not you or me.

If they are “marginally better” on defense I will be happy. I am not a fan of “Izzoball”.

Reactions: Franisdaman
pretty damn high, would love to see them match Ames team with Barnes & McDermott
I played against that late 90's Iowa Falls team of Nick Collison and Michael Lindemann. That was an insane team. We always played them tough but Collison was a beast. They also had a DI baseball player and DI track stud on that team. Lindemann had a solid career with Creighton. And well Collison we all know had a long career playing basketball.

I think/hope that Brock is an even better spark off the bench this year.

I played against that late 90's Iowa Falls team of Nick Collison and Michael Lindemann. That was an insane team. We always played them tough but Collison was a beast. They also had a DI baseball player and DI track stud on that team. Lindemann had a solid career with Creighton. And well Collison we all know had a long career playing basketball.
They were an awesome team.

How many Iowa high school teams have had 2 NBA players on them? And Barnes has been a consistent NBA starter for 10 years now? And look at the numbers McD put up at Creighton. I think you’re pushing it here.
Yeah, probably a stretch to say there were a lot of teams that might have smoked the 3 teams I mentioned.

But you have to realize those guys weren't NBA players at that time. Of course Barnes was a top rated guy. But nobody would have guessed that McDermott would have turned into anything close to what he has. As I mentioned, Gatens' City High team smoked Ames in a holiday scrimmage. Although, as I recall, Barnes was just a sophomore. City didn't have any NBA players. But some college players and NFL athletes.

There are plenty of teams that have had great athletes, that weren't NBA players, that could dominate at the high school level. Over several decades of great teams, I'm not sure Ames is the hill I'd die on.

A lot of it comes down to matchups. For example, Waukee was loaded, but had trouble staying in front of quick guards that would take it right at them. I don't think they'd have done very well against a few of the East Waterloo teams over the years.

There also used to be a lot more size. Collison's team has been mentioned. I don't recall what LaFrentz's teammates were like. But I'm sure he was a handful. The starting five on Russ Millard's Cedar Rapids Washington team, I believe, went 6'9", 6'8", 6'5", 6'5", and 6'3". Their coach at the time made the mistake of not bringing sophomore Dedric Ward up to varsity until the tournament, or that team would have been super scary. But that's another story. But also an example of a 4.29 NFL athlete that could have been a Big Ten PG had he chosen basketball.

As it turned out, that CR Washington team didn't even make it to state, which brings up another point. The power used to be in eastern Iowa. And there are so many great teams from eastern Iowa that never even made it to state because they all had to go through each other in the earlier rounds.

Pretty sure Ricky Davis had at least one really good teammate at Davenport North. But I don't think they won state.

Systems are also huge in highschool ball. For example, Iowa City West has had some teams that will absolutely lock you down with their half-court D. And they've had some talented teams too. Linn-Mar's had some teams that have been running motion offense in their sleep together since they were 7 years old. Jason Bohannon's team was damn good.

So many great teams that go back long before my time. And too many in my time to mention them all. I don't recall how stacked his team was, but I remember Kirk Heinrich put on a mesmerizing performance at state.

It's not necessarily as simple as two NBA players. Although there's no arguing that Ames was great. But a lot can change. For example, Jacob Jaacks name in high school was Jake Crane. He could barely dunk. And he was the fifth best starter on his CR Jefferson team that did not win state. And of course, the Murray twins were two skinny little guys at CR Prairie that had one scholarship offer in highschool

Last edited:
Yeah man just like all those tweets showing Connor McCaffery draining a seemingly endless string of 3PT shots in an empty gym ….or Spencer Petras throwing a 40 yard bullet to a WR in stride on an abandoned high school field in New Jersey.
My memory is different.

Pro Wrestling Fight GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and Mohawkeye
Yeah, probably a stretch to say there were a lot of teams that might have smoked the 3 teams I mentioned.

But you have to realize those guys weren't NBA players at that time. Of course Barnes was a top rated guy. But nobody would have guessed that McDermott would have turned into anything close to what he has. As I mentioned, Gatens' City High team smoked Ames in a holiday scrimmage. Although, as I recall, Barnes was just a sophomore. City didn't have any NBA players. But some college players and NFL athletes.

There are plenty of teams that have had great athletes, that weren't NBA players, that could dominate at the high school level. Over several decades of great teams, I'm not sure Ames is the hill I'd die on.

A lot of it comes down to matchups. For example, Waukee was loaded, but had trouble staying in front of quick guards that would take it right at them. I don't think they'd have done very well against a few of the East Waterloo teams over the years.

There also used to be a lot more size. Collison's team has been mentioned. I don't recall what LaFrentz's teammates were like. But I'm sure he was a handful. The starting five on Russ Millard's Cedar Rapids Washington team, I believe, went 6'9", 6'8", 6'5", 6'5", and 6'3". Their coach at the time made the mistake of not bringing sophomore Dedric Ward up to varsity until the tournament, or that team would have been super scary. But that's another story. But also an example of a 4.29 NFL athlete that could have been a Big Ten PG had he chosen basketball.

As it turned out, that CR Washington team didn't even make it to state, which brings up another point. The power used to be in eastern Iowa. And there are so many great teams from eastern Iowa that never even made it to state because they all had to go through each other in the earlier rounds.

Pretty sure Ricky Davis had at least one really good teammate at Davenport North. But I don't think they won state.

Systems are also huge in highschool ball. For example, Iowa City West has had some teams that will absolutely lock you down with their half-court D. And they've had some talented teams too. Linn-Mar's had some teams that have been running motion offense in their sleep together since they were 7 years old. Jason Bohannon's team was damn good.

So many great teams that go back long before my time. And too many in my time to mention them all. I don't recall how stacked his team was, but I remember Kirk Heinrich put on a mesmerizing performance at state.

It's not necessarily as simple as two NBA players. Although there's no arguing that Ames was great. But a lot can change. For example, Jacob Jaacks name in high school was Jake Crane. He could barely dunk. And he was the fifth best starter on his CR Jefferson team that did not win state. And of course, the Murray twins were two skinny little guys at CR Prairie that had one scholarship offer in highschool
Don't forget those powerhouse teams of tiny Palmer & the great Troy Skinner & Brian Pearson...

Reactions: Hawkbiz
Don't forget those powerhouse teams of tiny Palmer & the great Troy Skinner & Brian Pearson...
Yes. Hard to compare across classes just as it is across eras.

For small schools though, Jess Settles and Klay Edwards at Winfield-Mt. Union definitely worth a mention

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT