ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Re-watch

whatsup13579er

HR Legend
Oct 13, 2015
I think after re-watching the game today, I am more encouraged than I was walking out of Kinnick Saturday.

Michigan was the better team. Their OL is what I think Iowa's OL can turn into. That's the biggest factor right now is that these guys just don't have the experience nor the time in the program. Michigan's OL across the board was big and talented and experienced. These guys really moved Iowa's DL in the first half.

Trente Jones 6'5" 310 Senior 4 Star 5.9 RR
Trevor Keegan 6'6" 305 Senior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Olusegun Oluwatimi 6'3" 305 6th Year Senior Transfer All-American
Zach Zinter 6'6" 315 Junior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Ryan Hayes 6'7" 305 RS Senior 3 Star 5.6 RR

You know what you don't see here? Sophomores. Only 1 Junior. Michigan has the recipe. Iowa's OL is getting better each week. They will get there in time.

I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well Saturday. They just couldn't catch a break. It seemed that every time Iowa would have a positive play on offense, there was a huge penalty called against them. A few of them were complete BS. I thought the officiating was actually worse after I watched the replay than what I thought it was watching in person on Saturday. They injected themselves into the game and absolutely had an impact on the outcome of the game. It seemed like 2 or 3 drives were stopped due to uncharacteristic, or completely fabricated, penalties. Especially the 'clipping' penalty after the 'holding' penalty in the second quarter. That drive Iowa had some real momentum and felt like they were going to get points. For all of the warts this team has, Iowa still had the ball inside Michigan's 5 with a chance to cut the lead down to 1 score midway through the 4th quarter. I think everyone on this board would have taken that situation prior to Saturday.

Spencer missed on 3 or so throws that he would like to have back but McCarthy missed on about that many too. All of your P5 QBs are going to miss some throws during the course of the game. Spencer also threw some darts that were very impressive. He actually continued to look comfortable in the pocket even knowing he likely doesn't have the time needed for the WRs to get down field. I was actually really impressed when I saw his stat line. If he can continue to throw for a 65% clip, Iowa is in good hands the remainder of the season.

My suggestions to Brian: Stop calling screen plays. The OL just doesn't have the knack to execute them and it is always a wasted down. BF needs to find a way to get Bruce the ball. Elsbury needs to be the full time LG. No more rotation. Richman-Elsbury-Jones-Stephens-Colby. Those are your best 5. It is time to ride or die with them.

This team can still win 8-9 games this season. No one in the West is hands down better than the Hawkeyes right now. IMO everything went Michigan's way Saturday and Iowa had a chance at the end to make things very interesting but just couldn't capitalize.

I think after re-watching the game today, I am more encouraged than I was walking out of Kinnick Saturday.

Michigan was the better team. Their OL is what I think Iowa's OL can turn into. That's the biggest factor right now is that these guys just don't have the experience nor the time in the program. Michigan's OL across the board was big and talented and experienced. These guys really moved Iowa's DL in the first half.

Trente Jones 6'5" 310 Senior 4 Star 5.9 RR
Trevor Keegan 6'6" 305 Senior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Olusegun Oluwatimi 6'3" 305 6th Year Senior Transfer All-American
Zach Zinter 6'6" 315 Junior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Ryan Hayes 6'7" 305 RS Senior 3 Star 5.6 RR

You know what you don't see here? Sophomores. Only 1 Junior. Michigan has the recipe. Iowa's OL is getting better each week. They will get there in time.

I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well Saturday. They just couldn't catch a break. It seemed that every time Iowa would have a positive play on offense, there was a huge penalty called against them. A few of them were complete BS. I thought the officiating was actually worse after I watched the replay than what I thought it was watching in person on Saturday. They injected themselves into the game and absolutely had an impact on the outcome of the game. It seemed like 2 or 3 drives were stopped due to uncharacteristic, or completely fabricated, penalties. Especially the 'clipping' penalty after the 'holding' penalty in the second quarter. That drive Iowa had some real momentum and felt like they were going to get points. For all of the warts this team has, Iowa still had the ball inside Michigan's 5 with a chance to cut the lead down to 1 score midway through the 4th quarter. I think everyone on this board would have taken that situation prior to Saturday.

Spencer missed on 3 or so throws that he would like to have back but McCarthy missed on about that many too. All of your P5 QBs are going to miss some throws during the course of the game. Spencer also threw some darts that were very impressive. He actually continued to look comfortable in the pocket even knowing he likely doesn't have the time needed for the WRs to get down field. I was actually really impressed when I saw his stat line. If he can continue to throw for a 65% clip, Iowa is in good hands the remainder of the season.

My suggestions to Brian: Stop calling screen plays. The OL just doesn't have the knack to execute them and it is always a wasted down. BF needs to find a way to get Bruce the ball. Elsbury needs to be the full time LG. No more rotation. Richman-Elsbury-Jones-Stephens-Colby. Those are your best 5. It is time to ride or die with them.

This team can still win 8-9 games this season. No one in the West is hands down better than the Hawkeyes right now. IMO everything went Michigan's way Saturday and Iowa had a chance at the end to make things very interesting but just couldn't capitalize.
exactly what I saw. on the screen plays....always to Gavin Williams- who is a good back and more of a banger, but these need to go to the backs with speed- Kaleb

Good stuff.

Was at the game and it was pretty jarring how much bigger Michigans OL looked compared to our DL.

I think a year from now we’ll feel differently about our OL group. Not only young, but just a lack of experience too.

Iowa had to stop the run to have a chance OR force McCarthy into mistakes. They did neither.
Iowa's DL didn't seem to have much snap to it. Got pushed back about 3 yards on most running plays. But, they were facing arguably the best OL in the BiG, if not the FBS. Really missed Y. Black's size and power against those maulers.

Corum reminds me of a mini-Barkley. Keeps driving for extra yards after getting hit hard. He's not in Superman's class, but damn good.

Campbell's been kinda quiet the last 2 games. Isn't there a rumor he's nursing a shoulder issue?

Offensively, I see a unit low on confidence and unable to overcome penalties, missed blocks, errant passes, and no deep threats.

Sometimes, it's darkest just before the dawn. A little success may be what they need to start having more good drives and scoring more points.

Good stuff.

Was at the game and it was pretty jarring how much bigger Michigans OL looked compared to our DL.

I think a year from now we’ll feel differently about our OL group. Not only young, but just a lack of experience too.
It would have looked better if Van Ness was outside and we had Black back in the middle, but it is what we have to go with

I’ve also noticed that we love screen plays that seem to always have potential but pretty much never work. I wonder if Brian calls them knowing they likely won’t work but we need to have that threat to put something in the DL’s head to keep them from pinning their ears back getting after our QB so hard every passing down.

Reactions: Plimbob15
exactly what I saw. on the screen plays....always to Gavin Williams- who is a good back and more of a banger, but these need to go to the backs with speed- Kaleb
Even the WR screen plays this season have been lackluster. Bruce has the skillset to shine there and for whatever reason they just aren't able to execute.

Iowa had to stop the run to have a chance OR force McCarthy into mistakes. They did neither.
Still, if Iowa hadn't gotten the cheap clipping call and/or were able to punch it in from inside the 5 in the 4th, they would've been right in it. Everything is moving in the right direction I think.

Spencer is definitely getting better. The OL is getting better. This is why I said on Saturday that 9-3 or 8-4 is definitely on play.

I think Brian only calls screens on third and long. Change it up a bit and I think it will be a better option. That play would have been big if the one defender didn’t read it so well.

Iow won the ML this weekend is a great bet.

In hindsight, needed to be more aggressive on D from the start and force McCarthy to beat us.
this is a recurring problem. how many times in the past 2-3 seasons has our defense allowed teams to drive down the field on their opening possession and score TDs?? Answer: WAY more than a defense of Iowa's caliber should. It's great that they make adjustments... but sheesh.

Iowa's DL didn't seem to have much snap to it. Got pushed back about 3 yards on most running plays. But, they were facing arguably the best OL in the BiG, if not the FBS. Really missed Y. Black's size and power against those maulers.

Corum reminds me of a mini-Barkley. Keeps driving for extra yards after getting hit hard. He's not in Superman's class, but damn good.

Campbell's been kinda quiet the last 2 games. Isn't there a rumor he's nursing a shoulder issue?

Offensively, I see a unit low on confidence and unable to overcome penalties, missed blocks, errant passes, and no deep threats.

Sometimes, it's darkest just before the dawn. A little success may be what they need to start having more good drives and scoring more points.
The DL was getting used in the 1st half which allowed their OL to get to the 2nd level to the linebackers. Later in the 3rd quarter the DL rotation of Hurkett, Craig, Van ness, Graves was blowing up the OL. Shannon was rotating in with Graves but honestly these guys seemed fresh.

The DL was getting used in the 1st half which allowed their OL to get to the 2nd level to the linebackers. Later in the 3rd quarter the DL rotation of Hurkett, Craig, Van ness, Graves was blowing up the OL. Shannon was rotating in with Graves but honestly these guys seemed fresh.
I am very impressed when A. Graves bullrushes, for a frosh. Powerful kid.

What you are saying about our o-line is absolutely true. Add in Proctor to this group and we should be able good for a couple of years.

Reactions: praguehawk
What you are saying about our o-line is absolutely true. Add in Proctor to this group and we should be able good for a couple of years.
Put me in the minority that doesn't think Proctor will come in as a Freshman and start. Just like X this season, he will find a roll and get adjusted to D1 football his first year on campus.

Substitute Dunker for Stephens on your starting OL and I agree with you (although starting to question Colby a little). Dunker seemed to not play after the bogus holding call on him, so not sure what was going on there.

yes, short of maybe 1-2 SEC schools, that might be the best OL in the country! We were not the better team, but like you said, we had a chance to make it a one score game in the fourth. One yard short...

Not only did every major call go against us...but every major call seem to come on a positive Iowa play. And a couple were just missed calls. I was told the Michigan play who was roughed was laughing after the call (according to an Iowa player)!

Put me in the minority that doesn't think Proctor will come in as a Freshman and start. Just like X this season, he will find a roll and get adjusted to D1 football his first year on campus.
I’ve never seen him play, but he would have to be on par with Bulaga and Wirfs to be there. That could allow Colby to maybe move inside. Or start him at Guard and he’d bump out to tackle for years 2 and 3.

how is his footwork and position control?

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I’ve never seen him play, but he would have to be on par with Bulaga and Wirfs to be there. That could allow Colby to maybe move inside. Or start him at Guard and he’d bump out to tackle for years 2 and 3.

I don't see him as a guard, but OL isn't my area of expertise. He's fairly limber for a 6'8 guy, but I think hes tackle all the way.

I’m eager for a re-watch and Leistekow’s DVR Monday column. I was most impressed by the fight in our OL. Despite mistakes and bad breaks, they kept fighting. Really bad sequence in pass blocking on the 2nd to last drive, or I would’ve said our OL outplayed theirs in the 2nd half.

Reactions: whatsup13579er

Speaking of Wirf.... my God is he good. He's about to be an obscenely wealthy young man. Maybe the highest paid O-Lineman in NFL history??

From what I have seen from proctor he has bad footwork. Wirfs also should have never seen the field his freshman year.

Probably tur, but man the Corum is a cyborg. He is built like the proverbial brick sht house.
Yeah, tough to maintain gap responsibility while being aggressive so as to not allow the cyborg to bust loose. We bent and bent and never really broke... so tip of the hat to UM, I guess.

Reactions: jrwolfe999
Exactly. The refs were even WORSE when seeing the game on TV then seeing it live LOL.

You are so right about the M OL, they pushed us around and they were the difference. I said it in my one post, our DL just cannot matchup with that type of OL (currently too young or too small or both).

With that said, Iowa still had a chance in the 4th Q! That gives me a little hope moving forward ... I wasn't upset leaving Kinnick, but I was a little discouraged about how the rest of the season would go, but watching the tape helped! Go Hawks!

Michigan lost a little of its edge/efficiency once they got to 20, on both sides of the ball. Hawks were getting momentum back until donkeyf%ck at the MU goal line and then the 3 consecutive sacks allowed (Colby) and pressure causing an incompletion to quickly end all hope.

The talk about the offense improving needs to stop. We had zero points until the 4th Q, averaged 3.3 YPC, and had a lot of costly penalties (whether you agree with them or not, they were called). Petras ate up against prevent D. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: partymarty
The talk about the offense improving needs to stop. We had zero points until the 4th Q, averaged 3.3 YPC, and had a lot of costly penalties (whether you agree with them or not, they were called). Petras ate up against prevent D. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'd rather have Iowa's offense improving with each week than look like Wisconsin has the last 2 weeks.

Look, you got your opinion and I got mine...don't tell ME this offense wasn't better than it was 3 weeks ago...it was!

Exactly. The refs were even WORSE when seeing the game on TV then seeing it live LOL.

You are so right about the M OL, they pushed us around and they were the difference. I said it in my one post, our DL just cannot matchup with that type of OL (currently too young or too small or both).

With that said, Iowa still had a chance in the 4th Q! That gives me a little hope moving forward ... I wasn't upset leaving Kinnick, but I was a little discouraged about how the rest of the season would go, but watching the tape helped! Go Hawks!
One thing I caught with the refs was on the drive in the 4th where they almost scored to cut it to a one score game, it was second and 4. Completion to NR who caught it for a 2 yard gain but it was spotted at the original line. I had the volume off so maybe he bobbled it? But not much and they ended up getting two yards on the next play which would have been 1st down. Instead, 4th and 2... basically game over after that.

I agree with most of your post but strongly disagree about screen passes. IMO. they are our best counter for what ails us- a leaky OL and we need to run more of them, not fewer. But we need to run them MUCH better.

They currently are the clearest illustration of our overall design and execution problems. Successful screen plays are not " some players drifting outside to block somebody for a pass receiver". They require precision. The blocker's new positions have to be precisely prescribed and followed, the position of each member of the blocking wall relative to each other has to be prescribed and followed, the blocking of each has to be prescribed specifically, as well as the contingencies based on defensive reactions, the pass has to be accurate and well-timed, and the receiver has to have good hands, vision, a burst, and some shiftiness.

They require a high level of thought (design) and execution (practice). Watch the precision of a good screen passing team. In comparison, ours looks like a chinese fire drill. We have the players, but again, do we have the coaching?

And finally, KNACK has nothing to do with it. You can already see what depending on knack is doing to the entire offense.

Reactions: sob5
Great post. My thought exactly. What sucks right now is Petras haters would find a way to bitch if he goes 30-30, 500 yards and 5 TDs against Ohio State. Padilla got more than a fair shot last year. Petras bailed Iowa out in the second half against Nebraska and that probably sealed Padilla's fate of ever taking over the starting spot from Petras

Reactions: sob5
Successful screen plays are not " some players drifting outside to block somebody for a pass receiver". They require precision. The blocker's new positions have to be precisely prescribed and followed, the position of each member of the blocking wall relative to each other has to be prescribed and followed, the blocking of each has to be prescribed specifically, as well as the contingencies based on defensive reactions, the pass has to be accurate and well-timed, and the receiver has to have good hands, vision, a burst, and some shiftiness.

They require a high level of thought (design) and execution (practice).
Obviously, Iowa hasn't devoted a lot of time to executing screen plays. Until they have the time to properly devote practice time to mastering them, take them out of the play book.

Great post. My thought exactly. What sucks right now is Petras haters would find a way to bitch if he goes 30-30, 500 yards and 5 TDs against Ohio State. Padilla got more than a fair shot last year. Petras bailed Iowa out in the second half against Nebraska and that probably sealed Padilla's fate of ever taking over the starting spot from Petras
I don't think that's the reason Petras is starting over Padilla. My recollection is different from yours in terms of what Petras did in that game versus Padilla, and why Iowa won that game. But, to each his own.

Obviously, Iowa hasn't devoted a lot of time to executing screen plays. Until they have the time to properly devote practice time to mastering them, take them out of the play book.
I agree but with all the things they "haven't devoted a lot of time to" it makes you wonder what they did in spring and fall practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT