ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Johnson Just Confirmed How Unserious He Is

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
It didn’t take long for the new House speaker, Mike Johnson, to demonstrate to the world that he will not be a serious partner for American allies or for those who still believe that governing is not a petty little game.
On Monday, only five days after being elevated to one of the most important leadership roles in the country, he upended a major foreign aid package for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, meekly obeying those Republican House members who see their main role as disengaging from the world and taking self-destructive potshots at Democrats. Nothing in Mr. Johnson’s record suggested he might try to shore up America’s leadership in the world, but his actions show that his new position has not added any gravitas to his thinking; he’s just pandering to his cronies in the far right wing.
Specifically, he stripped money for Ukraine and Taiwan from the $105 billion package requested by President Biden, leaving only the $14.3 billion the administration wants to send to Israel. But then he imposed a condition on the Israel money: Mr. Biden must agree to cut the same amount out of the money the Internal Revenue Service uses to chase down high-income tax cheats. So essentially the U.S. can protect Israel as long as it also protects rich white-collar criminals.
The I.R.S., of course, has nothing to do with the war between Israel and Hamas, but it has everything to do with the Republican desire to score political points whenever possible. Ever since Mr. Biden won $80 billion for stronger I.R.S. enforcement in the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, Republicans have made that money a target, exploiting the agency’s Sheriff-of-Nottingham public image by trying to delude ordinary taxpayers into believing the extra funds meant the agency was coming after them.
But the aim of the extra enforcement was always the wealthy, whose complex tax fraud schemes cost the Treasury billions every year. Reducing the I.R.S. budget would actually widen the deficit, the opposite of what Republicans claim they care about. The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that if the I.R.S. enforcement budget is cut by $25 billion, as some Senate Republicans have proposed, it would cost $49 billion in revenue from auditing the rich, and widen the 10-year deficit by nearly $24 billion.
Another study published earlier this year by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that every additional dollar spent on auditing high-income taxpayers yielded $12 in new revenue for the Treasury. By that calculation, Mr. Johnson’s stunt could cost the country $171.6 billion. Earlier this year, Republicans forced Mr. Biden to cut $20 billion from the I.R.S. as part of the price for avoiding a debt default; having shown that the White House would agree to chip away at a top priority to prevent a crisis, they are returning to the same playbook.

But in the end, the I.R.S. cut isn’t really going to happen, as House Republicans know, because Mr. Johnson’s bill will die in the Senate, where many leading Republicans already oppose it. Senator Mitch McConnell, the minority leader, has made it clear the final bill will have to include money for Ukraine, and hawks like Lindsey Graham of South Carolina have said the Ukraine money was related to Israel’s war against Hamas.
“Hamas was just hosted by the Russians in Moscow,” Mr. Graham said, adding, about Ukraine, “I think breaking them out sends the wrong signal.”
Other Republicans like Senator Mitt Romney of Utah and Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina agreed with the White House that cutting the I.R.S. budget made little sense in the context of national security.
But making sense isn’t really Mr. Johnson’s game. He’s got a few calculations going on that show the kind of cynical strategic planning that current passes for politics in the House. By throwing in the I.R.S. cut, he gets to show the same extremists who deposed his predecessor that he can play rough with the White House. The move will presumably get some House Democrats to vote against the bill, and then Republicans can run misleading attack ads saying those Democrats oppose aid to Israel, as many members are already anticipating.
“The new Republican speaker has chosen to put a poison pill” in the aid bill, Representative Ritchie Torres, Democrat of New York, told Axios. “The politicizing of Israel in a time of war is nothing short of disgraceful.”
And then, assuming the bill does pass the House, Mr. Johnson will then get a seat at the table to negotiate with the Senate and the White House on the final legislation. If the House can’t pass anything, it will have less leverage in determining the final amount of aid.
If Mr. Johnson has substantive objections to helping Ukraine and Israel that justify the legislative impediments he is constructing, he should state what they are. There is room for a debate over conditions that could be imposed on military aid for Israel, including a detailed plan to protect civilians in the Gaza campaign, or, as my colleague Thomas Friedman has suggested, an agreement not to construct one new settlement in the West Bank outside existing settlement blocs and to rebuild the Palestinian Authority and the two-state solution at the expense of Hamas.
But that would require a serious discussion with serious people. And Mr. Johnson has now shown that he has no place in that room.

It didn’t take long for the new House speaker, Mike Johnson, to demonstrate to the world that he will not be a serious partner for American allies or for those who still believe that governing is not a petty little game.
On Monday, only five days after being elevated to one of the most important leadership roles in the country, he upended a major foreign aid package for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, meekly obeying those Republican House members who see their main role as disengaging from the world and taking self-destructive potshots at Democrats. Nothing in Mr. Johnson’s record suggested he might try to shore up America’s leadership in the world, but his actions show that his new position has not added any gravitas to his thinking; he’s just pandering to his cronies in the far right wing.
Specifically, he stripped money for Ukraine and Taiwan from the $105 billion package requested by President Biden, leaving only the $14.3 billion the administration wants to send to Israel. But then he imposed a condition on the Israel money: Mr. Biden must agree to cut the same amount out of the money the Internal Revenue Service uses to chase down high-income tax cheats. So essentially the U.S. can protect Israel as long as it also protects rich white-collar criminals.
The I.R.S., of course, has nothing to do with the war between Israel and Hamas, but it has everything to do with the Republican desire to score political points whenever possible. Ever since Mr. Biden won $80 billion for stronger I.R.S. enforcement in the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, Republicans have made that money a target, exploiting the agency’s Sheriff-of-Nottingham public image by trying to delude ordinary taxpayers into believing the extra funds meant the agency was coming after them.
But the aim of the extra enforcement was always the wealthy, whose complex tax fraud schemes cost the Treasury billions every year. Reducing the I.R.S. budget would actually widen the deficit, the opposite of what Republicans claim they care about. The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that if the I.R.S. enforcement budget is cut by $25 billion, as some Senate Republicans have proposed, it would cost $49 billion in revenue from auditing the rich, and widen the 10-year deficit by nearly $24 billion.
Another study published earlier this year by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that every additional dollar spent on auditing high-income taxpayers yielded $12 in new revenue for the Treasury. By that calculation, Mr. Johnson’s stunt could cost the country $171.6 billion. Earlier this year, Republicans forced Mr. Biden to cut $20 billion from the I.R.S. as part of the price for avoiding a debt default; having shown that the White House would agree to chip away at a top priority to prevent a crisis, they are returning to the same playbook.

But in the end, the I.R.S. cut isn’t really going to happen, as House Republicans know, because Mr. Johnson’s bill will die in the Senate, where many leading Republicans already oppose it. Senator Mitch McConnell, the minority leader, has made it clear the final bill will have to include money for Ukraine, and hawks like Lindsey Graham of South Carolina have said the Ukraine money was related to Israel’s war against Hamas.
“Hamas was just hosted by the Russians in Moscow,” Mr. Graham said, adding, about Ukraine, “I think breaking them out sends the wrong signal.”
Other Republicans like Senator Mitt Romney of Utah and Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina agreed with the White House that cutting the I.R.S. budget made little sense in the context of national security.
But making sense isn’t really Mr. Johnson’s game. He’s got a few calculations going on that show the kind of cynical strategic planning that current passes for politics in the House. By throwing in the I.R.S. cut, he gets to show the same extremists who deposed his predecessor that he can play rough with the White House. The move will presumably get some House Democrats to vote against the bill, and then Republicans can run misleading attack ads saying those Democrats oppose aid to Israel, as many members are already anticipating.
“The new Republican speaker has chosen to put a poison pill” in the aid bill, Representative Ritchie Torres, Democrat of New York, told Axios. “The politicizing of Israel in a time of war is nothing short of disgraceful.”
And then, assuming the bill does pass the House, Mr. Johnson will then get a seat at the table to negotiate with the Senate and the White House on the final legislation. If the House can’t pass anything, it will have less leverage in determining the final amount of aid.
If Mr. Johnson has substantive objections to helping Ukraine and Israel that justify the legislative impediments he is constructing, he should state what they are. There is room for a debate over conditions that could be imposed on military aid for Israel, including a detailed plan to protect civilians in the Gaza campaign, or, as my colleague Thomas Friedman has suggested, an agreement not to construct one new settlement in the West Bank outside existing settlement blocs and to rebuild the Palestinian Authority and the two-state solution at the expense of Hamas.
But that would require a serious discussion with serious people. And Mr. Johnson has now shown that he has no place in that room.

What sweet-ass job u got u can afford WaPo AND NYT subscriptions, dawg?

These days the House Rs are really behaving like JR High to the Senate's HS persona. Even if I don't like McConnell, even he gets the importance of aligning against Russia. But in all fairness, he lived through decades of Cold War threats, the bozos in the House don't read and have decided Russia is better than Democrats. Morons.

What jobs did Johnson have before getting elected to the House ?
Johnson is a graduate of the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. Before entering politics, Johnson worked as an attorney in private practice and for Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), where he advocated for sodomy laws and the criminalization of gay sex, including writing a prominent amicus brief that opposed the eventual U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Lawrence v. Texas (2003). After, he proceeded to serve on the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention between 2004 and 2012. He began his political career being elected to the Louisiana House of Representatives in 2015 and served until 2017.

Johnson was first elected to represent Louisiana's 4th congressional district in 2016. During his time in Congress, he contested the results of the 2020 presidential election on the House floor and in court. He supported bills that would institute a nationwide ban on abortion, and advocated for overturning the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision Obergefell v. Hodges, which affirmed a fundamental right for same-sex couples to marry. Johnson served as chair of the Republican Study Committee, the largest caucus of conservatives in Congress, from 2019 to 2021. He was vice chair of the House Republican Conference from 2021 to 2023.

I think it's great news that a blanket spending bill isn't passed that includes all of these countries. Pass them individually of each other or don't. I'd prefer no more money go to ukraine myself. We would be better served investing that money here at home. Glad someone is being considerate about spending our tax dollars.

I think it's great news that a blanket spending bill isn't passed that includes all of these countries. Pass them individually of each other or don't. I'd prefer no more money go to ukraine myself. We would be better served investing that money here at home. Glad someone is being considerate about spending our tax dollars.
I’m all for passing them individually - let them each stand on their merits is fine. But you neglected to address the primary issue with Israeli funding. It is shear folly to include a partisan IRS defunding clause into an emergency aid package to a staunch ally.

Republicans are putting MAGA talking points above the promised land. Full stop.

Why wouldn't we be better served investing the Israeli money at home?

I’m all for passing them individually - let them each stand on their merits is fine. But you neglected to address the primary issue with Israeli funding. It is shear folly to include a partisan IRS defunding clause into an emergency aid package to a staunch ally.

Republicans are putting MAGA talking points above the promised land. Full stop.
Yeah, those kinds of inclusions should be banned outright. I said the same thing during all the covid stimulus bills that included 10s of millions of dollars for all kinds of partisan side projects/money laundering. Look how much they gave Pakistan for "gender programs" as a single example from the left. Both parties keep doing it and it's wrong. Full stop.
Why wouldn't we be better served investing the Israeli money at home?
It would.

The party of Renegers.

That's what the (R) stands for.
Still better than the degenerates who voted in a man who molested his own daughter according to her diary. #believeallwomen amirite? (D) stands for degenerate.

The Senate is going to jam Mike Johnson’s agenda big time.

A comprehensive emergency funding bill similiar to the WH proposal will be passed by a large majority of the Senate and then sent to the House. In the end, Johnson will have no choice but to put the Senate bill up for vote in the House because a majority in the House, including a large number of Republicans, favor emergency Ukraine funding. A slap down for the Louisiana Loon.

Don't you have a pizza delivery to make?

Oh, and get some new material. You're getting quite stale.
Not gonna forget about biden's daughter accusing him of molesting her, sorry to break it to you (I understand it is normal to give passes on these kinds of things in your circles but I hold myself to a higher standard).

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Seriously though, how can you be a serious person with a name like Mike Johnson? It brings out the same response you get when you talk about Uranus.

Reactions: Scruddy
This is why the Rs cannot be trusted. You make a deal with them. Then they either lie and go back on the deal. Or they change leadership and the new guy says all previous deals are off the table.
The deal they made was with the guy they chose to get rid of.

You'd swear this is an Onion article. But, no.

Donald Trump and Speaker Mike Johnson to hold 'election integrity' press conference​

Former President Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will reportedly hold a press conference on Friday with Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) about election fraud.

Link

You'd swear this is an Onion article. But, no.

Donald Trump and Speaker Mike Johnson to hold 'election integrity' press conference​

Former President Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will reportedly hold a press conference on Friday with Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) about election fraud.

Link
They are getting together in order to work out some details of the next coup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT