ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson: Naismith, AP, USBWA, ESPN & Honda National POY! Lisa Leslie Award! 2x B1G POY!

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

Iowa Women's BBall‏Verified account@IowaWBB
6h6 hours ago

"(Gustafson) is the best that I’ve seen. She’s truly the best center in the country, bar none. The beautiful part about Gustafson is she runs. She played 35 minutes. She did everything on both ends of the floor. We had no answer for her. None."

-C. Vivian Stringer, Head Coach, Rutgers

#Hawkeyes

DxpnqGrUUAA6ypC.jpg

Last edited:
It just might be an injustice if she doesn’t win national POY.
Might? Reading those stats how does she not, assuming they don't change.

Stats show she is very much deserving but , if I had $$, I would bet the people who vote will go for a ND or UConn player. Don’t know their names but their stars will get the votes

Reactions: BDJHawk and Ronman
Stats show she is very much deserving but , if I had $$, I would bet the people who vote will go for a ND or UConn player. Don’t know their names but their stars will get the votes

Yup. I mean honestly, how much do the national (voting) media pay attention to anyone outside of Storrs, South Bend or any other of the elite? She'll likely get a few votes, but will get the "but she plays on a team that doesn't play anyone and she's the only option" sort of BS.

Might? Reading those stats how does she not, assuming they don't change.

Not disagreeing but considering last year she led the country in points and FG% while being fifth in rebounds per game, and according to her bio one of two players in the last 10 years to average at least 24 and 12 in the whole country...and she was not a unanimous first team AA and wasn't even top 10 for NPOY awards...

It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that she could be a finalist and lose to someone from ND or UConn because that's the way women's bball is.

Not disagreeing but considering last year she led the country in points and FG% while being fifth in rebounds per game, and according to her bio one of two players in the last 10 years to average at least 24 and 12 in the whole country...and she was not a unanimous first team AA and wasn't even top 10 for NPOY awards...

It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that she could be a finalist and lose to someone from ND or UConn because that's the way women's bball is.
Yup.

I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't 1st team AA this year either with how far up the rears of the "elite" programs the NCAA and the small portion of the media that covers women's college basketball is..............

This is why UConn was bad for women's basketball....and why Bama was bad for college football.

Ionescu is having an amazing season as well....20 PPG, 7.8 RPG and 8.4 APG.

A case can be made that Samuelson from UCONN the best player in the nation as well.

And McCowan is likely the best post defender in the nation and is averaging 17.3 PPG and 13.7 RPG.

Ionescu is having an amazing season as well....20 PPG, 7.8 RPG and 8.4 APG.

A case can be made that Samuelson from UCONN the best player in the nation as well.

And McCowan is likely the best post defender in the nation and is averaging 17.3 PPG and 13.7 RPG.

You can identify the "best womens post defender" in the nation?

Great article about Megan today.

If you haven't seen her play....go to a game. I wish fewer people had such an illogical knee-jerk "ick" response whenever women's basketball is brought up. They're missing out on some fantastic basketball.

What a great story she is and such an excellent young person too. Imagine her AND Michelle Edwards on the same team...add 3 other folks that only dribble and they still might be national champs. :)

Reactions: Hawk24
You can identify the "best womens post defender" in the nation?

I watch way to much basketball.
You’d do it. too much
I love Megan. Hardest working player I’ve ever seen. But, can’t help thinking of Paul Simon’s One Trick Pony. Incredible threat in the low post. Defense average. Wish she was the best post player in the country. Maybe she’ll get the votes.

If she just had a better supporting cast the last 4 years could have been extra special during her career.

Iowa Women's BBall‏Verified account@IowaWBB
3h3 hours ago

No one has ever won more @B1Gwbball Player of the Week Awards!

Congrats on your record-breaking honor, @GustafsonMeg10!

Release: https://bit.ly/2Bu4OHJ |

#Hawkeyes #FightForIowa

Women's Basketball 2/4/2019

Gustafson Breaks B1G Record with 20th Career Player of the Week Award

IOWA CITY, Iowa –
For the 10th time this season, University of Iowa women's basketball senior Megan Gustafsonhas been named the Big Ten Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday.

It is the 20th Big Ten Player of the Week Award of Gustafson's career. She now owns the conference record for career weekly awards, besting Jantel Lavender's (Ohio State) previous mark of 19. Gustafson also broke her own single-season record with her 10th honor this season.

The Port Wing, Wisconsin, native averaged 28.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, and shot 75.0 percent from the field in two road contests last week. She led all scorers with 27 points on 79 percent shooting from the field (11-for-14) against Michigan on Feb. 1. She also made 5-of-6 free throws, pulled down nine rebounds, dished out two assists, and denied four shots.

On Feb 3, Gustafson scored a game-high 30 points, shooting 13-for-18 (72.2 percent) from the field in Iowa's win at Penn State. She registered 11 rebounds to notch her 20th double-double of the season. She also recorded five assists, three blocks, and was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line.

Gustafson and the No. 16/12 Hawkeyes return to action Thursday, hosting Michigan State. Tipoff is at 8 p.m. (CT) on BTN.

DylO2CJU8AA4Q_I.jpg

01032019_IowaWBBVSNebraska105.JPG

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT