ADVERTISEMENT

Molly Davis Update

A bummer for her (and the Hawks) missing another trip to the Natty game. Hawks could have used her.

Most likely it will be her family’s health insurance that pays for it.

That sucks if true. I would have thought that the University pays for sports related injuries of their scholarship athletes. Some people (like me) have a $14k deductible. That would really suck.

Of course the UofI Athletic Department will cover everything.
*Even cheerleaders are covered through all rehab on any injury sustained practicing or performing.

She is covered under the University as all scholarship athletes are.

The family's insurance is primary for any injuries she suffers, so they cover the majority of the cost.

"The charges for any medical visits or treatments your son/daughter may receive will be first sent to your primary insurance company for payment. The Athletic Department is a secondary payor on the medical bills generated when a student-athlete is seen by a physician or a physical therapist at the Sports Medicine Center or at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics."

The family's insurance is primary for any injuries she suffers, so they cover the majority of the cost.

"The charges for any medical visits or treatments your son/daughter may receive will be first sent to your primary insurance company for payment. The Athletic Department is a secondary payor on the medical bills generated when a student-athlete is seen by a physician or a physical therapist at the Sports Medicine Center or at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics."

So basically the students insurance first, then the University, then anything over 90,000 the NCAA picks up.

The student, ie Molly in this case, should not pay anything out of pocket.

Granted this is 15 years old...but I would think they have not gone backwards.

The University of Iowa, which like Michigan State is a member of the Big Ten, provides among the most comprehensive coverage for varsity athletes. The university received 4,200 medical bills for them last year, paying $776,454, according to documents obtained through an Iowa Public Records Law request. The university has also begun paying for uninsured full-scholarship athletes to enroll in the student health care offered on campus.

Starting next year the NCAA put in more requirements.

We have rules here!!!
R1Rvm77.gif

*Not sure how those athletic department insurance policies change over time, but i know staff facilitators make it pretty easy for the athletes. Back in the day PT rehab was a given, and even dental care was included.

• Haha
Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT