ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Updated thoughts through Maryland

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Don't want to overdo these posts, but it's been awhile so:
  • Keegan still carrying the load. Against well coached teams with individual "stoppers" who are 6'8" or so and athletic, I expect him to struggle a bit more as they game plan him better and have better personnel to use with it. Team's like MSU for example. But when he's hitting his 3 point shot he's incredible because you know he's going to get everything else (transition points, rebounds, cuts to the rim, post ups, free throws). One thing I don't like is having him hold the ball on a wing isolation and try to beat his guy - he can do it, but it's not his strength. I would rather we run him off some off ball screens and have him catch the ball on the move and go right into a rim attack, because he can get that one step he needs and if he has one step, you are done for.
  • Kris is still second on the team in Advanced Stats (see below) so he's doing well, but clearly struggles in certain spots. I'm ok with him driving and posting up and perhaps struggling a bit with his inside game because he just needs those repetitions if he's to carry a big load next season. Just keep working Kris!
  • Patrick is doing a solid job. Like Keegan he's not great at beating guys into the paint off the dribble when his defender starts in a set position, so he's another guy that needs to work off the ball and catch the ball on the run and attack that way. I think he's playing well enough that although I think Kris is slightly better, it's close enough that I won't argue their minutes and the advanced stats support that take.
  • Connor is still doing some things that never show up in stats - bodying guys up on rebounds even if he doesn't get it, taking fouls when teams have run outs or against Maryland when a guy had an easy rebound layup. He gets the young PG's slowed down in key situations. Don't like him shooting 3's and teams do sag off him which hurts other players, but overall I'm ok with him. That being said, Kris should be eating into his minutes as the year goes on - he's a situational player, not a 20 mpg player (10-12 mpg perhaps).
  • Joe T had a great game against Maryland. His advanced stats don't show him playing better than Bohannon yet, but it's close. He is making better decisions than last year and taking that 15 footer instead of settling for the 3. He's a bit more under control on drives - he still does throw some playground, low percentage passes at times where the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk, but it is better than last year.
  • Ulis is doing a good job overall - I like his ability to rebound and to finish some shots in the lane. He clearly prefers contested 14 footers to 3 pointers, but in general he's playing pretty well.
  • Perkins is a guy who can beat his defender to the paint even when the defender is set, so he adds that to the roster for sure, plus he's just a gamer. He's our swiss army knife who brings energy, and then a little bit of whatever we need at the time (defense, transition, paint penetration, rebounds, grit).
  • Rebraca - he's not as much of a 3 point shooter as I thought, but he does a ton of dirty work that doesn't show up in stats and I love how smart he is with being physical and knowing where to be with position on defense. Wish he could block shots, but he's mostly a position defender and does a good job with that. On offense he really wants that right handed 6 foot hook and then has a few other options. It is interesting that almost all of his missed FT's are long, I think adding 2" of arch would help both the softness of his shot and the distance.
  • Bohannon is playing his role. His defense is a bit better than last year with him not handling PG duties, but it's still below average. What is invisible about his value is the court spacing he provides the other players, especially Keegan, when he is on the floor. You can guard Joe T or Ulis at 15 feet when they don't have the ball, but you have to be at about 20 feet when Bohannon is on the floor. That extra 5 feet is HUGE when the other guys are making cuts or drives.
  • Sandfort is a guy I really like and he competes. An average defender but he's a key part of the team next year as a very skilled offensive player who can do more than shoot 3's, so a bit more time would be good for him just for development.
Overall I like our offense and how much we feature Keegan. We need more movement against zones but overall our transition and offensive execution is pretty good. Defensively our on-ball defense and stopping guys from turning the corner is horrific, and when beat we require help and teams get easy drop off baskets or kick outs. You just can't get beat that often. Our defensive rebounding has gone from an F to a C- or D+, but improved. However our ability to keep guys from beating us to the paint is about a D- currently. Next big thing to work on - you would think Joe T, Ulis and Perkins could do this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.