ADVERTISEMENT

Most likely Kirk Ferentz retirement scenerio?

What is the most likely Kirk Ferentz retirement scenerio?

• Coaches through at least the 2025-2026 season regardless of what happens

Votes: 118 50.0%
  • Steps down after reaching B1G Championship, Rose Bowl Game, or wins NY6 quality bowl

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Steps down after Spencer Petras graduates

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • Iowa wins less than 6 games in 2021-2022 and Ferentz retires

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • Coaches through at least the 2027-2028 season regardless of what happens

Votes: 42 17.8%

• Total voters
I think he was likely hoping to set his sons up for a career after he retires, similar to Bill Snyder. All of the off-season troubles probably threw a wrench into that.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Health of himself or his wife.

Well, shoot, that made me sad.

I'll tell ya, nobody outside of my family got to me when I've seen them cry as much as KF. Call me whatever name you want, but that piece Ranaldi did about the children's hospital and them losing their grandchild, and when Tom asks Kirk about it, he holds it together for a couple seconds and then buckles.....holy God, a truckload of cut onions crashed in my living room!

Ferentz' contract expires at the end of the 2025 season. There will be no further extensions IMO.

Ferentz will announce his retirement at the end of the 2023 season IMO (or after the Dec. signing deadline) before talk of another extension heats up again. I bet early retirement (before 2025 contract expiration) was likely discussed in the last round of negotiations Ferentz has probably privately discussed his plans with Barta. I would not be surprised if there are compensation provisions which address early retirement.

Ferentz' contract expires at the end of the 2025 season. There will be no further extensions IMO.

Ferentz will announce his retirement at the end of the 2023 season IMO (or after the Dec. signing deadline) before talk of another extension heats up again. I bet early retirement (before 2025 contract expiration) was likely discussed in the last round of negotiations Ferentz has probably privately discussed his plans with Barta. I would not be surprised if there are compensation provisions which address early retirement.
I don't know. He's still very fit for a man in his mid 60's and enjoying what he's doing, and things look good at this point. Two years seems pretty soon to me. IF they were to win the West, AND the BIG, and play in the CFP, then I could see him riding off into the sunset. Otherwise I'll bet he's here for awhile yet as head Hawk.....

Well, shoot, that made me sad.

I'll tell ya, nobody outside of my family got to me when I've seen them cry as much as KF. Call me whatever name you want, but that piece Ranaldi did about the children's hospital and them losing their grandchild, and when Tom asks Kirk about it, he holds it together for a couple seconds and then buckles.....holy God, a truckload of cut onions crashed in my living room!
Yep, that one and the Greenwood piece which I think may have been Rose Bowl pregame or BT Championship pregame. I believe also in an older piece around the time of his father's death.

They are saying something to recruits now because I guarantee you other schools are whispering, hey Kirk is old he is gonna retire before you get done at school there. What is Iowa's formal response to that to the recruits?

I don't know. He's still very fit for a man in his mid 60's and enjoying what he's doing, and things look good at this point. Two years seems pretty soon to me. IF they were to win the West, AND the BIG, and play in the CFP, then I could see him riding off into the sunset. Otherwise I'll bet he's here for awhile yet as head Hawk.....
I would bet he doesn't eat many cheeseburgers or fast food. Some of the younger staff should take his lead in their health.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I believe KF will coach until 70 and if doesn't retire at that point, he will take it on a year to year basis. I'm certain he doesn't want to stay in coaching too long as others have.

KF has always said he wasn't going to be one of those coaches who hangs on forever, like that old man at Penn State did, for one example, but saying it and acting on it can be two different things. KF has already dodged plenty of tough times in Iowa City that few, if any other D1 coaches would have survived thanks, of course, to GB. So KF has already been one lucky fella. Of course, that still doesn't mean he'll leave anytime soon, but I would like to see what Iowa football looks like under someone else.

If KF stays beyond the 2025 season, no matter what happens on the field, I'd say he would be pushing it too far. He needs to give it up no later than the '25 season, and anyone not named Ferentz should take over. IMHO.

I doubt motivating the fear of retirement among potential recruits is as powerful as it used to be. If he retires, players can simply transfer out with no penalty.

I think there are many good coaches currently in the program. I would like to see Phil Parker get a 5 year run, and if not, Coach Bell, Woods, or Copeland. If one of those are named, I bet there would be little attrition.

You all need to ask Mary, she is the decider in all of this. I’m sure she doesn’t want him putzing around the house/property doing nothing all day when he can be hanging with the young lads teaching them about life and football.

KF has always said he wasn't going to be one of those coaches who hangs on forever, like that old man at Penn State did, for one example, but saying it and acting on it can be two different things. KF has already dodged plenty of tough times in Iowa City that few, if any other D1 coaches would have survived thanks, of course, to GB. So KF has already been one lucky fella. Of course, that still doesn't mean he'll leave anytime soon, but I would like to see what Iowa football looks like under someone else.

If KF stays beyond the 2025 season, no matter what happens on the field, I'd say he would be pushing it too far. He needs to give it up no later than the '25 season, and anyone not named Ferentz should take over. IMHO.
Go cheer for the clowns then.

Reactions: herkhatescy
I believe KF will coach until 70 and if doesn't retire at that point, he will take it on a year to year basis. I'm certain he doesn't want to stay in coaching too long as others have.
i agree with the 70 but the year to year thing might hurt recruiting a little bit.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
If Kirk coaches for 5 more years he could very realistically pass Woody Hayes for all time wins as a big ten coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerkyFan
He will retire close to the start of some season. Forcing Iowa to give his son a shot at earning the job.

that is my prediction.
Agreed. He will paint the school into a corner and force them to hire BF. State employees, especially the highest paid, should have term limits. Give him another year and develop a succession plan not named Ferentz.

Reactions: RomanHawk
They are saying something to recruits now because I guarantee you other schools are whispering, hey Kirk is old he is gonna retire before you get done at school there. What is Iowa's formal response to that to the recruits?

The response is likely something like it's always been. Iowa has a track record of stability. Two coaches in 40 years. I love what I'm doing, have a track record of being here. My health is good, etc. Any coach that tells a recruit anything other than that is lying to them.

In terms of what KF will do, my guess is if Iowa were to have another really good season (division title or better) he might consider retiring. Go out on a good note, show the program is in a good place, but don't have the end be like Hayden.

I don't think this is likely. I believe every single P5 coach has at least 4 years on his contract. Even guys on the verge of being fired have a single year tacked on "so they can tell recruits they'll be there their entire careers." Kirk won't be coaching in 2023 with 2 years left on his contract.

If Kirk completes the 2021 season as head coach, I can see a one-year extension added to his contract in January 2022, at the same numbers of the final year of his current contract. Repeat every year until he announces his retirement.

Reactions: bowlhawk
You all need to ask Mary, she is the decider in all of this. I’m sure she doesn’t want him putzing around the house/property doing nothing all day when he can be hanging with the young lads teaching them about life and football.
I am sure they had a little taste of it last year. Probably had more down time than he has had in 40 years. He has stated he doesn't golf and don't think much for hobbies, so unless they plan to travel while they can, assume it would involve hanging around home with the grandkids.

I hope Kirk stays until he is at least 70, so 4-5 more seasons minimum. I imagine Brian will be given more responsibility, possibly associate head coach. I would not mind Iowa football doing what Duke is doing with Coach K - announce Ferentz's last season and name his successor at the same time. Have a very smooth transfer of power. Of course, this is all dependent on the team winning a lot of games over the next few years.

KF is only 65 years old. Paterno coached until he was 85, so KF has about 20 years or so to figure out when he wants to step down. It will be within the next 10 years I suspect. Iowa will continue to extend his contract out to a full 4 year window annually until that time comes and he rides off into the sunset.

Which direction Iowa goes at that time remains to be seen. Brian is not a lock for the job, nor should he be. He's got a lot of growing up to do for a 38 year old man IMO.

Reactions: Underscore2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT