ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer's attorneys seek $2M more for attorney fees & 3x Back Pay; Barta guaranteed $4.6M thru 2021

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Folks, this whole Jane Meyer / Tracey Griesbaum mess is getting very expensive for the U of I.

Some excerpts from an article from HawkCentral:

As we know, a unanimous ruling from an eight-person jury awarded Jane Meyer $1.43 million for the university’s “willful” discrimination. Unanimous on all five counts: gender and sexual orientation discrimination, retaliation and whisteblower violations, and unequal pay.

In addition, Meyer’s attorneys are going to ask for around $2 million more from the university, in part to cover attorney’s fees, while also asking for an investigation into the Hawkeye athletics department over treatment of men vs. women.

“A jury of Iowans said he (Gary Barta) violated Iowa law,” Thomas Newkirk, one of Meyer’s attorneys, said Thursday....he testified in his deposition that if he violated the law, then he possibly should be disciplined or removed from his position."

Oh, and there’s the matter of the wrongful-termination lawsuit of former field hockey coach Tracey Griesbaum. That trial is scheduled to begin in Polk County on June 5.

University leadership — including president Bruce Harreld, who last year gave Barta a whopping raise and contract extension that guaranteed him $4.6 million through 2021 — has a big decision ahead.

Much of this Meyer trial revolved around whether she was deserving of being demoted from her position of the department's No. 2.

The question after Thursday is, is it time for Iowa to find a new No. 1?

UPDATE: Note that the $2 million number above that Meyer's lawyers are seeking would include the university paying for Meyer's legal fees and a tripling of her $374,000 awarded for back pay. Iowa law allows Meyer and her attorneys to ask a judge to triple the award for back pay because jurors found the university's actions were "willful," attorney Jill Zwagerman said.

Link to entire article:
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-jane-meyer-ruling-university-iowa/311222001/

Last edited:
I think it' safe to assume this:

If the UI loses the Gresibaum case too, then change will be happening in UI athletic department. You can't have back-to-back rulings against you and just ignore any change that will need to follow.

Leistikow makes it pretty clear where that change probably will happen.

can I sue Colin Cowherd for discriminating against me because I'm an Iowa Hawkeye fan?

imo, the only people that want Gary Barta fired are the same people that want Kirk Ferentz fired... and the Iowa Hawkeye football program to fail.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?
Be not deceived:
neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate,
nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards,
nor revilers, nor extortioners,
shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Barta will be fired at some point. Too bad the person who could of made the transition a smooth one was just hired away.

Last edited:
fire Gary Barta for what reason?

Serious? U of I just lost this civil trial with the jury Unanimous on all five counts: gender and sexual orientation discrimination, retaliation and whisteblower violations, and unequal pay. All of this goes right back to Barta being the one responsible in the AD. So yeah those could be valid reasons one could lose his job.

While I DO NOT agree with the verdict, Barta's gonna be out because of this. Someone's is going to have to be the fall guy. U of I really doesn't have much of a choice, sadly.

This is another example, in a long list of examples, of an agenda push and they found a jury to go along.

Serious? U of I just lost this civil trial with the jury Unanimous on all five counts: gender and sexual orientation discrimination, retaliation and whisteblower violations, and unequal pay. All of this goes right back to Barta being the one responsible in the AD. So yeah those could be valid reasons one could lose his job.
Not to mention her partner's trial starts next month and Iowa could lose that one as well after this verdict.

Are you serious. The man has just lost a trial where he has been proven to be guilty of discrimination. He might as well publicly called her a freaking bull dyke queer because the results are the same. Any company with a zero tolerance policy has to take action based on the trial results.

Oh Andy - it was the longest night of his life!

Are you serious. The man has just lost a trial where he has been proven to be guilty of discrimination. He might as well publicly called her a freaking bull dyke queer because the results are the same. Any company with a zero tolerance policy has to take action based on the trial results.

Oh Andy - it was the longest night of his life!

In this case the athletic department's (led by Barta) incompetence in dealing with an employee who he thought was doing a poor job has resulted in this verdict. Staggering that they didn't do the proper documentation for managing a poor-performing employee. Within the first day or two of Barta being on the stand when it became evident that there was next to no documentation of Meyer's job performance that the UI was going to lose.

Reactions: EHS91
In this case the athletic department's (led by Barta) incompetence in dealing with an employee who he thought was doing a poor job has resulted in this verdict. Staggering that they didn't do the proper documentation for managing a poor-performing employee. Within the first day or two of Barta being on the stand when it became evident that there was next to no documentation of Meyer's job performance that the UI was going to lose.

I agree; Barta has been proven to be incompetent. Two examples:
* Why didn't he document his warnings to Meyer so that there was a logical paper trail leading to her firing?
* Why wasn't Meyer fired on the spot on the day Meyer went crazy on Barta when Barta announced Griesbaum's firing in a dept meeting? Even Gene Taylor told Barta that HE would have fired Meyer!

Lets look at the total dollars caused by Barta's incompetence:

$1.4 owed Meyer
$2.0 owed Meyer's attorneys & for possilbe tripling of the $374K in back pay
$4.6 owed Barta (guaranteed $) if they fire him
$2.0 possibly owed Griesbaum (she has a better case than Meyer, imo) in her lawsuit
$2.0 possibly owed Giesbaum's attorneys

UPDATE: Note that the $2 million number above that Meyer's lawyers are seeking would include the university paying for Meyer's legal fees and a tripling of her $374,000 awarded for back pay. Iowa law allows Meyer and her attorneys to ask a judge to triple the award for back pay because jurors found the university's actions were "willful," attorney Jill Zwagerman said.

Here is a pic of Meyer and Griesbaum after the press conference yesterday:

636295221777054814-170504-JaneMeyer-441.JPG

Last edited:

And if there was no documention of the employees work performance being poor who does that fall on? It's pretty clear you can't let an employee go for poor performance at this level with out the proper documentation.. THATS on Barta and his staff for pushing that through with out the right steps being put in place.. who did he think he was the CEO of John Deere in the 60's??

And if there was no documention of the employees work performance being poor who does that fall on? It's pretty clear you can't let an employee go for poor performance at this level with out the proper documentation.. THATS on Barta and his staff for pushing that through with out the right steps being put in place.. who did he think he was the CEO of John Deere in the 60's??

And Meyer presented thank you notes from KF and Tom Brands as her documentation that she was a great employee!

I think it' safe to assume this:

If the UI loses the Gresibaum case too, then change will be happening in UI athletic department. You can't have back-to-back rulings against you and just ignore any change that will need to follow.

Leistikow makes it pretty clear where that change probably will happen.

hate to say it, but i think Griesbaum has a better case than Meyer did!

Reactions: frydaze
Why does everyone, including the DM Reg columnist, presume Griesbaum's case to be stronger than Meyer's? Griesbaum took a buyout. She endorsed the check. End of story, no? Would appreciate some informed speculation from the DM legal elite on this. I'd also expect the Register and Gazette to interview the jurors. Most people did not expect this verdict, based on the reporting of the testimony.

And Meyer presented thank you notes from KF and Tom Brands as her documentation that she was a great employee!

Oh wow, what the heck was he thinking?!?! Maybe it might be a good idea for him to start dusting off the ole Resume.. I don't see how a person in his spot could have made a decision like this to bring not only himself but also the university under this kind of scrutiny .. if he makes out of this with his job he'll be lucky..

Oh wow, what the heck was he thinking?!?! Maybe it might be a good idea for him to start dusting off the ole Resume.. I don't see how a person in his spot could have made a decision like this to bring not only himself but also the university under this kind of scrutiny .. if he makes out of this with his job he'll be lucky..

i dont know how he survives; the key quote in my orig post is this, imo:

“A jury of Iowans said he (Gary Barta) violated Iowa law,” Thomas Newkirk, one of Meyer’s attorneys, said Thursday....he testified in his deposition that if he violated the law, then he possibly should be disciplined or removed from his position."

I don't think Gary Barta should be fired.... the Lawyers representing U of I should be fired.
I still don't see anything that would warrant the firing of Gary Barta.

Reactions: wdhawk

Barta will be fired at some point. Too bad the person who could of made the transition a smooth one was just hired away.

Remember that Gene Taylor told Barta that he would have fired Meyer on the spot for insubordination after she berated Barta after Barta announced Griesbaum's firing in a staff meeting

Reactions: cocoem
The fact that she kept all these notes almost makes me think she has been planning this lawsuit for awhile.

i dont know how he survives; the key quote in my orig post is this, imo:

Lock him up! Lock him up!

Reactions: blhawk
You must have been reading different testimonial excerpts than I. It was pretty clear she was described as Cancer & Malcontent even by those practicing the same lifestyle. I didn't realize you could find that many absolutely Stupid people and get them on the same Jury.

I say bullsh*t!

I agree; Barta has been proven to be incompetent. Two examples:
* Why didn't he document his warnings to Meyer so that there was a logical paper trail leading to her firing?
* Why wasn't Meyer fired on the spot on the day Meyer went crazy on Barta when Barta announced Griesbaum's firing in a dept meeting? Even Gene Taylor told Barta that HE would have fired Meyer!

Lets look at the total dollars caused by Barta's incompetence:

$1.4 owed Meyer
$2.0 owed Meyer's attorneys & for possilbe tripling of the $374K in back pay
$4.6 owed Barta (guaranteed $) if they fire him
$2.0 possibly owed Griesbaum (she has a better case than Meyer, imo) in her lawsuit
$2.0 possibly owed Giesbaum's attorneys

Here is a pic of Meyer and Griesbaum after the press conference yesterday:

636295221777054814-170504-JaneMeyer-441.JPG

Just FYI, I think your $$$$ on Barta you quoted are wrong if he were to lose his job over this......In today's Cedar Rapids Gazette, it was noted:

If Barta were to be fired without cause after the end of this academic year, the UI would owe him $2.35 million, his contract stipulates. The buyout clause says Barta is owed two years of base compensation, plus the remainder of his deferred compensation — which would be four years’ worth. He is set to make $550,000 in base pay for 2017-18, then $600,000 from 2018-19 through the rest of his contract. He’ll earn $300,000 per year in deferred compensation from 2018-21.

Barta’s contract also stipulates he can be fired with cause, which would eliminate any money the UI would owe. The factors that are considered “with cause” are spelled out in the contract.

You must have been reading different testimonial excerpts than I. It was pretty clear she was described as Cancer & Malcontent even by those practicing the same lifestyle. I didn't realize you could find that many absolutely Stupid people and get them on the same Jury.

Actually I agree with you. However I was responding to a poster that said no reason anything should happen to Barta. I was pointing out what jury was unanimous on all 5 counts (which again I totally disagree with) and basically implying if you were to point that finger on who to blame for the loss of the trial Gary Barta has to be that person and not unthinkable something bad couldn't happen to him like being fired or disciplined. As for your last line I couldn't agree more.

Not disagreeing with you on this. Barta may be very good at a lot of things, including raising money. Being a good leader by making tough decisions and doing it by the book so his employer was protected was not one of them. That will likely cost him his job.

Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT