ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Rushmore - Athletes from Iowa

Roger Craig, Michael Nunn, Ricky Davis, Harrison Barnes, Lolo Jones, Reggie Roby, Dedric Ward, Cal Eldred, Jeremy Hellickson, Zach Johnson, Marshall Yanda, AJ Derby, Stacy Frese, Kia Stokes, Omaha Bielew?

Guess I missed the Mt. Rushmore part, lol. Most of these wouldn't make the top 4
Also, I think we’re looking for athletes that attended the University of Iowa?

Not my Rushmore list. But I challenge you on "several not in the top 100". Everyone on that list is pretty legit, if not exceptional.

Obviously, time will tell on Bielew. That's why I put a question mark.

Without having my top 100 layed out in front of me, Derby could be a stretch, I get it. But again, when speaking pure athleticism, AJ makes a list.

Gotta give some love to some women, whether they are top 100 or not. Rankings get murky across genders. Frese played in the WNBA, and for Iowa and ISU. Turned a bad ISU program around, and they've been good ever since. Hugely important basketball figure to the state. Stokes has played several years in the WNBA and is champion.

Ward made winning plays for Parcels in the NFL. Would be much more fondly remembered had he played for the Hawks instead of UNI. At the time, Hayden had one more scholly available at WR, and chose the height of 6'3" Clinton Solomon. Dedric was also hard to keep off the list, athletically. Ran a 4.3 40 and could have been BIg Ten PG had he chosen basketball. One athlete I have never seen off-balance.

Yanda is a Hall-of-Famer and champion.

Same with Roger Craig. Please tell me I'm not defending him for top 100.

Zach "Green Jacket" Johnson has to be somewhere in the top 100.

Eldred and Hellickson have at the very least been strong #2 starters in a rotation. Top 100 for Iowa? Who knows. But legit nonetheless.

Michael Nunn world champion in maybe the purest sport of them all.

And again, please don't tell me I'm arguing for Reggie Roby to get in the top 100. One of the two best punters of all time. And hit a 55 yard FG in high school. The sport is called "foot"ball.

Lolo Jones has a few world championship medals.

Ricky Davis might be the most athletic of them all.

And Harrison Barnes was as highly recruited as any and is a champion. Really, any NBA player should be in the top 100, as statistically it's about impossible to stick for more than a cup of coffee. McDermott, Korver, Bowen, Bullard, Hasen, on down the line
Fred Hoiberg? Afterall, he was also a “mayor”. 😉

All-time, any sport, From the State of Iowa.

Maybe -

Caitlin Clark
Nile Kinnick
Dan Gable
Shawn Johnson

Kurt Warner?
Tim Dwight?
Jay Berwanger?
Murry Weir
Alex Karras
Bobby Jeter
Willie Fleming
Forrest Evashevski
Don Nelson

As much as it pains me to write this, I throw Iowa State's Gary Thompson in for consideration. Consensus 2nd team all-American in basketball, 1st team AP, Big 7 player of the year. beating out Wilt Chamberlain. Also, played in the 1957 college World Series as a shortstop. After turning down the NBA, he went on to play on the Phillips 66ers' in the AAU back when it was a thing. Led them to an AAU title in 1962. I present to you; "The Roland Rocket."
Phog Allen said that inch-for-inch, Thompson was the best player he'd ever seen. He was first-team AA in two sports. Had a strong career in AAU ball as player and coach, and was a damned good color commentator for college hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT