ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota company's "0 tolerance with Somalis” gets it shut down; was it simply a misunderstanding?

You mean...focus attention on the actual criminals terrorizing the community and not a poorly worded FB private message that was expressing concern for everyone's safety? Lol...why would they do that?
its just a reminder that what you post on social media might come back to haunt you (no pun intended)

this is a very popular Halloween destination every year. Its on a 30 acre site They hire actors to scare you. Shutting it down seems extreme to me and over-reacting. A fine seems more appropriate, if anything.

its just a reminder that what you post on social media might come back to haunt you (no pun intended)

this is a very popular Halloween destination every year. Its on a 30 acre site They hire actors to scare you. Shutting it down seems extreme to me and over-reacting. A fine seems more appropriate, if anything.

If the EEOC was investigating this complaint they'd make a determination in about three years.

Scream Town reopens after deal with Carver County
Visitors were greeted by a sign that read, "All are welcomed here."
By Karen Zamora Star Tribune

OCTOBER 12, 2018 — 9:15PM
http://www.startribune.com/scream-town-to-reopen-this-weekend/497262511/#2

As visitors to Scream Town entered the popular Halloween haunt Friday night, they were greeted by a sign that read, “All are welcomed here.”

One day after Carver County officials shut down the Chaska site after its owner made a disparaging comment about Somali-Americans, it reopened, welcoming hundreds of customers.

The reversal came after Scream Town agreed to hire private security guards, since the county has voided its contract for security, traffic and crowd control. The Sheriff’s Office will continue to provide routine patrols and 911 response.

As customers lined up to enter the attraction, Scream Town owner Matt Dunn stood outside, shaking hands. Three security guards stood nearby.

Some customers expressed relief that an agreement had been reached so quickly and that Dunn’s apology was so swiftly accepted by the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN).

“I’m glad he apologized,” said Pachia Vue, who is from Wisconsin. “You never know if people mean it. I think he was speaking out of anger after what happened with the teens. I’ve done it [spoken in anger] before.”

Tina Wright of Wyoming, Minn., who said she has been visiting the attraction for nine years, said, “I know why people are upset, and I know [Dunn] shouldn’t have said that.”

But “they put up extra signs that welcome everyone and he’s going over and beyond to backtrack what he said,” she said.

County Administrator David Hemze said Friday that although Dunn’s comment breached a contract that prohibits discriminatory conduct, “we also understand that citizens want their government to be reasonable in their enforcement actions, and this agreement allows for that.”

Dunn said he was “glad we were able to resolve this.”

County officials took action Thursday after Dunn wrote in a closed Facebook group for Scream Town actors: “Note that we are having a zero-tolerance policy with Somalis. (Other guests, you can make your best judgment call.) But absolutely zero tolerance with Somalis.”

Dunn has since apologized on Scream Town’s public Facebook page, saying that his first post “seemed to generalize.”

The full apology reads: “Scream Town welcomes ALL people to our event. We love our guests and we love our fans. Safety and security for our actors and guests is our top priority. We apologize for any posts that seemed to generalize. That was not our intent. All are welcome and we thank you for your business.”

Dunn said his original post came after a group of eight to 10 teenagers had caused trouble at Scream Town. He said it was poorly worded.

“It wasn’t a message to all Somali folks,” he said. “This was a terrible misunderstanding.”

CAIR-MN had asked the state Department of Human Rights to investigate Dunn’s comments, but after accepting Dunn’s apology, it withdrew the request. In a video posted to the Scream Town Facebook page Thursday evening, CAIR-MN executive director Jaylani Hussein publicly accepted Dunn’s apology and asked the community to move forward.

“We found him to be very genuine about his apology to the community,” Hussein said in the video. “We recognize there are lots of people pained and frustrated with what they saw.”

Scream Town, on about 30 rented acres near Chaska, has been considered one of the country’s best haunted attractions.

On Friday night, two women who asked not to be named said they felt reassured after Dunn said his comments were directed only at a group of teens causing problems. They said they hope Dunn and the teens all learn from the experience.

“After seeing [Hussein] accept his apology, we felt we can still come and support him,” said one of the women, who said she is from Coon Rapids.

"Ronnie's Killer," a killer-clown character at Scream Town
1539391434_08-1007360732%2B004SCREAM101318.jpg

1539391431_08-1007360732%2B006SCREAM101318.jpg

Last edited:
Why are there so many Somalians in Minnesota? This is a big freaking country. Why would they congregate in Minnesota of all places? South Florida has a lot of Haitians.... which makes sense. But Minnesota? WTF?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/01/19/good-question-why-did-somalis-locate-here/

“Maybe someday they will enjoy the ice fishing,” laughed Dr. Ahmed Samatar, dean of the Institute for Global Citizenship at Macalester College. Samatar was born in Somalia.

As far as living in such a cold weather climate, “on the surface it may look bizarre,” said Samatar, however “there is so much goodness in this state.”

The U.S. State Department ultimately decides where refugees will live, but it has to do with the voluntary agencies, called VOLAGS, that contract with the State Department. Minnesota has very active ones like Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and World Relief Minnesota. It’s the same reason this is a population center for Hmong refugees.
-----------------------------------------------------------
“They have the opportunity to move,” said Samatar.

But the Somalis have largely stayed, somewhere around 30,000 of them, partially because of the strength of the non-governmental VOLAGS, and partially because of the strength of governmental programs to help refugees begin a new life, according to Samatar.

After the first wave is assigned here, the second wave of relatives and friends soon followed.

“As Somalis settle down, find a life, the good news spreads: ‘Hey this is a good place, you can find a life here,'” said Samatar.

I'm guessing more than one politician in town received a call from people a little pissed that reality isn't being observed in favor of PC nonsense

Yes Somali denotes national origin. It isn't racist. If the guy was racist he would have said black people. Instead he used an accurate description of the people casting problems and basically said to be on the lookout and be careful. Wise advice apparently based on what I'd actually happening in the community.

I'm guessing the city attorney also took a look at things and quickly told them they are in big trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT