ADVERTISEMENT

Musical Student Athletes?? WTF??

Is Al Right? Should marching band members be considered student athletes?

• Yes

• No

• No, but let's humor this fatty who needed gastic bypass to get rid of his gut.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ghost80

HR Heisman
Feb 24, 2009
Yesterday I started watching the Rose Bowl Parade with the Mrs. Stopped watching and headed for the gym after Al Roker referred to the FSU marching band as "Musical Student Athletes".

WTF?? First time I've heard that!

No but I could understand if some southern schools made that claim

kIv8mTu.gif

If golfers are athletes, marching tuba players are too.

As much as I think it's stupid to consider the band "athletes" I have to say this isn't easy to argue with. Marching around with a Tuba is much more physically draining then golf or bowling (My alma mater actually has an NCAA sanctioned bowling team.) The best argument I have is that Marching bands might have like one competition a year and most of the time they are just performing for an audience. So maybe they are athletes for like one day when they are competing.

I say this as someone who would have to play a 1st half of football, then march with the band, then play a 2nd half of football. No, they are not athletes.

And I loved being in the marching and jazz bands in HS.

Reactions: ghost80
As much as I think it's stupid to consider the band "athletes" I have to say this isn't easy to argue with. Marching around with a Tuba is much more physically draining then golf or bowling (My alma mater actually has an NCAA sanctioned bowling team.) The best argument I have is that Marching bands might have like one competition a year and most of the time they are just performing for an audience. So maybe they are athletes for like one day when they are competing.
I don’t know much about band culture, but I once saw a movie where band nerds went to competitions and had lots of sex, so I’ll assume they are athletic.

I don’t know much about band culture, but I once saw a movie where band nerds went to competitions and had lots of sex, so I’ll assume they are athletic.

I can't say I know band culture either, although I did know plenty of people in band in high school. I do know they have competitions, but the majority of their work is just performing for an audience.

That said from what I do know I really doubt they where having lots of sex.

Absolutely. Women's athletics will be the biggest opponent to this though. Same reason cheerleaders are not considered athletes by the NCAA.

My son did marching bad for two years and they practice many times more hours than any sport team. They started the last week in July and went 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks. Then when school started they practiced at 6:30 in the morning 4 days a week. They did conditioning and were on their feet the large majority of the time. They have to learn routines that take coordination and stamina. They had 8 competitions a year. I would put the "marching band" in the sport category. Would not put the "regular band" in that category.

My son did marching bad for two years and they practice many times more hours than any sport team. They started the last week in July and went 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks. Then when school started they practiced at 6:30 in the morning 4 days a week. They did conditioning and were on their feet the large majority of the time. They have to learn routines that take coordination and stamina. They had 8 competitions a year. I would put the "marching band" in the sport category. Would not put the "regular band" in that category.
With all due respect, all of the grueling band practices in the world do not any more make band a "sport" than do long days roofing or laying sod make those activities a sport.

Why don’t women want cheerleaders to be called athletes?
Because under title nine they would count against the balance of male vs female scholarships. Cheerleader are and have traditionaly been female. If this were to happen it would mean another sport for men could likely be maintained.

I get it a little. I could see many schools simply loading up their cheerleading squads and having them cheer for the men playing everything else. Especially when title nine first became the law of the land.

Reactions: naturalmwa

I did the same thing in HS. Still not a sport.

Absolutely. Women's athletics will be the biggest opponent to this though. Same reason cheerleaders are not considered athletes by the NCAA.

Cheerleaders and dance team members are MUCH more athletes than band members. The only exception I might make for band is the dancers/flags. Even those require less "athleticism" than the actual dance team.

Cheerleaders and dance team members are MUCH more athletes than band members. The only exception I might make for band is the dancers/flags. Even those require less "athleticism" than the actual dance team.

Is baseball a sport?

This isn’t up to the NCAA, it’s up to the individual schools on whether or not they consider cheerleaders athletes. At Iowa, they do not, but places like Kentucky, UCF, etc., they are full ride scholarship athletes. They usually have 8-12 girls and 8-12 guys so it doesn’t impact the balance of scholarships.

This isn’t up to the NCAA, it’s up to the individual schools on whether or not they consider cheerleaders athletes. At Iowa, they do not, but places like Kentucky, UCF, etc., they are full ride scholarship athletes. They usually have 8-12 girls and 8-12 guys so it doesn’t impact the balance of scholarships.

The NCAA doesn't recognize cheerleading as a sport and does not govern or recognize it. The scholarships don't count one way or another when it comes to title nine

What arguments would you present for the conclusion that baseball is not a sport?

I do think it is a sport but have heard the argument before that some don't.

It seems whenever this type of argument is presented it is almost always related to a comparison to football.

Are you trying to be difficult, or is it really this hard for you?

No. These arguments have been used before. You are just applying them to marching band now.

Not sure why people would care if marching band is considered a sport.

The schools that offer cheerleading scholarships do so in a manner similar to academic or activity scholarships (such as band, science, a particular major, etc). Balance won't throw anything off (Title IX requirements) because it's not recognized by the NCAA as a sport.

The NCAA doesn't recognize cheerleading as a sport and does not govern or recognize it. The scholarships don't count one way or another when it comes to title nine
Yes they do. The scholarships have no impact because they always have the same amount of guys and girls. A representative of the NCAA hands out a trophy every January at WDW to the winner of the national championship.

No. These arguments have been used before. You are just applying them to marching band now.

Not sure why people would care if marching band is considered a sport.
Someone made the claim that marching band is a sport. That claim is being discussed. I do not consider marching band to be a sport any more than ballet or some other physically demanding form of art.

Someone made the claim that marching band is a sport. That claim is being discussed. I do not consider marching band to be a sport any more than ballet or some other physically demanding form of art.

I've never heard of a "Battle of the Ballerinas"...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT