ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota State Sen. Nicole Mitchell, charged with burglary, says she was checking on loved one with Alzheimer's

Mitchell was wearing black clothing and a black hat when officers found her in the basement, according to the complaint. They found a flashlight with a sock on it and a black backpack nearby. The backpack contained two laptops, a cellphone, Tupperware and identifying documents for Mitchell.

Investigators said Mitchell told them her father had recently died and her stepmother wouldn't talk to Mitchell or other family members.

"I was just trying to get a couple of my dad's things because you wouldn't talk to me anymore," Mitchell said to her stepmother during her arrest, according to the complaint.

The items Mitchell sought were "pictures, a flannel shirt, ashes, and other items of sentimental value," the complaint states.

Mitchell allegedly gave the same motive to police, also saying she had "just gotten into the house."

"Clearly I'm not good at this," she said, according to investigators, adding, "I know I did something bad."

Investigators said Mitchell got into the house through a basement window.

Well that's not good. My guess on what happened:

Dad passes on and the mother does have early dementia (she wouldn't be dumb enough to make up an easily disprovable disorder for her cover story, would she?) There were items that she feels belong to her that the stepmother will not let her have, maybe has even written her out of the will. So, for some reason the Senator decides that dressing up like a burglar from a movie, carrying burglar things, and then going to the house to take the things she wanted would be a good idea. This rightfully freaks the stepmother out who then calls the police and the Senator gets arrested. Verdict, the Senator is guilty and is most definitely not a criminal mastermind. Seriously, if you wanted those things then make up an excuse to go see your stepmother, back some cookies for her or something, and then take the stuff while you are there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT