ADVERTISEMENT

More bad news for EVs: Your Mileage May Vary....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Electric vehicles are billed as providing a more earth-friendly driving option. But not all EVs are created equal, with a new Consumer Reports study finding that about half fall short of their driving ranges as estimated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

That's a potential issue for EV owners on long-distance trips, who could find themselves running out of juice sooner than they expected. The vehicle ranges are advertised in window stickers that say how far they'll go on a full charge and are overseen by the EPA.

Finding reliable charging stations can be a challenge for EV owners when they're far from home and in unfamiliar territory, Alex Knizek, manager of auto testing and insights at Consumer Reports, told CBS MoneyWatch. The consumer organization tested 22 of the most popular EVs on the number of miles they can travel on the highway without a charge.

"Range is one thing that we know a lot of consumers care about," Knizek said. "Charging anxiety becomes a prominent thing — a charger might be broken or maybe charging at a lower rate than advertised."

Consumer Reports drove the vehicles until they ran out of juice, examining how long they traveled until their charge was exhausted, Knizek said. Some EVs fell 50 miles short of their advertised ranges, although some exceeded their estimated ranges, with one vehicle outperforming by 70 miles.

"Having a longer range is more of a convenience — you probably won't get stranded," he said. "If you plan to take long trips, that's where it becomes more impactful and where this information shines."

Consumer Reports said it tested the vehicles during the summer in temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 degrees with clear weather, the most favorable conditions for EVs since driving in the cold can shorten an electric vehicle's range. It also inspected tires for wear, which can impact range, and checked their air pressure.

The advocacy group added that it didn't test some vehicles from Chevrolet, Nissan, Polestar, Tesla and Rivian because it doesn't own them or they don't meet all their standards for testing.

Best and worst driving ranges​

The vehicles that performed better than their EPA-estimated driving ranges were from BMW and Mercedes-Benz, the analysis found.

For instance, the 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE 350 4Matic had the greatest overperformance, with the vehicle traveling an extra 72 miles beyond its EPA-estimated driving range of 260 miles, Consumer Reports found.

The biggest difference in range on the negative side was the Ford F-150 Lightning pickup trucks, with Consumer Reports finding that its battery ran out after 270 miles — 50 miles short of the EPA estimate.

The research comes on the heels of CR's findings that EVs have 80% more problems and are generally less reliable than cars with conventional internal combustion engines. Buyers can now take advantage of a federal tax credit worth up to $7,500 for purchasing an EV and as automakers roll out a host of new models, which is spurring some interest in the vehicles.

I’m shocked that a pickup would be one of the biggest variants. Hauling, towing, potentially going off-road are huge variants.

Reactions: joelbc1 and Wendy79
shocked no way GIF

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
My nephew has a lightning. Range was seriously cut down those couple days that were about 5 degrees. I ran in to him around midday after making the rounds. He laughed but said he was serious that he hopes he makes it back home. It is a company vehicle…he neither hauls nor pulls anything with it.

The thing is with EV's it's all about how you drive it.

When I'm in "rocket ship" mode (grandson calls it that) I burn through the battery.

When I'm in "lets see if I can make it to work without tapping the brakes" mode I think I exceed the advertised mileage.

I know it's the same with combustion engines but I think it's exaggerated with EV's.....at least mine.

When I'm in "rocket ship" mode (grandson calls it that) I burn through the battery.

When I'm in "lets see if I can make it to work without tapping the brakes" mode I think I exceed the advertised mileage.

I know it's the same with combustion engines but I think it's exaggerated with EV's.....at least mine.
This is likely very much the case. I would hope that it is something that will improve as the technology matures.

Do you charge yours daily? That's what we end up doing per recommendation. Takes away the potential stress a little.

You mean, how I drive affects mileage? Who’d have thought that? Stunned..I m stunned...and feel betrayed! 😲

What part of the article suggests that's how they tested all these different cars?

It specifically says they tested all cars on the same highway route at the same ambient temperature.

No where does it say that the drivers operated the cars any differently.

You guys should try driving an ICE in a northern state.

I lose 20% "city" mpg once temps go below freezing overnight. EVERY vehicle I have ever owned has done that.

Tell me who I'm supposed to be angry at. Tell me why I shouldn't be deriding ICE, which have been around for 100+ goddam years, for "my mileage may vary".

I wonder if the people using their horse and buggies pissed and moaned about "I do say, my good man, have you seen the abysmal gas mileage those damned infernal newfangled automobiles get in the cold weather? Why, I do say they'll NEVER catch on! Never I tell you!"

A hundred years from now, the human race will laugh their collective asses off at how civilization pissed and moaned about this bullshit. And they'll laugh without coughing and wheezing because their goddam air isn't choking them to death any more.

There is going to be a huge market for recycling EV batteries in the next few years. There are also going to be a lot of unhappy EV owners when they find out that new replacement battery isn't $150 but 100 times that.

For all of you environmentalists out there, tire dust is double coming from an EV than from a comparable ICE vehicle. Besides spewing all that tire dust into the air, what do you think an extra ton of weight on each vehicle does to the roads? What are the primary materials that make up asphalt to repair the roads?

Can they use this to charge them for the gas taxes they're not paying to pay for this highway?
I stumbled onto this older thread.
You somehow think that gas taxes pay for the highways? They haven’t been raised in thirty years while inflation has increased costs by 93%. The general fund is tapped big time for transport related infrastructure.

United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. Proceeds from the tax partly support the Highway Trust Fund. The federal tax was last raised October 1, 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased 93% from 1993 until 2022.

I stumbled onto this older thread.
You somehow think that gas taxes pay for the highways? They haven’t been raised in thirty years while inflation has increased costs by 93%. The general fund is tapped big time for transport related infrastructure.

United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. Proceeds from the tax partly support the Highway Trust Fund. The federal tax was last raised October 1, 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased 93% from 1993 until 2022.
Well that is certainly not going to fit someone’s agenda!

Change is hard. And not for everyone. Thanks for sharing this.
Change can also be expensive.

Tesla Owner Slapped With $14,000 Repair Bill Less Than 24 Hours After Buying the Car​

A Tesla owner was confronted with a $14,000 repair bill just one day after purchasing a Model Y. This incident, as detailed in a Reuters report, is indicative of broader issues that Tesla is experiencing.

The Model Y's suspension broke with only 115 miles on the odometer, highlighting a significant concern for new owners about the reliability of their vehicles.

The Tesla Model Y experienced a suspension failure at a mere 115 miles, as reported by Reuters. This failure not only represents a substantial inconvenience for the owner but also raises questions about the overall build quality of Tesla vehicles.

The issue was so severe that it caused the vehicle to come into contact with the road, losing steering capabilities.

Jain was initially under the impression that Tesla would cover the repair costs, as per his conversation with Reuters.

However, he later received a letter from Tesla indicating that the $14,000 repair bill was due to "prior" damage. This situation led to increased insurance premiums for Jain and a deductible payment of approximately $1,250, adding financial strain to the already stressful situation.

You guys should try driving an ICE in a northern state.

I lose 20% "city" mpg once temps go below freezing overnight. EVERY vehicle I have ever owned has done that.

Tell me who I'm supposed to be angry at. Tell me why I shouldn't be deriding ICE, which have been around for 100+ goddam years, for "my mileage may vary".

I wonder if the people using their horse and buggies pissed and moaned about "I do say, my good man, have you seen the abysmal gas mileage those damned infernal newfangled automobiles get in the cold weather? Why, I do say they'll NEVER catch on! Never I tell you!"

A hundred years from now, the human race will laugh their collective asses off at how civilization pissed and moaned about this bullshit. And they'll laugh without coughing and wheezing because their goddam air isn't choking them to death any more.

R.87f5268edd90ecdde1ee8cade47b77c3

There is going to be a huge market for recycling EV batteries in the next few years. There are also going to be a lot of unhappy EV owners when they find out that new replacement battery isn't $150 but 100 times that.

For all of you environmentalists out there, tire dust is double coming from an EV than from a comparable ICE vehicle. Besides spewing all that tire dust into the air, what do you think an extra ton of weight on each vehicle does to the roads? What are the primary materials that make up asphalt to repair the roads?

What happens when the energy density continues to improve and EVs become lighter / require fewer batteries for the same range?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT