ADVERTISEMENT

MLB and the union decide to send luxury tax funds to teams impacted by RSN shortcomings.

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I cannot find a good article to link the isn't behind a paywall. Maybe in a day or two more will be written to flesh out the details. I am sure the issues with RSNs have been discussed in a variety of threads, but I was struck by part of the morning show on the Score this morning speculating this is both MLB and the union understanding that until a bunch of teams square away revenue streams in the post cable world things are going to be bumpy. David Waugh said he had spoken to one top exec that said the 2024-25 FA class will find things very frosty, as even the biggest teams will face revenue shortcomings.
Under the plan teams can receive up to $15 million if they are facing shortcomings due to the Diamond Sports / Bally bankruptcy, or the Warner collapse.
I am not one to cry for team owners, but healthy revenues lift all boats, and the sooner MLB figures out how to package and create healthy streaming options the better off the game will be.

I cannot find a good article to link the isn't behind a paywall. Maybe in a day or two more will be written to flesh out the details. I am sure the issues with RSNs have been discussed in a variety of threads, but I was struck by part of the morning show on the Score this morning speculating this is both MLB and the union understanding that until a bunch of teams square away revenue streams in the post cable world things are going to be bumpy. David Waugh said he had spoken to one top exec that said the 2024-25 FA class will find things very frosty, as even the biggest teams will face revenue shortcomings.
Under the plan teams can receive up to $15 million if they are facing shortcomings due to the Diamond Sports / Bally bankruptcy, or the Warner collapse.
I am not one to cry for team owners, but healthy revenues lift all boats, and the sooner MLB figures out how to package and create healthy streaming options the better off the game will be.

MLB's blackout rules are a joke. The goal should be to get as many eyeballs as possible watching the games so they can grow the game with young fans and maximize ad revenue/broadcasting deals. If they don't address this while they're figuring out the RSN's, then they're morons.

I'm a Cubs fan that doesn't want to shell out $20/mo for Marquee, so I've only watched around 5 Cubs games on TV this season. If we were a serious playoff contender, I probably would bite the bullet and pay for Marquee.

Reactions: Tom Paris
MLB's blackout rules are a joke. The goal should be to get as many eyeballs as possible watching the games so they can grow the game with young fans and maximize ad revenue/broadcasting deals. If they don't address this while they're figuring out the RSN's, then they're morons.

I'm a Cubs fan that doesn't want to shell out $20/mo for Marquee, so I've only watched around 5 Cubs games on TV this season. If we were a serious playoff contender, I probably would bite the bullet and pay for Marquee.
I’m not a Cubs fan but it’s been really bizarre the last couple of years not having Cubs games available to watch after having them on for as long as I can remember and that goes back to Jack Brickhouse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT