ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's UP

Militia type vacations. Lol
Try again... Vacations at a 4th generation family cabin. Going to head up over memorial day and gey some work done, the smallmouth and walleye bite will be on fire which is a bonus.
We'll head back up in July and stay as long as we want. Usually a great time for a couple float trips down pristine trout and smallie waters, and we'll take the boat to a couple different lakes just to try something new.
I know it's hard for those of you that don't have much to look forward to, but don't hate on me for it.

Reactions: yescyam
Oddly enough, the wife and I were looking at a guide book the Michigan tourism people sent to us yesterday. Lots of neat looking parks and good hiking, but it’s a hefty drive, and the local amenities can be scarce unless it’s peak season.

Can confirm. It is pretty bleak in the off season.

Can confirm. It is pretty bleak in the off season.
We've rarely experienced this all over the southern half of the U.P. .. There's some uninformed repeating going on by people who haven't spent much time up there.
Snow mobile season is huge and Memorial day thru Columbus day is very busy across the U.P. We've been up during every possible season and never had issues getting basic grocery needs, finding places to eat etc... Granted we're in a relatively decent sized town but L' Anse and Baraga don't just shut down.

We've rarely experienced this all over the southern half of the U.P. .. There's some uninformed repeating going on by people who haven't spent much time up there.
Snow mobile season is huge and Memorial day thru Columbus day is very busy across the U.P. We've been up during every possible season and never had issues getting basic grocery needs, finding places to eat etc... Granted we're in a relatively decent sized town but L' Anse and Baraga don't just shut down.

Whatever you say homes. I go up in the dead of winter on the E/NE side and it's pretty sparse. Of course the grocery stores are open, but the areas where I'm normally going are not hopping. A lot of "closed for the season" signs. Marquette is the closest to interesting at that time of year. You sound like you've got it all figured out though.

Whatever you say homes. I go up in the dead of winter on the E/NE side and it's pretty sparse. Of course the grocery stores are open, but the areas where I'm normally going are not hopping. A lot of "closed for the season" signs. Marquette is the closest to interesting at that time of year. You sound like you've got it all figured out though.
I prefer Holmes btw... I'm simply passing on experience to the OP so he doesn't think he's driving into some desolate region where he won't be able to get basic supplies. Last time I checked May isn't the "dead of winter"?

I prefer Holmes btw... I'm simply passing on experience to the OP so he doesn't think he's driving into some desolate region where he won't be able to get basic supplies. Last time I checked May isn't the "dead of winter"?

Which is why I responded to Lucas’ comment about it being quiet in the off-season…so like, not May.

If I was responding to OP, I would have told him it will probably be decent by EOMay but some business are probably still coming out of hibernation.

While I am sure it has it moments and places, on family vacation last year the the pic and kids and i spent a day out there and more or less did not enjoy ourselves. Yes there is history and its beautiful, but holy crap, people everywhere, bikes everywhere, horse and horse crap everywhere, super expensive, etc etc.

It was not an enjoyable experience. If i ever had to do it again, i would have it just be the no pic and myself and we'd stay the night out there as the last ferry leaves at 4:30 pm so all the tourist are gone, then i would enjoy the island.

Very neat place and glad i can cross it off the list, but felt like nothing more than a tourist trap.

Just my 2 cents.
It really does tend to quiet down significantly in the evening. Almost everybody goes early in the morning and leaves mid afternoon. If you go over early afternoon it will be busy but will start to clear out by 4pm. The ferries run until 10 pm during the summer.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Staying outside L'Anse.
I actually live not too far away from L'anse.
If you are up on this side I'd recommend going up to copper harbor and then also checking out the Jampot it's a little store ran by monks.
And then up in Copper Harbor there are some beautiful views.
If you're a golfer I'd say check out Grey walls and the island courses.
Let me know if you've got any other questions and I'd be happy to help.

I saw that joke too, but I've never been to Toledo so I wasn't sure. It could be a nice place for all I know. It's on the lake, it has a large University, and Ceder Point is right there. It has the makings of a fun place to be. But the city could be a shithole for all I know.
For all we know, and I don't, it could be the Clinton of Ohio. And that would suck, but I have a feeling it's not THAT bad.

Reactions: BioHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT