ADVERTISEMENT

Musical Student Athletes?? WTF??

Is Al Right? Should marching band members be considered student athletes?

• Yes

• No

• No, but let's humor this fatty who needed gastic bypass to get rid of his gut.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Someone made the claim that marching band is a sport. That claim is being discussed. I do not consider marching band to be a sport any more than ballet or some other physically demanding form of art.

How about martial arts. Is that a sport?

Gymnastics?

Yes they do. The scholarships have no impact because they always have the same amount of guys and girls. A representative of the NCAA hands out a trophy every January at WDW to the winner of the national championship.

Sorry but the NCAA doesn't recognize it at this point.

They should but they don't. And do you think it is right that men are equally represented on a cheer team considering the number of girls that are in cheer in high school?

Yes they do. The scholarships have no impact because they always have the same amount of guys and girls. A representative of the NCAA hands out a trophy every January at WDW to the winner of the national championship.

Sorry but the NCAA doesn't recognize it at this point.

They should but they don't. And do you think it is right that men are equally represented on a cheer team considering the number of girls that are in cheer in high school?
Never mind. Just texted my friend who is in charge of putting on the competition every year at Disney and the NCAA recognizes the national title but still doesn’t as an official sport.

Yeah, Im fine with men being equally represented. They have an all-girls competition for schools with no male cheerleaders. I used to be a media rep for the competition at Disney and the schools down south treat cheerleading completely different than we do in the midwest.

I will reply to a couple different things here...

1. As usual Hoosier doesn’t know what he is taking about. If you are in a competition oriented band a vast majority of your performances are in competition and not an exhibition for an audience. My sons performed about 20 times last season and 16 of them were in competition.

2. The band world SSGT is referencing is not the competition band world of today. Very few kids are playing in the band and playing a fall sport due to the time commitment and demands of both activities. With that said I agree that it is not a sport.

3. I marched in high school and college and played a varsity sport in HS. My kids are in band now and have played sports. I absolutely believe that marching band is as demanding physically and skill-wise as a number of other sports. Golf, tennis, bowling, are sports that demand a similar level of athleticism and skill. Dance and cheerleading could be lumped in as well. Of course, you will always have outliers where non-athletic people participate in both band and those sports. With all of that said, band is not a sport.

I know a number of HS athletes in traditional sports (football, basketball, baseball, soccer etc) that could not be successful in band and clearly the same can be said for band kids. I’m very happy with the experiences I had in band and the experiences my kids are having currently. But the band as sport thing is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghost80
Yes because dudes playing the flute are such bad ass warriors.

The instrument we recognise as a 'fife', a short, shrill flute with six or more fingerholes, had appeared by the end of the 16th century. German mercenary troops and others made it the traditional signalling and ceremonial instrument, so that massed bands of fife and drum became an emblem of the American War of Independence, among other struggles

Reactions: The Tradition
The instrument we recognise as a 'fife', a short, shrill flute with six or more fingerholes, had appeared by the end of the 16th century. German mercenary troops and others made it the traditional signalling and ceremonial instrument, so that massed bands of fife and drum became an emblem of the American War of Independence, among other struggles

giphy.gif

As a former member of a collegiate marching band I vote no. It's nice to get recognized for the work we put in but I was just mainly there to get drunk, support the football team and be a part of the gameday experience.

Maybe at a white pastey kid college, but the HBCU bands are ATHLETIC!

2019 band flute player = 16th century or American revolutionary warrior. Inserttaylorswiftthumbsup.gif.

Cheerleaders and dance team members are MUCH more athletes than band members. The only exception I might make for band is the dancers/flags. Even those require less "athleticism" than the actual dance team.

I actually agree with you in principle, but they do give letters in golf and bowling and skeet and kids get scholarships for playing video games really well or designing robots. Playing an instrument well is certainly a skill too.

Everyone gets a letter!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT