ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis Police Department faces stark officer shortage as it seeks to rebuild public trust

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
O’Hara says his department is short by more than 200 officers, and has lost 40% of its police force in the last four years.

“It is incredible,” O’Hara said. “It’s not just that we lost 40% of the force, they’ve been facing the highest levels of crime and violence, in some categories, that the city has ever seen.”

Minneapolis is facing a surge in assaults, and nearly three dozen shooting calls a month. Officers have been subject to some mandatory overtime.

Full article:

If that means the bad candidates are now not applying or getting hired this is a good thing.
The exact opposite. Nobody wants to be an officer and work in Hennepin county right now. Not so much because of the crime; but more because they receive zero support from the city leaders and prosecutors. At least O’Hara is finally admitting it. And how Mary Moriarty still has a job is baffling. When your county prosecutor would rather charge a cop than a criminal, tough to recruit. If the police could actually do their job and if the criminals are actually held accountable, things would inevitably have to get better. I’d be a little tired as well if I arrested the same person 3 or 4 times in a month and they keep getting let out to reoffend.

I know there are a few on this board who don’t live here and believe anyone who thinks Minneapolis still has a crime problem is racist; but they have very little clue and hear about maybe 1% of the shit that happens nightly.

The exact opposite. Nobody wants to be an officer and work in Hennepin county right now. Not so much because of the crime; but more because they receive zero support from the city leaders and prosecutors. At least O’Hara is finally admitting it. And how Mary Moriarty still has a job is baffling. When your county prosecutor would rather charge a cop than a criminal, tough to recruit. If the police could actually do their job and if the criminals are actually held accountable, things would inevitably have to get better. I’d be a little tired as well if I arrested the same person 3 or 4 times in a month and they keep getting let out to reoffend.

I know there are a few on this board who don’t live here and believe anyone who thinks Minneapolis still has a crime problem is racist; but they have very little clue and hear about maybe 1% of the shit that happens nightly.

Just move if it’s so terrible. Easy peasy.

I think I know you well enough at this point to know this was sarcasm.

If I was so freaked out by what was happening in the town I lived in, I would move and leave that shit behind. Phuck that place and the people, it’s their choice.

The USA is the size of Europe. Plenty of space to go far, far away from what you don’t like and start over.

If I was so freaked out by what was happening in the town I lived in, I would move and leave that shit behind. Phuck that place and the people, it’s their choice.

The USA is the size of Europe. Plenty of space to go far, far away from what you don’t like and start over.
Ok, I'm kind of catching the vibe.

Play this out with me though, those that can move do, those that are focused on living in a safe place find a way to move, policing is even more difficult with less candidates, and it goes to shit because instead of addressing the real issue we just kept turning a blind eye?

And bro if your just like, don't care, above my pay grade, **** them I'm out. Im not teying to solve world peoblems at this point. Touché.

Well miraculously it feels like we've gone about 3.5 years since police have killed an unarmed black man. Maybe the police deserve an attaboy. LeBron James has been awful quiet.

On the flip side, I hear applications are pouring in to the Louisville PD after potential recruits heard you can just make shit up about rich golfers, complain about fake injuries that would allow you to sue rich golfers, and still have the PD and mayor back you up. Plus, new pants!

On the serious side, let’s up the pay for cops, require college degrees, and weed out the ones that everybody knows shouldn’t be cops. Job is too important to have the C team out there.

Ok, I'm kind of catching the vibe.

Play this out with me though, those that can move do, those that are focused on living in a safe place find a way to move, policing is even more difficult with less candidates, and it goes to shit because instead of addressing the real issue we just kept turning a blind eye?

And bro if your just like, don't care, above my pay grade, **** them I'm out. Im not teying to solve world peoblems at this point. Touché.

Brian made it sound like he is quite discouraged about the city he lives in. My suggestion to move comes from what I would do if I felt that way. There may be a little more nuance to it but the reason I’d move is bolded.

That said, I don’t know what I would feel like if I lived in the MSP area or not. Have some friends that live in SP and they love it and I enjoy visiting.

Maybe people care about their community and rather than give up, they fight back to save it.

Maybe people care about their community and rather than give up, they fight back to save it.

More power to them. Not what I would do.

You won’t see me sticking around to save Ioway as it goes down the MAGA shitter. ***

***A reminder I’m not moving because of politics, I’m moving because Ioway sucks and I’m bored as phuck of it.

0% you could talk me into being a cop. We have killed that profession as a society "pandering to stupidity". Minneapolis doesn't need to start with public trust to get those 200 officers, they need to create a workplace where you don't get sued everytime you do your job
I had three buddies on the force there, only one remains because he still genuinely feels he protects good people from evil........and his wife is from there. The other two, left shorty after the george floyd fentanyl overdose. One actually volunteered to coach boxing and basketball in the 'hood. They took their numerous commendations and put that marxist shithole in their rearview.........

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
Brian made it sound like he is quite discouraged about the city he lives in. My suggestion to move comes from what I would do if I felt that way. There may be a little more nuance to it but the reason I’d move is bolded.

That said, I don’t know what I would feel like if I lived in the MSP area or not. Have some friends that live in SP and they love it and I enjoy visiting.
The only question about SP crime is: How high will the new annual murder record be since it's broken every year. 🤡

You won’t see me sticking around to save Ioway as it goes down the MAGA shitter. ***

***A reminder I’m not moving because of politics, I’m moving because Ioway sucks and I’m bored as phuck of it.
You're still here? Your options may be limited because many areas of the country don't have basements!

The only question about SP crime is: How high will the new annual murder record be since it's broken every year. 🤡
200w.gif

You’re moving because you’re insufferable to be around. Nobody wants to be around you expect other insufferable low T Marxist.

Just move if it’s so terrible. Easy peasy.
Easy Charlie. I was just responding with my opinion on why they can’t recruit police. I think the city is trending in the right direction and I like living up here, so moving isn’t in the cards right now. IMO, a few elected officials will be replaced soon enough as the voters get tired of the same old same old happening.

Easy Charlie. I was just responding with my opinion on why they can’t recruit police. I think the city is trending in the right direction and I like living up here, so moving isn’t in the cards right now. IMO, a few elected officials will be replaced soon enough as the voters get tired of the same old same old happening.
If you believe MPLS is changing for the better any time soon, you should seek professional help immediately.

Reactions: DogBoyRy

I was more responding to this part of your post:

“I know there are a few on this board who don’t live here and believe anyone who thinks Minneapolis still has a crime problem is racist; but they have very little clue and hear about maybe 1% of the shit that happens nightly.”

That sounded like you think it’s pretty bad. I’d move if I thought that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT