ADVERTISEMENT

MLB extra innings rule change

It is somewhat similar to USSSA youth baseball rules. Called "California Rule". Runner on 2nd with one out to start extra inning games. Works good to end games without going a whole lot of extra innings.

I find MLB games too slow and too long. In favor. Also in favor of a timer between pitches and short turn around between 1/2 innings (yes, I know pitchers want to warm up...let 'em throw in the bullpen if they want, but give them, say, 2 minutes after the previous 1/2 inning ends)

I would say yes to that after the 12th inning. Let them play 3 extra innings the regular way, after that speed the game up and save some pitchers.

It is somewhat similar to USSSA youth baseball rules. Called "California Rule". Runner on 2nd with one out to start extra inning games. Works good to end games without going a whole lot of extra innings.

It's also the same thing that women's softball does. Seems like a silly change that will not fix the pace of the 95% of other games every year that don't go extra innings.

I find MLB games too slow and too long. In favor. Also in favor of a timer between pitches and short turn around between 1/2 innings (yes, I know pitchers want to warm up...let 'em throw in the bullpen if they want, but give them, say, 2 minutes after the previous 1/2 inning ends)

They are shorter than a football game and have just as much action.

(and your warming up problem isn't with baseball or the pitchers, its with TV)

In regular season I'm fine with it and I'm a purist at heart. I bet players would prefer it too. The regular 9 inninh games are already too long, extra inning games get to be torture.

The NFL’s popularity is all the more remarkable when you inspect the fare it has to offer each week on television. An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/
Yes, I'm very aware of that stat. Football is a full contact sport with 22 men on the field at once. There's not more action in baseball than football.

That runner scores 35% of the time.

It also takes out the fun of the extra inning walkoff. A guy with two outs and nobody on might swing a bit for the fences and get one and ta-da, Matt Murton hits a walkoff. Lots more small ball with a runner on.

I know! Why not just start every extra inning progressively - 10th runner on first - 11th runner on second - 12th and beyond runner on third.

Or, just flip a coin after nine.

Maybe the defense would be forced to give up a man after each inning?

Perhaps each team uses a pitching machine in extra innings.

What would be wrong with letting the umps select the winner based on style points?

Reactions: cigaretteman
They are shorter than a football game and have just as much action.

(and your warming up problem isn't with baseball or the pitchers, its with TV)
I find football games too long also. TV doesn't really need commercial breaks. Put an advertising crawl along the bottom of the screen during play or impose a company's logo on the field like the first down stripe. I freely admit I have a short attention span for pro sports.

It's also the same thing that women's softball does. Seems like a silly change that will not fix the pace of the 95% of other games every year that don't go extra innings.

Exactly, fix the problem for the 95% of games that end in 9 innings and maybe I'll watch again. You have to be unemployed or retired to have the time to waste on a baseball game with how long they are

There are so many easy ways to speed the game up, it's gotten out of control

In regular season I'm fine with it and I'm a purist at heart. I bet players would prefer it too. The regular 9 inninh games are already too long, extra inning games get to be torture.
If extra innings baseball games are torture then maybe you're just not a baseball fan.

Reactions: StonesCat
Yes, I'm very aware of that stat. Football is a full contact sport with 22 men on the field at once. There's not more action in baseball than football.

There's not sorry. That four second is pretty nice (which is great for the modern american attention span) but there's not more action. You've been led to believe wrong.

Those 22 guys have full contact sure, doesn't mean there are more action.
And of those 22 not all 22 are making a tackle. Some are just eating space, some run out routes just to take defenders away.

Just like in baseball where a pitcher might throw the ball, a batter might swing and hit it, short stop grabs it and throws it to first, but the catcher is running down the field third baseman moving to his left and outfielders backing it up.

But, nope so many have bought into this idea that violence is action. It's not. Otherwise you would consider hockey and basketball pretty boring too.

Exactly, fix the problem for the 95% of games that end in 9 innings and maybe I'll watch again. You have to be unemployed or retired to have the time to waste on a baseball game with how long they are

Average football game: 3 hours 12 minutes
Average baseball game: 2 hours 56 minutes.

I freely admit I have a short attention span for pro sports.

Then baseball should be perfect for you! Pitch, swing action, wait around and time to play on your phone or talk to others or do the laundry or whatever. But, for some reason people believe the opposite.

There's not sorry. That four second is pretty nice (which is great for the modern american attention span) but there's not more action. You've been led to believe wrong.

Those 22 guys have full contact sure, doesn't mean there are more action.
And of those 22 not all 22 are making a tackle. Some are just eating space, some run out routes just to take defenders away.

Just like in baseball where a pitcher might throw the ball, a batter might swing and hit it, short stop grabs it and throws it to first, but the catcher is running down the field third baseman moving to his left and outfielders backing it up.

But, nope so many have bought into this idea that violence is action. It's not. Otherwise you would consider hockey and basketball pretty boring too.
You know what, this is completely subjective and not worth an argument. Obviously you think baseball is a superior sport and I believe football is. Agree to disagree.

You know what, this is completely subjective and not worth an argument. Obviously you think baseball is a superior sport and I believe football is. Agree to disagree.

You can like football more that's fine. My brother does. That's subjective, I agree.

That's not what being discussed.

You can't make a case that football has more action, when in reality it doesn't. Measuring time isn't really subjective. 11 minutes of gameplay and lots more time of people standing around and bud ads isn't subjective. It's measured data.

You can like football more that's fine. My brother does. That's subjective, I agree.

That's not what being discussed.

You can't make a case that football has more action, when in reality it doesn't. Measuring time isn't really subjective. 11 minutes of gameplay and lots more time of people standing around and bud ads isn't subjective. It's measured data.
Ok, you got a link to this measured data? I'd love to look it over.

Then baseball should be perfect for you! Pitch, swing action, wait around and time to play on your phone or talk to others or do the laundry or whatever. But, for some reason people believe the opposite.
thanks for the pep talk. I know most sports fans enjoy 3-hour long games more than I do. I'm just throwing in my $.02 cuz I can. I realize nobody cares
:)

Just hell no. As others have said, the "speed of the game" measures need to focus on the first 9 innings because that's all there is in 95+% of games. If they can't trim that down, then dealing with extras is pointless.

I can totally see that rule in youth baseball and maybe even non-tournament HS games. Pitching is often thin and it's amateur baseball, so get people out of there. In the bigs? No. Just no.

If they want to speed the game, just put a pitch clock in and be done with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT