ADVERTISEMENT

Moss

DavenportHawk8

HB All-American
Mar 10, 2014
Saw he had 19pts last nights game. I think they are in post-season in Illinois. Hopefully they can make it to state, would love to watch on TV.

Nebraska signee Ed Morrow had 22 and 12 and Illinois signee DJ Williams had 15.

Simeon rolled Homewood-Flossmoor 85-62 in the sectional semifinals.

Good for Isaiah hope he tears it up in the post-season! Keep the updates coming people!

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
Saw he had 19pts last nights game. I think they are in post-season in Illinois. Hopefully they can make it to state, would love to watch on TV.
It would be a big upset if they don't. I believe Simeon is rated #1.

Morrow looks like a strong candidate for Illinois POY to me - he is certainly the most skilled player on that team. For McCaffery, IMO Ed Morrow is not as big of miss as Ulis but not far behind either.

Originally posted by nu2u:
Morrow looks like a strong candidate for Illinois POY to me - he is certainly the most skilled player on that team. For McCaffery, IMO Ed Morrow is not as big of miss as Ulis but not far behind either.
Disagree. He is a small very active 4 so I am not sure his play will translate at the same level. He will certainly be a good player but in Moss we have a big guard who IMO has more upside potential due to his combo of size/athleticism at the position he plays.

I see both as being good players but neither being program changers.

Moss can play the 1-2-3 and has range to 3, can Morrow do that?

Moss fits into Fran's system better than Morrow. 6'5 Moss vs 6'7 Morrow, both are 4*'s by ESPN.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Moss fits into Fran's system better than Morrow. 6'5 Moss vs 6'7 Morrow, both are 4*'s by ESPN.
Trying to hard.

Long term who knows, but we certainly needed Morrow more than Moss for next season, that's for sure.

we need 6'7 PF 215 lbs Morrow when we already have 6'7 PF 215 lb Wagner same skills, same shooting range and same size. what Wagner only has 3* by his name so he is not good enough? remember White was a unranked 3* when he came in.

Originally posted by unIowa:
Originally posted by nu2u:
Disagree. He is a small very active 4 so I am not sure his play will translate at the same level. He will certainly be a good player but in Moss we have a big guard who IMO has more upside potential due to his combo of size/athleticism at the position he plays.

I see both as being good players but neither being program changers.
+1 The 3-4 times I've seen Morrow he just is stronger and more athletic than most guys in high school and gets a lot of garbage buckets because of his hustle. Skilled is the last way I would describe Morrow. I don't see his game translating unless he improves from outside of 5 ft. DJ Williams looks to be another overrated Illinois recruit. Williams has limited athleticism and relies on his size at that level but I can't see him playing PG in college so his size advantage won't be there.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
Morrow's a legacy. He was never coming here.
Morrow to Nebraska was not a forgone conclusion but it was certainly an uphill battle for all of the other teams. I am not faulting McCaffery at all. By all accounts, Fran made a very strong effort against long odds, which is commendable, and I believe Morrow seriously considered the Iowa offer before committing to the Huskers.

Totally agree with you 2222. Morrow is a darn fine player, but what I really like about Wagner is his ability to be a part of the system. He's a powerful young man with good leaping skills and likes to play in the post. I liken him to a more skilled, bit 'thicker' Basabe.

"Iowa got a 2 or 3* player? Stars don't matter. Iowa got a 4 or 5* player? The number of stars is the best reflection on how good a player is/will be." - hawkeye2222
This post was edited on 3/11 8:24 PM by 4th & 9 inches

Originally posted by mstp1992:
Totally agree with you 2222. Morrow is a darn fine player, but what I really like about Wagner is his ability to be a part of the system. He's a powerful young man with good leaping skills and likes to play in the post. I liken him to a more skilled, bit 'thicker' Basabe.
You should see this guy run a kick off back in football or catch a slant route. The kid is freaking fast and has good hands. I know that doesn't mean anything for basketball, but the kid is a "PURE ATHLETE" and hopefully the coaches can work with his shooting. He was getting multiple Div 1 football offers, which none of our recent recruits have had.

I also think Moss will be a good one. He is a good wing and looks like his is playing with confidence in his shot. Him and Flemming look like they will help out our Wing position a little bit next year and I have no idea how Hutton will fit in. Heard he isa lock-down defender and personally that is what Iowa needs. Your shot will come, but if you can play defense you will see early playing time under Fran.

Ulis and Morrow are both really good players but it's not like Morrow is going to be surrounded by 9 NBA players either.

Morrow will make an impact with NE because they have no one else of note in their 4-5 positions. At Iowa, he would have made an impact as a skilled guy filling a hole among other skilled guys at the 4-5. Aside from the family ties, this makes it interesting that he chose the former school.

Moss chose the situation where there's a little competition but he also fills a need. We'll see who ends up happier at the end of their careers. Maybe both?

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Trying to hard.

Long term who knows, but we certainly needed Morrow more than Moss for next season, that's for sure.
Says who? You? That's funny. Weren't you Mr. Negative with Fran and this program or have you changed your tune now or maybe you were just trying to hard being negative?

BTW...Moss is just as tall as Morrow too but can play the 1-2-3 and has good range to 3....I agree with 2222.

Nick Rakocevic was just quoted by Tom Kakert after his visit this last weekend with Moss being in town too that the coaches are really high on Moss and are expecting big things....

So let's see....hmmm...should I trust Hansen Hawk's comment's above about Moss or coaches who have just help produce two 3 star players into ALL 1st Team Big Ten Players in the last two years....

In Fran I trust and so should you and anyone else.

Originally posted by EduNeerHawk:

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Trying to hard.

Says who? You? That's funny. Weren't you Mr. Negative with Fran and this program or have you changed your tune now or maybe you were just trying to hard being negative?

BTW...Moss is just as tall as Morrow too but can play the 1-2-3 and has good range to 3....I agree with 2222.

Nick Rakocevic was just quoted by Tom Kakert after his visit this last weekend with Moss being in town too that the coaches are really high on Moss and are expecting big things....

So let's see....hmmm...should I trust Hansen Hawk's comment's above about Moss or coaches who have just help produce two 3 star players into ALL 1st Team Big Ten Players in the last two years....

In Fran I trust and so should you and anyone else.
Hansen Hawk has always been a very bitter poster here. Pretty sure he isn't an Iowa fan.

Anyone here can watch Simeon on High School Cube. IT's no different than watching an Iowa game bigten2go.com. I've watched Simeon play about 4 or 5 times and I will tell you that Ed Morrow is a stud. He gets off the floor as fast as I've seen in any high school player I've watched and I can guaranty that he will be an instant impact player at Nebraska the day they play their 1st game. Extremely athletic and active with great skill around the basket. I actually watched the game last year vs. Jahlil Okafors' team and not only did Morrow hold his own, he consistently beat Okafor up and down the floor. My guess is Morrow would be a 5 star player if he was actually 6'8" or taller. I think he is probably really only about 6'6".Moss is a guy with a lot of potential. My concern with him is his mental approach and his competitive spirit. I'm not sure on either of these, actually, but my sense is he relies on his natural ability vs playing hard (just my opinion). I definitely like his potential. I hope the coaches can coach that potential up. On another note. It seems Simeon/s coach likes to play a lot of players and Mosses minutes are a lot less than DJ Williams and Ed Morrow.

Anyway, see for yourselves. It's free, but the brand of basketball is frenetic and out of control so it can be a bit frustrating to watch.

http://thecube.com/broadcasts
This post was edited on 3/12 12:26 AM by Mitjacks

^^^^ Good post Mitjacks. Thanks for passing on info on how to watch games. When I've watched Simeon (4 times) I came away thinking that Morrow could be a Brandon Dawson type for Nebraska. A great rebounder and defender, good in transition and a high motor. He has quick hops which will be needed at his height.

I would have been thrilled to see Morrow at Iowa, but when both his parent were athletes at Nebraska, we have to be a little realistic.

I have to say, the hurt went away a bit when we got a commitment from Ahmad Wagner. I haven't seen him other than highlights but from what I gather we may have someone who could give Morrow a run for his money. And in the "less is more" category, I think Wagner will not require the ball be in his hands as much as Morrow will. Neither player strikes me as a primary Division One scoring option, but I wonder if that will be an issue for Morrow?

Last thing on Wagner, I can easily imagine him sneaking behind defenses and slamming down dunks.

As to Moss. I don't know why people aren't more excited. He doesn't take over games, but with Morrow, D J Williams and Norvell on the team it would be kind of hard to get the ball that often. But, how often does he have to show that nice jump shout out to the three point line, or good handles, or nice hops?

I get where your impression on Mosses motor comes from, but my thought is it's more a matter of too few basketballs.

Now, the "kicker" should Morrow turn out to be a pain, and he is about 6'6", we will have our 6'5" Basketball version of Bob Sanders to put on the court, Brandon Hutton. I would NOT count Hutton out for seeing playing time early and being our defensive rock.

Originally posted by DanL53:

^^^^ Good post Mitjacks. Thanks for passing on info on how to watch games. When I've watched Simeon (4 times) I came away thinking that Morrow could be a Brandon Dawson type for Nebraska. A great rebounder and defender, good in transition and a high motor. He has quick hops which will be needed at his height.

I would have been thrilled to see Morrow at Iowa, but when both his parent were athletes at Nebraska, we have to be a little realistic.

I have to say, the hurt went away a bit when we got a commitment from Ahmad Wagner. I haven't seen him other than highlights but from what I gather we may have someone who could give Morrow a run for his money. And in the "less is more" category, I think Wagner will not require the ball be in his hands as much as Morrow will. Neither player strikes me as a primary Division One scoring option, but I wonder if that will be an issue for Morrow?

Last thing on Wagner, I can easily imagine him sneaking behind defenses and slamming down dunks.

As to Moss. I don't know why people aren't more excited. He doesn't take over games, but with Morrow, D J Williams and Norvell on the team it would be kind of hard to get the ball that often. But, how often does he have to show that nice jump shout out to the three point line, or good handles, or nice hops?

I get where your impression on Mosses motor comes from, but my thought is it's more a matter of too few basketballs.

Now, the "kicker" should Morrow turn out to be a pain, and he is about 6'6", we will have our 6'5" Basketball version of Bob Sanders to put on the court, Brandon Hutton. I would NOT count Hutton out for seeing playing time early and being our defensive rock.
Fair post. Morrow will be an absolute stud in college, and like Ulis, he loved iowa and Fran...just was not meant to be.

Moss could contribute early if he shoots well.

Edu, i can understand your comments and agree.

Only thing is that we obviously went hard after morrow, so fran obviously saw the need and wanted him as well.

Its not like he chose moss over morrow. Thats just who he happened to get.

the problem is hh is that Moss plays G and SF, Morrow is strictly a PF. Wagner is every bit as Athletic as Morrow and is the PF that Fran got. so in reality you are comparing a SG to a PF instead of comparing Morrow to Wagner you choose another route to go.

try comparing Wagner to Morrow, poster have said that Moss can play the point guard position, and I feel a player that can play 3 position in Fran's system is far more valuable than 1 that has limited range and plays just 1 position,

so what if he can dunk, White can dunk but was constantly ripped because of his lack of a outside shot. ie; 3 point shot.

also as I pointed out Wagner is 6'7 215 lbs vs Morrow who is 6'7 215 lbs although some say Morrow is 6'6 but I will give him the benefit of the doubt on him being 6'7 as I have not personally measured him.

Wagner being a coveted WR in FB means to me he will be able to bang with anybody in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT