ADVERTISEMENT

Methodists repeal ban on LGBTQ clergy

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The schism within the Methodist church has been discussed here before, and I can say there was a healthy debate at my church over the subject. Around the nation there was great turmoil in many congregations, so to see this level of movement in only a few years is heartening. The ban was enacted in 1984. There will also be greater acceptance of same sex marriage.
https://www.kcrg.com/2024/05/01/uni...urchs-longstanding-ban-lgbtq-clergy/?tbref=hp

Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

You know it is a dumb, polarizing argument when the laziest and fakest religious sect has a schism over it and everyone pretends like it matters when none of them really care.

At the end of the day, it's their church, and they can set the process for their own internal discipline, as well as the core elements of what they believe (which in the case of Methodism is a comparatively small number of things). Either way, this is not at all surprising given that their schism resulted in most of the "other voices" of their debate leaving. I suppose that's one way to "win," though not exactly the "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic" approach that's sort of contemplated by the Creed.

That said...I was raised in the Methodist church, and purely coincidentally, at the time I was converting to Catholicism, they were in the early stages of their schism. For unknown reasons, I tuned in and watched some of the debates at their general conference, and I have to say, setting aside the substance of the particular issue, I'm sorta glad that my current church ("synodality" notwithstanding) doesn't make decisions this way. It all seemed so fleeting, rather than timeless.

Reactions: BrianNole777
You know it is a dumb, polarizing argument when the laziest and fakest religious sect has a schism over it and everyone pretends like it matters when none of them really care.
Having bunches of handles is polarizing and lazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT