ADVERTISEMENT

Media met w/ Players & w/ Kirk Today. How is Lainez looking? Brian Allen's been incredible. Higgins has others thinking of coming back

Ummm, the Chargers are in LA now, Kirk.

Full text of tweet:

I admittedly had not heard a "Kirk Ferentz to Chargers" rumor but he shot that down to open his comments today.

“I just want to set the record straight. San Diego has not reached out to me at all. It's been really quiet. I did look at a job there in 1996 but haven’t heard from them since. Take that off the rumor board.”

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and Torg
Full text of tweet:

Kirk Ferentz on Brian Ferentz about to coach his last game at Iowa. Brian will be done as OC, after a university decision outside of football, after the Citrus Bowl.

“I'm appreciative he’s here. I’m appreciative he’s coached these last five games. I’m appreciative he’s been a coach for 12 years in the program and been fully invested. Done a lot of really good things for us. His contributions are really very valuable, like a lot of guys on the staff. And (playing) career, five years, he left a couple body parts out there. It’s important to him. It’s always been important to him. … I don't want to speak for him, but part of his motivation is – like all of us – (is) he cares about the players we work with on a day-to-day basis.”

Full text of the tweet:

Nick Jackson confirms he was granted another season of eligibility, has a decision to make ahead.

“You’re like, I don’t really have another year. And now, it’s like whoa, you do. Just try to process it, talk to my family, trying to get all the information.”

Ummm, the Chargers are in LA now, Kirk.

Full text of tweet:

I admittedly had not heard a "Kirk Ferentz to Chargers" rumor but he shot that down to open his comments today.

“I just want to set the record straight. San Diego has not reached out to me at all. It's been really quiet. I did look at a job there in 1996 but haven’t heard from them since. Take that off the rumor board.”

Or, did he do it purposely because LA had and Kirk did not want to fib.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Leistikow's 4 Citrus Bowl thoughts on Brian Ferentz's final game, Nick Jackson's waiver

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Dec 28, 2023

ORLANDO, Fla. − Two years ago, Iowa came into the Citrus Bowl here off a drubbing by Michigan in the Big Ten Championship Game and faced a Southeastern Conference opponent.

And even though the Hawkeyes lost a 20-17 battle against Kentucky in the final minutes, the offense looked … dare we say it … good?

Iowa gained 384 yards in that contest at Camping World Stadium and averaged 6.4 yards per play, a mark the program hasn’t exceeded since. Three ill-timed turnovers doomed Iowa, but the run game clicked and the pass game was humming after a 42-3 loss to Michigan four weeks earlier.

Could that possibly be an encouraging sign that given a December's worth of preparation, a Brian Ferentz offense can take a similar jump forward?

We will find out in Monday’s Cheez-It Citrus Bowl when Iowa (at 10-3, just like it was two years ago) takes on Tennessee (8-4) in a noon CT matchup televised on ABC.

72051231007-262-a-6903.jpg

Iowa QB Deacon Hill throws a pass during Thursday's practice at Celebration (Fla) High School on Thursday, with offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz looking on.

“I think we’re seeing some good things,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said about the offense after Thursday’s rainy practice at Celebration High School. “And we're certainly capable.”

Emerging Iowa wide receiver Kaleb Brown voiced confidence in the Hawkeyes’ improvement on offense since a 26-0 shutout loss to the Wolverines in Indianapolis.

“I feel like with the game plan we’ve got, if we follow through with what we’ve been practicing, I think that’s golden right there,” Brown said.

The starting quarterback remains Deacon Hill, though true freshman Marco Lainez has made big gains in December, Kirk Ferentz said.

Hill also could be piloting his final game as an Iowa starter, with injured Cade McNamara – who announced he will return for the 2024 season – coming back for a sixth season. McNamara was taking snaps in shorts and a T-shirt in side drills at Thursday’s practice.

Hill deflected talk about his own future, but instead emphasized how this bowl-prep period has helped him build more chemistry with wide receivers like Brown, Nico Ragaini, Jacob Bostick, Kaden Wetjen and Seth Anderson. Remember, Hill was thrust into the starting role after McNamara’s torn ACL in the first quarter against Michigan State in Week 5. That growing rapport could be meaningful against a Tennessee secondary that has lost one starter and several contributors due to transfers and opt-outs.

“I feel good,” Hill said. “I’ve got a lot of confidence in this team. The defense is one of the best, and the offense is getting better each week.”

The Brian Ferentz storyline remains central in this game.

As everyone knows, this is his final game as Iowa’s offensive coordinator. This must be an emotional week for him and his father, who have worked side by side for the last 12 seasons since Brian became offensive line coach in 2012. And, of course, Brian was a five-year player for his father from 2001 to 2005 − a multi-year starter and a team captain who nearly lost his leg due to a staph infection.

Soon, Hawkeye ties will be cut – at least professionally – for Brian Ferentz. He was informed in late October by university administration that he would not be retained on staff after another statistically dismal year for the Hawkeyes’ offense. Iowa ranks last in FBS in offense, at 239.3 yards per game.

“I'm appreciative he’s here. I’m appreciative he’s coached these last five games. I’m appreciative he’s been a coach for 12 years in the program and been fully invested,” Kirk Ferentz said. “… And (playing) five years, he left a couple body parts out there. It’s important to him. It’s always been important to him.

“I don't want to speak for him, but part of his motivation is – like all of us – (is) he cares about the players we work with on a day-to-day basis.”

Is this a “win one for Brian” situation?

Sort of.

Iowa’s offense gave its coordinator a good sendoff in the home finale Nov. 18 against Illinois, a 15-13 comeback win. This is another chance to finish things on the right note.

“My view of him won’t change no matter the outcome of this game,” Iowa left tackle Mason Richman said. “He’s a great person. I’m going to wish him the best, but I’m going to ride this out with him.

“That's been one of our small motivations. Throughout the year, we have many goals and that just adds one to the pile and is an extra motivation for us.”

No offensive coordinator hire until … mid-January?

That is the latest timetable that Kirk Ferentz referenced in 10 minutes with reporters after Thursday’s practice.

“Obviously, it's tabled right now. The focus is right on this game,” he said. “We hope to have a clearer idea the first two, three weeks of January. I’d like to think by the third week of January we’ve got it done. I feel really optimistic right now we’ll end up with a really good person.”

There was a report Wednesday night from a Wisconsin fan site that former Badgers head coach Paul Chryst was no longer in the running for the OC position at Iowa. That report was inaccurate, per a source with knowledge of the situation. Chryst remains in the mix, as does former Iowa offensive line coach Joe Philbin and at least one yet-to-be-identified (publicly, anyway) candidate.

A delay until the third week of January just means Ferentz wants to get the hire right, even if that is detrimental to his current or possible incoming roster. The Hawkeyes’ personnel priority remains on trying to retain several players with NFL decisions to make, with most of those on defense. That approach is a good one, especially with linebacker Jay Higgins getting things off to a good start by announcing his return Tuesday.

Story continues in next post....

Developments in Sebastian Castro, Nick Jackson decisions

The Jackson development has been sudden. He was recently granted a waiver by the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility because his senior year at Virginia (2022) was cut short after three football players were shot and killed when another student opened fire on a charter bus during a field trip.

Jackson spoke glowingly on Thursday about his one year at Iowa after transferring. He grinned at the relationships he’s made and how much fun he had playing at Kinnick Stadium, especially on third downs. He enjoyed talking about the many false starts Iowa's crowd has caused for opposing offenses.

“It's a college football dream to play at Kinnick and just at Iowa, honestly. It’s been unreal,” Jackson said. “Like even when we went to Wrigley (Field), remember that? Just the fans here, the culture here, the guys here, the coaches here, it’s unbelievable.”

Jackson's mind is racing because of the NCAA ruling. He was intent on going to the NFL. Now, he’s got a decision to make. He will celebrate his 23rd birthday on Jan. 5. He's also proven himself over a long period of time. But leaving a place he’s grown to love would be tough, too.

“It’s kind of a weird time to get (the waiver),” Jackson said. “I’m (thinking) I don’t have another year and now it’s like, ‘Whoa, I do.’ Just trying to process it, talk to my family, trying to get all my information to make the best decision. … Honestly, this decision isn’t about me, it’s about a lot of people.”

Higgins' decision to come back is a factor.

“Having Jay here is critical, it’s crucial,” Jackson said. “That’s my best friend. That means a lot, for sure.”

Jackson has started all 13 games at Iowa and, remarkably, will play in his 60th college game Monday against Tennessee and make his 47th college start. If he came back, he would end up with potentially 60 college starts in 70-plus games. Unthinkable numbers.

Meantime, fifth-year senior defensive back Sebastian Castro seems to have a good idea which way he is leaning but won’t announce his intent until after the Citrus Bowl. Castro has been dynamic as Iowa’s cash defender in the 4-2-5 alignment.

“Probably at most, 2-3 days, something like that,” Castro said. “It’s a win-win situation. I’ve always wanted to play in the NFL. Coming back and getting better and playing in this environment, it’s not a bad deal.”

The shape of Iowa's 2024 roster will be known within weeks, with the NFL deadline for underclassmen being Jan. 15.

But among players with decisions to make, with the OC hire looming and the Brian Ferentz story simmering, there was still a vocal importance placed Thursday on the game at hand against Tennessee.

“Our focus right now," Kirk Ferentz said, "is on winning this football game.”

72048744007-img-1492.jpg

Iowa defensive back Jermari Harris (27) runs drills with his teammates during Citrus Bowl practice on Thursday, Dec 28, in Celebration, FL.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 29 years with The Des Moines Register and USA TODAY Sports Network. Join Chad's text-message group (free for subscribers) at HawkCentral.com/HawkeyesTexts. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT