ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands 2018

Looks like some really good competition at all weights 133 is a little light with Seth and AD. There of coarse will be some surprise guys not ranked that will make the semi’s and make things interesting in some weights. It would be nice to see JRent shake things up at 133 also.
A couple of side questions are there any known none college level guys entering and how many Hawks can enter?

Each year there's analysis done and it has shown that overall The Midlands is still as strong or stronger than the Scuffle more often than not. It often differs by weight of course.
When Penn State started going to the Scuffle and Okie St, back when Minnesota was always a title threat, Cornell, Missouri and maybe another top tier team I think the Scuffle had for a couple years surpassed the Midlands. For at least the last 2 years the Midlands has been superior, and again this year. The Scuffle is basically an Okie St PSU shootout.

Reactions: andegre
EVANSTON, Ill. — The Ken Kraft Midlands Championships will return to the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, for the 56th annual event in 2018.

The prestigious two-day event will take place on December 29-30, 2018.

In 2017, Iowa crowned a school-record five champions at Midlands and collected its 27th team title in tournament history.

The Sears Centre is a multi-purpose arena which currently serves as the home of the Windy City Bulls, the G-League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls. Additionally, the Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament called the Sears Centre home in 2013 and 2015. The arena is about 35 miles west of Northwestern University and right off of I-90.

Ticketing, hotel, and media credential information will be announced as it becomes available

Linky: https://nusports.com/news/2018/3/15...-to-return-to-sears-centre-arena-in-2018.aspx

Sears Centre Arena is an 11,800-seat multi-purpose family entertainment, cultural and sports center. Seating capacity for the arena ranges from 3,000-6,000 for theater shows; 9,400 for football, hockey, lacrosse and soccer games; 10,000 for basketball games and 11,800 for concerts.

Amenities
  • 43 luxury suites with two lounges on the private suite concourse.
  • 1,000 club seats with a private club.
  • Parking for 3,200 vehicles, with an additional 1,500 available.
Situated in Prairie Stone Business Park, immediately north of the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and west of Illinois Route 59.

Operator
Spectra

Opening Date
October 2006
Thanks a lot. I have family who lives 5 miles from there. Was at Cabelas last weekend and it's within one mile of here. Tons of eating places close.
About 3 1/2 hour drive from Cedar Rapids...

Assuming Illinois will be there, here's the ranked wrestlers at each weight per Flo's pre-season ranking that are coming out (through 174)...

#1 Spencer Lee – Iowa
#3 Sebastian Rivera – Northwestern
#4 Ronnie Bresser – Oregon State
#7 Ryan Millhof – Arizona State
#11 Travis Piotrowski – Illinois
#17 Michael McGhee – Old Dominion
#20 Connor Brown – Wisconsin

#1 Seth Gross – SD State
#8 Austin DeSanto – Iowa
#12 Dylan Duncan – Illinois
#15 Colin Valdivez – Northwestern

#7 Sa’Derian Perry – Old Dominion
#8 Josh Alber – Northern Iowa
#9 Mason Smith – Arizona State
#10 Michael Carr – Illinois
#11 Ryan Diehl – Maryland
#14 Bryan Lantry – Buffalo
#16 Tristan Moran – Wisconsin
#17 Max Murin – Iowa
#20 Yahya Thomas – Northwestern

#1 Matt Kolodzik – Princeton
#6 Pat Lugo – Iowa
#8 Max Thomsen – Northern Iowa
#13 Josh Maruca – Arizona State
#16 Josh Heil – Campbell
#18 Alfred Bannister – Maryland

#5 Josh Shields – Arizona State
#7 Ryan Deakin – Northwestern
#12 Larry Early – Old Dominion
#13 Luke Weiland – Army
#17 Kaleb Young – Iowa
#19 Hunter Willits – Oregon State

#2 Evan Wick – Wisconsin
#4 Alex Marinelli – Iowa
#7 Bryce Steiert – Northern Iowa
#11 Anthony Valencia – Arizona State
#18 Quentin Perez – Campbell
#20 Josh Viruet – Brown

#1 Zahid Valencia – Arizona State
#6 Mike Kemerer – Iowa
#9 Taylor Lujan – Northern Iowa
#12 Ben Harvey – Army
#14 Johnny Sebastian – Northwestern
#16 Ryan Christensen – Wisconsin
Gunther at 165 for Illini. Not sure why Flo didn't rank him.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Each year there's analysis done and it has shown that overall The Midlands is still as strong or stronger than the Scuffle more often than not. It often differs by weight of course.
Iowa is the catalyst in that info though. They would need to be subtracted from the equation. I say we stay at midlands, teams know where to find us, and it would kill midlands if Iowa left.

Iowa is the catalyst in that info though. They would need to be subtracted from the equation. I say we stay at midlands, teams know where to find us, and it would kill midlands if Iowa left.

Took me awhile to follow the logic but I get it now. But the same holds for PSU, for instance, at the Scuffle.

Reactions: Czech Hawk
I say we stay at midlands, teams know where to find us, and it would kill midlands if Iowa left.

I completely agree. Most of the teams that have left over the years left to get away from Iowa. No need to chase after them. Midlands is still an extremely tough tournament and great midseason test for our guys. If other teams want to challenge Iowa, they know where we'll be end of December...

It was criteria #2 that Valencia met, he placed Top 8 at the 2015 SR World Team Trials (There were only 7 in the bracket).

To be fair and accurate he EARNED that spot at the US Open taking 3rd with wins by TF over Caldwell and Godley and a 10-5 win over Sponseller. His only loss was 7-4 to Howe.

Going into the Trials, he was #5 on the ladder behind Burroughs, Dake, Taylor and Howe. Pretty strong company for a Freshman..........

An Iowa native and University of Iowa alumni. Live on the northshore Chicago and have been going to the Midlands for 35 years. The Sears Center in Hoffman Estates is probably the worst venue in Chicago for the Midlands, and I live 40 minutes from the Hoffman Estates. Just a ‘god awful’ place for spectators to watch wrestling. Terrible seating, parking and eating a real ripppp-offf. There are probably 6-7 places in Chicago that are more accommodating for a major sporting event. Soldier Field comes to mind, didn’t Iowa wrestling at Kinnick Stadium one winter?

I vote for moving the Midlands to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City. Maybe for a single year pause, it would be a sellout in Iowa City! It’s only a three (3) hour drive from Hoffman Estates! Fans could easily make the commute. Or stay at one of Lincoln Mac’s Places, or maybe a Bruce Kinseth motel.

Timmy Cysewski would be right at home, a real homecoming with Gable! My god, get that Midlands Wrestling tournament out of Hoffman Estates and back in Evanston, where it belongs! Or Iowa City!

Yeah, great idea.

An Iowa native and University of Iowa alumni. Live on the northshore Chicago and have been going to the Midlands for 35 years. The Sears Center in Hoffman Estates is probably the worst venue in Chicago for the Midlands, and I live 40 minutes from the Hoffman Estates. Just a ‘god awful’ place for spectators to watch wrestling. Terrible seating, parking and eating a real ripppp-offf. There are probably 6-7 places in Chicago that are more accommodating for a major sporting event. Soldier Field comes to mind, didn’t Iowa wrestling at Kinnick Stadium one winter?

I vote for moving the Midlands to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City. Maybe for a single year pause, it would be a sellout in Iowa City! It’s only a three (3) hour drive from Hoffman Estates! Fans could easily make the commute. Or stay at one of Lincoln Mac’s Places, or maybe a Bruce Kinseth motel.

Timmy Cysewski would be right at home, a real homecoming with Gable! My god, get that Midlands Wrestling tournament out of Hoffman Estates and back in Evanston, where it belongs! Or Iowa City!

Pretty sure it's a temporary move due to renovations in Evanston. And I have no idea why Northwestern would run their wrestling tourney on the Iowa campus.

To be fair and accurate he EARNED that spot at the US Open taking 3rd with wins by TF over Caldwell and Godley and a 10-5 win over Sponseller. His only loss was 7-4 to Howe.

Going into the Trials, he was #5 on the ladder behind Burroughs, Dake, Taylor and Howe. Pretty strong company for a Freshman..........
Wasn’t trying to diminish AV at all, simply stating that he definitely met the criteria of top 8 with only 7 total in the bracket ( All who had to qualify, obviously).

While I share your sentiment about the Sears Centre and loathe driving to Evanston from the western burbs (there is no easy commute from anywhere west)... Midlands is NU's thing and barring the temp venue they do a great job with it. I vote no on a move from NU, even for a year.

Reactions: GantryZ
Agreed completely PBS, been to the last dare I say 20 Midlands and it should stay in Evanston after the renovations are done.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Renovations are gonna be done in early November.I was told they decided to keep it at Sears because all 8 mats can fit on the floor and it's easier for everyone to follow coaches,athletes and fans.Even with the renovations at NW they would still need to use 2 gyms

I have no issues with the venue. I remember when folks used to complain about the lack of hotels and restaurants right near NW.

Ok, I’ll go ahead and throw this out. I think JRent is our best wrestler at 133! I was at practice 3 weeks ago and got there real early. JRent and Gilman were going at it. I must say the the fur was flying with neither wrestler getting the better of the other. If I had call a winner it would be JRent. I know he’s has at least 10 lbs on Gillman but I was totally impressed! The kid can scrap! JMO

Reactions: Fatboys pops
And I have no idea why Northwestern would run their wrestling tourney on the Iowa campus.

Spooner,
And likewise, I have no idea why Northwestern University runs the Midlands Wrestling tournament in Hoffman Estates. But, since you raised the question, some reasons to hold the tournament in Iowa City; 1) Have fun; 2) To actually see the/a wrestling match; 3) Promote the sport.

Most of what I’m saying in this thread is meant as tongue-in-cheek. But really wouldn’t a late December wrestling tournament at Soldier Field be more fun than a wrestling tournament at the Hoffman Estates Sears Centre? Maybe those Cowboys would show up?

As a Chicago area alternative for this tournament, maybe the Midlands tournament at All State Arena, The United Center, UIC Pavilion, The Gentile Center. Maybe Wrigley field, but god, not Hoffman Estates!

Transportation? Try to find a train, or bus, or any public transportation from Chicago to Hoffman Estates! God, I how love those Cambus(s) on the university campus.

Maybe some night life or camaraderie after each wrestling session? Mudflap, are you familiar with Hoffman Estates? Night life in Hoffman Estates (?), good luck with that! Think about all those great bars and restaurants in Iowa City!

Media coverage? What’s the probability that the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, The Daily Herald, WMAQ, WLS, WBBM will cover a wrestling tournament in Hoffman Estates? The answer is “zilch”. You think the Iowa City Press Citizen, Des Moines Register, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, KCRG, WMT would cover a world class wrestling tournament in Iowa City? Don't answer.

You wonder why Sears is in the process of filing bankruptcy?..... Well I guess, I’ll be there. The new (2019) Northwestern Welsh-Ryan Arena will be great, wrestling fans will love it.

Go Hawks! And go Anthony Cassioppi! I reeeeeeeeeeely hope he will wrestle at the Midlands. Cassioppi could win this thing! If “Cass” wrestles, I’m all in!

And I have no idea why Northwestern would run their wrestling tourney on the Iowa campus.

Spooner,
And likewise, I have no idea why Northwestern University runs the Midlands Wrestling tournament in Hoffman Estates. But, since you raised the question, some reasons to hold the tournament in Iowa City; 1) Have fun; 2) To actually see the/a wrestling match; 3) Promote the sport.

Most of what I’m saying in this thread is meant as tongue-in-cheek. But really wouldn’t a late December wrestling tournament at Soldier Field be more fun than a wrestling tournament at the Hoffman Estates Sears Centre? Maybe those Cowboys would show up?

As a Chicago area alternative for this tournament, maybe the Midlands tournament at All State Arena, The United Center, UIC Pavilion, The Gentile Center. Maybe Wrigley field, but god, not Hoffman Estates!

Transportation? Try to find a train, or bus, or any public transportation from Chicago to Hoffman Estates! God, I how love those Cambus(s) on the university campus.

Maybe some night life or camaraderie after each wrestling session? Mudflap, are you familiar with Hoffman Estates? Night life in Hoffman Estates (?), good luck with that! Think about all those great bars and restaurants in Iowa City!

Media coverage? What’s the probability that the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, The Daily Herald, WMAQ, WLS, WBBM will cover a wrestling tournament in Hoffman Estates? The answer is “zilch”. You think the Iowa City Press Citizen, Des Moines Register, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, KCRG, WMT would cover a world class wrestling tournament in Iowa City? Don't answer.

You wonder why Sears is in the process of filing bankruptcy?..... Well I guess, I’ll be there. The new (2019) Northwestern Welsh-Ryan Arena will be great, wrestling fans will love it.

Go Hawks! And go Anthony Cassioppi! I reeeeeeeeeeely hope he will wrestle at the Midlands. Cassioppi could win this thing! If “Cass” wrestles, I’m all in!

Maybe look into decaff.

Spooner,

Thanks, good Rx. I was starting to get a little tense. But, if you have ever been to the Midlands Wrestling tournament the stands are all Black and Gold! Those folks aren’t from Penn State, Ohio State, or Iowa State. Maybe Iowa City….

Assuming Illinois will be there, here's the ranked wrestlers at each weight per Flo's pre-season ranking that are coming out (through 174)...

#1 Spencer Lee – Iowa
#3 Sebastian Rivera – Northwestern
#4 Ronnie Bresser – Oregon State
#7 Ryan Millhof – Arizona State
#11 Travis Piotrowski – Illinois
#17 Michael McGhee – Old Dominion
#20 Connor Brown – Wisconsin

#1 Seth Gross – SD State
#8 Austin DeSanto – Iowa
#12 Dylan Duncan – Illinois
#15 Colin Valdivez – Northwestern
Jason Renteria - Iowa

#7 Sa’Derian Perry – Old Dominion
#8 Josh Alber – Northern Iowa
#9 Mason Smith – Arizona State
#10 Michael Carr – Illinois
#11 Ryan Diehl – Maryland
#14 Bryan Lantry – Buffalo
#16 Tristan Moran – Wisconsin
#17 Max Murin – Iowa
#20 Yahya Thomas – Northwestern
Vince Turk - Iowa

#1 Matt Kolodzik – Princeton
#6 Pat Lugo – Iowa
#8 Max Thomsen – Northern Iowa
#13 Josh Maruca – Arizona State
#16 Josh Heil – Campbell
#18 Alfred Bannister – Maryland

#5 Josh Shields – Arizona State
#7 Ryan Deakin – Northwestern
#12 Larry Early – Old Dominion
#13 Luke Weiland – Army
#17 Kaleb Young – Iowa
#19 Hunter Willits – Oregon State

#2 Evan Wick – Wisconsin
#4 Alex Marinelli – Iowa
#7 Bryce Steiert – Northern Iowa
#11 Anthony Valencia – Arizona State
#18 Quentin Perez – Campbell
#20 Josh Viruet – Brown
Joey Gunther - Illinois

#1 Zahid Valencia – Arizona State
#6 Mike Kemerer – Iowa
#9 Taylor Lujan – Northern Iowa
#12 Ben Harvey – Army
#14 Johnny Sebastian – Northwestern
#16 Ryan Christensen – Wisconsin

Wow - there's some really good potential matchups in these rankings. Would love to see Marinelli get another crack at Evan Wick..... Also, wanna see Kemerer vs. Valencia...

Spooner,

I remember my first beer.

Reactions: SPOONER
Personally...I like where the Midlands is at right now. Right off the interstate...close to hotels, food, etc. Didn't see an issue.
Sears Centre vs Welsh Ryan affected Chicagoans more than those only in town for the weekend.

I think the snowstorm/subsequent traffic for us that live in greater Chicago may have jaded the experience as well. GPS projected what would normally be a 35 to 45 minute drive home or 20 minutes to Schaumburg and better food/drinking establishments was close to 3 hrs home or 1 hr to Schaumburg. Instead of going home or Schaumburg we got a hotel room between sessions to rest up for the drive home after the session that night. Yes, we got a hotel room 25 miles from home :eek:

So along with the increased ticket prices and parking, an "in town" event was as expensive as some wrestling trips we take out of state. We were used to the dreaded drive to Evanston but not the rest.

Reactions: GantryZ
I have a bit of an emotional opinion of Midlands, and Welsh-Ryan Arena as that's where I fell in love with college wrestling. I was a sophomore watching Midlands with my HS team and have felt a connection to that place ever since. I've missed 2 tournaments since, once to go to the inaugural southern scuffle (to watch a friend, who got sick and didn't wrestle) and once to a snowstorm that prevented our trip from happening. We're from West Michigan. I'm now an assistant for my HS team and we take our whole team every year. Sometimes we get lucky and get to work out with Gable at the hotel. Last year was a disaster for our trip as the tickets were so expensive that it would have more than doubled the cost of the trip for our kids. We ended up doing a day trip rather than both days. For emotional reasons I want it back at NW. For fiscal reasons for our HS kids I want it back at NW (and cheap tix again). I only hope that the one kid who might catch the bug isn't left home because of ticket prices.

Reactions: Gobblin
I doubt the ticket prices are ever going back down. I'm assuming the renovations weren't free, and NU will see that people are paying the increased ticket prices, and keep them where they were at last year.

I doubt the ticket prices are ever going back down. I'm assuming the renovations weren't free, and NU will see that people are paying the increased ticket prices, and keep them where they were at last year.

Renovation or not, I would be truly shocked if the prices in Evanston match the Sears Center. Those were crazy high...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT