ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Post Minnesota thoughts

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
I generally have to wait a few days on these types of games. I guess as a Hawk fan we should see this type of thing coming, but it's still disappointing when it happens. I feel a bit like we are Charlie Brown and Iowa winning a Big 10 title in basketball is Lucy holding a football out in front of us.

In any event, a few thoughts:
  • We will still be a good team later in the season. Last year's defensive progression from start to finish showed that we can improve quite a bit during the season. Bohannon will get better.

• On defense, Minnesota's best play was off of pick and roll at the top of the key:
    • We like to have the helper strong hedge, and the defender to go over the top of the screen, and then the helper will recover once the ball handler's drive is abated and their defender is back in position
    • However, if we don't stop the ball handler right away and get in his face to disrupt the pass to the roller, a 3rd weak side defender has to help all the way into the center of the lane to deny the roller
    • Minnesota consistently kept hitting either the roller or reversed the ball to the weak side (where the 3rd defender was cheating to the lane) for open 3's. They didn't make all of these, but they made enough for it to be a problem.
An example of the pick and roll with reversal is shown on this play (against man):

• On offense, Garza did not handle the double teams very efficiently:
    • When Connor's guy doubles, Connor should flash to the block as he's not a threat on the perimeter. He did this several times, but Garza had started to dribble out of the double team away from the basket. A layup was there if he finds Connor, and if the weak side help tries to deny that then Wieskamp or another shooter is open across the court. But Garza can't bail by dribbling away - he has to keep looking for either the cutter or the cross court pass - otherwise you don't make them pay for it and you'll see it all game long (when Connor or Joe T are in especially). Turn and face, take a retreat dribble if you need to but you HAVE to look at those 2 options.
    • Garza's offensive moves tend to take 2-3 dribbles as he sets up the defender and then does a counter move to get position. This does not work against double teams as it takes too long. Against double teams you need to get good, low position (which he's good at) and use 1 dribble and then release before the double team gets there. His 5 foot hook is great for that purpose, and if he used that heavily he wouldn't have had as many issues - and many misses would be rebounds for Iowa on the weak side as he was drawing 2 defenders each time.
An example of what I mean on the double team is here - Connor is open with a bounce pass but Garza gave up on it and his head is not looking at where the passes should be (settling for a Connor 3 off of a screen from Garza?):

• Regarding players:
    • Garza didn't handle the double teams well, as stated above. Overall was ok, but not as efficient as normal.
    • Nunge is a player I really like, and he's more assertive this year, just not hitting his shots yet. He will. He moves better than I thought and was fronting the Center once and showed great agility that I think is why some NBA scouts have him on their radar. He'll be better.
    • Wieskamp was solid. His defensive rebounding is really impressive. However, when we post him up he uses the same move every time and it's not very effective unless he draws a foul. Same issue happens when he drives into the paint. If he was Garza he would have spent all summer working on 1 or 2 moves for scoring off penetration (floaters, fade aways, step throughs, etc) but it seems like it's the same bag of tricks each year.
    • CJF stepped up and hit a lot of big shots in the first half when Joe W was cold. Always trust his 3 point shot and he will drive on you. Defense doesn't seem quite as good so far this year.
    • Bohannon is struggling to find his groove. I've always thought of him as a volume shooter who does best when he knows he can shoot it at any time, but being a lower volume shooter may not fit his psyche. I think he does better on teams where he needs to be a Top 2 scorer, but that's not this team.
    • Joe T was GREAT. Still scares me quite often, but his decision making was much tighter than past years. He's like a nuclear reactor where you just hope is a controlled reaction. He's good in pick and roll.
    • Keegan should still probably get more minutes than Patrick. I know they view Patrick as Wieskamp's sub at SF and Keegan as a PF rotation player, but given Connor can play anywhere I would rather Keegan substitute in both places. That being said, Patrick had a bit better game in this one - just wish his shot wasn't so flat. /sigh

• Regarding coaching:
    • Obviously we should have fouled late in the game with a 3 point lead. Fran has had this decision before and it seems to differ at times, not sure where he sits on it.
    • It was also odd to be sending Joe T a 67% shooter to the line late in the game rather than Bohannon, but maybe it was easier for him to get open against the press. He did hit his other FT's prior to missing two. End game situations often are a bit rougher earlier in the season but the teams get better at those once they've fine tuned their main offense, defense and out of bounds schemes.
    • EDIT: With 5.7 seconds or so left in regulation, I would DEFINITELY have given it to Joe T once I saw they were playing extended defense, and move Bohannon to a wing. Nobody is going to stop Joe T from getting a decent shot near the rim with that much time left, unless someone helps and then we'll take that kick out jumper too. Bohannon just couldn't get enough space as he can't blow by a determined defender so everyone in the gym know the step back 30 footer was coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News