ADVERTISEMENT

Medicare negotiated drug prices...some observations

Sure they should. And the seller can then take the offer or not.

But to your second sentance, some pharm company is the only supplier of some drug. That pharm company knows it can’t stand the PR beating the pols would give it if it declined the gubmint’s offer. Government coercion again.
It's not simply pr, it's that their total sales (to my read, including their non-government sales) become subject to a 2200% tax.

No, No, and No.
So a child is born to a poor family. That infant will die for lack of a life saving procedure. A procedure that has a 100% likelihood of curing the disease. You’re saying the society you want to live in will sacrifice that child for the want of higher taxes?

I do not want to live there and if you believe that, you’re an awful awful person.

No. But all these “we should provide this and that” posters had better stare at that number a while.
I’ll agree with this. But federal spending should be reserved for national issues that can only be solved nationally. Healthcare cannot be fixed state by state.

I'm going to interrupt this circle jerk with some facts...
Walgreens and CVS are two companies having to realign their business model.

Both companies have seen their profit margins under stress amid declining reimbursement from Medicare/Medicaid/insurance because of the Biden/Harris efforts to lower drug costs.
Both companies have seen the price of their stock decline significantly YTD.
What's one solution?
Lower retail prices to increase unit sales!
That's a win for consumers.

Both companies have seen their profit margins under stress amid declining reimbursement from Medicare/Medicaid/insurance because of the Biden/Harris efforts to lower drug costs.
What's one solution?
actually, one of the biggest hits to their bottom lines has been manufacturers clamping down on their participation in the 340 program.

And guess what, the ira negotiated prices aren’t going to help on that front because the price is a pass through. Worse yet, four of the ten neg prices are lower than the 340b prices they can access. Having to pass thru discounts is most assuredly not going to help their bottom lines.

CVS is another story as the poor stepsister to its cousins cmrx and zinc, which payors have had just about enough of in terms of their revenue skimming.

actually, one of the biggest hits to their bottom lines has been manufacturers clamping down on their participation in the 340 program.

And guess what, the ira negotiated prices aren’t going to help on that front because the price is a pass through. Worse yet, four of the ten neg prices are lower than the 340b prices they can access. Having to pass thru discounts is most assuredly not going to help their bottom lines.

CVS is another story as the poor stepsister to its cousins cmrx and zinc, which payors have had just about enough of in terms of their revenue skimming.
Lost in your analysis regarding my mention of Walgreens and CVS is that they will close some locations resulting in additional savings as overhead is reduced and savings passed to consumers.
There will be some inconvenience with less locations, but still a plus for the general public.
All this stuff is trickle down from the WH efforts to lower drug costs.

Lost in your analysis regarding my mention of Walgreens and CVS is that they will close some locations resulting in additional savings as overhead is reduced and savings passed to consumers.
There will be some inconvenience with less locations, but still a plus for the general public.
All this stuff is trickle down from the WH efforts to lower drug costs.
How is retail pharmacy not a dying business model? Pharmacy by mail is the future.

Reactions: MitchLL
So a child is born to a poor family. That infant will die for lack of a life saving procedure. A procedure that has a 100% likelihood of curing the disease. You’re saying the society you want to live in will sacrifice that child for the want of higher taxes?

I do not want to live there and if you believe that, you’re an awful awful person.
No. I’m saying a society is not obligated to provide such care.

But it should.

If Americans are paying more for drugs than foreign people pay for the same drug from the same company that needs to stop.

Not sure it happens but you read stories how certain drugs cost way less in Mexico or Canada. Perhaps that can be explained with a because those countries subsidize the cost.

Also maybe the patent length needs to be reduced on drugs.
It happens a ton. That's part of the reason for the medical tourism industry.

What's one solution?
I moved my prescriptions from Walgreens to Costco about a year and a half ago after noticing that the prices they charged were consistently and significantly higher. They need to heed the old market adage of "Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. "

I moved my prescriptions from Walgreens to Costco about a year and a half ago after noticing that the prices they charged were consistently and significantly higher. They need to heed the old market adage of "Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. "
I believe you. They expanded way too fast and they usually have those "corner lot" locations that probably didn't come cheap.

The society I want to live in doesn’t see taxes as the only solution to any given situation.

Taxes and bureaucracy are extremely crude, expensive and inefficient methods to solve problems, and should be exercised as sparingly as possible.

The society I want to live in doesn’t see taxes as the only solution to any given situation.

Taxes and bureaucracy are extremely crude, expensive and inefficient methods to solve problems, and should be exercised as sparingly as possible.
Exactly how would you fund public services like fire protection, road maintenance, snow removal, and the like?

Exactly how would you fund public services like fire protection, road maintenance, snow removal, and the like?
I appreciate OPs post enough to not go down that path in this thread, but I’ll answer you in another if you want to start the conversation.

My initial post was to point out this whole system is a mess because consumers are largely cut out of it.

In the end, there are only a few ways to do things.

You pay for what you get, in which case you care about cost and quality/quantity in the proportion each matter to you for the thing in question.
Maybe you buy expensive tires, but cheap towels.

You pay for what someone else gets, which leans you toward greater interest in cost than quality/quantity. Especially when you’re operating a budget that has to last until date X, with unknown between then and now still to come. That’s not even getting into the perverse incentives of expending budgets to ensure they’re never cut. Efficiency is incidentally, but generally, punished in this regard.

Someone else pays for what you get, in which case you don’t have to care about cost, so your focus is on quality/quantity (at Someone’s unrewarded expense). When cost quits regulating consumption shelves empty in a manner similar to price controls. The cost becomes standing in line in order to be among the first when the shelves restock.

The Someone else pays category can really get bad for society when the Someone else is being forced to pay with government debt. It seems for a while as if no is having to pay at all.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT