ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri vs Biden

If there is a false viral story saying that there is a bomb threat at the World Series, should the government tell the platforms that’s the story is false and take it down because it’s creating a panic?
Is that what this case is about?

You defuse the panic generated by a falsehood with….. the truth.
Not censorship.

Besides, they weren’t doing what your hypothetical portends. They were knocking people offline and suppressing their speech because they had the ‘wrong’ viewpoint.

Read the reporting from the people who went through the Twitter files emails between government agents and Twitter.

You can’t diffuse a viral story with truthful posts instantly. That takes times. Sometimes you don’t have that time.

The government wasn’t knocking anyone off line or suppressing their speech. They made reports like anyone else could make and the platforms decided.

Platforms have a right to moderate the content.

And I read some of the reporting. Tiabbi shit the bed on his reporting and got worked like a part time job. Did you find an honest broker in the Twitter files content? Perhaps the ones that showed Trump Admin demanding removals?’

This isn’t a right or left issue. This is a platform moderation issue.

You can’t diffuse a viral story with truthful posts instantly. That takes times. Sometimes you don’t have that time.

Your hypthoetical doesn’t pertain to any reality. They’re not asking for this power, because they know the courts would immediately shoot it down.

The government wasn’t knocking anyone off line or suppressing their speech. They made reports like anyone else could make and the platforms decided.

The government agents calling as government agents are not like ‘anyone else’ when calling for censorship of narratives the administration doesn’t like.
You should read some of the reporting on this story. There are emails from the FBI requesting people be deplatformed.

Platforms have a right to moderate the content.
True, but the government doesn’t.
And yet that’s precisely what people in government worked to do.

And I read some of the reporting. Tiabbi shit the bed on his reporting and got worked like a part time job. Did you find an honest broker in the Twitter files content? Perhaps the ones that showed Trump Admin demanding removals?’
This isn’t a right or left issue. This is a platform moderation issue.
Your metaphor doesn’t indicate the problem you found in Tiabbi’s reporting.
Can we deal in facts?

I agree entirely it is not a right or left issue. My opposition to things like domestic spying and government censorship isn’t rooted in which team is currently violating our rights.

Doesn’t do any good when a false report is going viral. That needs to come down now. Simply having the government, any government saying it’s false does little to stop the tide.

And yes the federal government in my example. Are you saying you are fine if a state government contacts the platforms but not federal?

And many events are designated w/ federal protection - Super Bowl, Olympics, political conventions …
It's not the federal government's job to censor free speech, especially to the point where they are, themselves, providing misinformation, and taking truthful information down.

Reactions: seminole97
Hopefully I can listen. It will be interesting to know who will be arguing the case for Missouri. I might take a look at the filings by each side. I'm only aware of the feds saying they weren't actually censoring speech, but simply advising the platforms.

The case is now Murthy v Missouri

It's funny that some news outlets are calling it the COVID misinformation case. It should be called the government censorship case. Turns out the misinformation came from the government.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT