ADVERTISEMENT

My favorite part about that moving screen

The more I watch it and the more I hear from people AT the game.......I'm inclined to not give a single flying FU** about anyone that has a problem with the call.

When I hear people say it's the right call, I lose ALL sympathy for anyone crying about the "moment" of the call.................

Sorry not sorry. Deal with it.

Sooooooooooo, there are those that would prefer a team possibly losing a game to a no-call on a foul, that would be called any other time during the game and not really bitch about it. While the other team gets jobbed with a last second game winner that never should have been allowed.

Sounds about right in todays world.

Sooooooooooo, there are those that would prefer a team possibly losing a game to a no-call on a foul, that would be called any other time during the game and not really bitch about it. While the other team gets jobbed with a last second game winner that never should have been allowed.

Sounds about right in todays world.
Funny how it is always supposed to favor the offense on the no call. Of calls can't be made in the final seconds of the game just go and give Paige a bear hug. No foul. Now that I say that isn't that exactly what happened to Caitlin all game off the ball? Especially in the final minute when we turned the ball over twice.

Uconn on the inbounds literally surrounded our players with their arms out to keep then from moving. Caitlin was held.

Sometimes, a foul being called, or not called, is simply the ref being in the right position to see it clearly. SOMETIMES! Lately the refs have been swallowing the whistle a lot more than they have in the past. IMHO.

Reactions: CaboKP
The more I watch it and the more I hear from people AT the game.......I'm inclined to not give a single flying FU** about anyone that has a problem with the call.

When I hear people say it's the right call, I lose ALL sympathy for anyone crying about the "moment" of the call.................

The people who say it shouldn’t be called then just wanted to see a buzzer beater. That’s all. They’ll live.

ESPN also had THREE former UConn players providing the commentary on espn2. You'd be shocked to know they thought it was a ridiculous call.
For the most part I like Sue and Diana. Breanna can eat butt. Either way, of course SVP is not going to get an unbiased opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
What if...

Iowa gets called for the VERY same play. Do Hawk fans change their tune.

Seems like it was a "good call" because it favored Iowa
What if...

The illegal screen isn't called, Paige gets the shot off with some contact on the arm and misses.

Should be no whistle, right? Let the players, not the refs decide the game, right?

What if...

Ding ding ding! It's amazing how non self-aware most Iowa fans are. 99% of this board would absolutely be freaking out if that were called against Iowa. It would be funny to go back and look at the comments after the Courtney Green call at Rutgers (I know, I know, that was clearly a bad call though and last night was an obvious foul that gets called 100% of the time /s).

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Ding ding ding! It's amazing how non self-aware most Iowa fans are. 99% of this board would absolutely be freaking out if that were called against Iowa. It would be funny to go back and look at the comments after the Courtney Green call at Rutgers (I know, I know, that was clearly a bad call though and last night was an obvious foul that gets called 100% of the time /s).
Maybe so, but all you had do was mention Courtney Green and something in the room smelled rotten.

Reactions: pocha444444
What if...

The illegal screen isn't called, Paige gets the shot off with some contact on the arm and misses.

Should be no whistle, right? Let the players, not the refs decide the game, right?
After some time had passed and my anger over losing went away I would acknowledge that it was a good call. Then I would quickly start talking about how Iowa was being held all night on offense and they didn't call anything.

Iowa never gets that call against UConn in that situation, even though I strongly feel it’s a foul.
Iowa, with Caitlin Clark on its team, gets that call.
If ESPN is so upset with that, then they need to make sure they call out people like Lebron, Steph Curry, and their teams, getting calls because they are superstars.
Feels good to be on the other side of it for once!!!

There was no subjectiveness to this particular play, and that is why you make the call, regardless of circumstance.

Now, if it had been a little more 'feathered', similar to the subjectiveness we see on charge calls alot of time, I would see the issue through more of a 50/50 lense.

It was not, it was blatant as day, so we move on.

ESPN also had THREE former UConn players providing the commentary on espn2. You'd be shocked to know they thought it was a ridiculous call.
I enjoyed Bird, Taurisi, and Stewart. They questioned the call, but did not throw tantrums like BVP. Taurisi criticized Gino not in-bounding to Paige saying "too many things can happen." After the call she said "see, too many things can happened." Within seconds after the game ended, all three women stated the two best teams are in the finals. Repeatedly during the telecast they said they thought SC would rather face UConn in the finals. None of the women seemed to like Gino.

I would never think I would see the day when IOWA WBB would get the game was rigged treatment from ESPN and the Twitter crazies.
oh-yeah-friends.gif

Here's the thing: the rules are the same for all 40 minutes. I thought the refs swallowed their whistles for much of the late going, so I'm still shocked that the call was made. But anyone who says you can't call that in that moment is just stupid or making excuses. Moving screens have been a point of emphasis this season, so why let an egregious breach of the rules go at that moment when the game could have been decided? That's ridiculous. Don't be guilty of a classic moving screen, and MAYBE you get a shot off, and MAYBE it goes in.

Would it have been more fair to let UConn get away with an obvious moving screen and score the winning basket as a result? (It's a rhetorical question. :)

No, we would be mad at the Iowa player for fouling.
Seems like it was a good call because it was the right call, the obvious call. You don't wanna lose the game like that, play by the rules. How about that? :) The evidence is clear . . . or maybe you believe Jan. 6 in DC was a bunch of people taking a tour of the Capitol. LOL

Reactions: onionman1
Seems like it was a good call because it was the right call, the obvious call. You don't wanna lose the game like that, play by the rules. How about that? :) The evidence is clear . . . or maybe you believe Jan. 6 in DC was a bunch of people taking a tour of the Capitol. LOL
Inside job. Vivek said so.

When the emotion wears off, fans will see it was a clear foul. Neutral fans just wanted to see the that moment play out, but it was clearly a foul. SVP and ESPN were ridiculous last night
Definitely was a foul - clear contact while moving on the screen. It was only unfortunate for UConn that their girl had to MAKE that contact at that point in the game, right by an official, who was OBLIGATED to make the call. I see it as the reverse of some of the "talking heads" - if the official had decided to not call a foul there, he would have potentially robbed Iowa of a win. Nobody talks about any of the other calls/no-calls throughout the game that had the same impact on the score. This foul's impact was only magnified due to the time left and the situation. I've seen many moving screen foul calls that weren't anywhere near as much of a foul as that one was.

What if...

I’ve seen 20 plus people say, it was a clear foul and we’d be pissed if it happened to us….

Both things can be true….

As another mentioned she did it ALL game, the ref was clearly watching it and she didn’t disappoint…

She took an extreme jump step to get to her, she was still moving and her plant foot up, leaned into and raised elbow forcefully…

3 foot in Front of the official…

Honestly it was kind of stupid and maybe just a dumb play call considering Geno knew they were watching it ….🤷‍♂️

They’d called them 3 times before out of the 10 more they could have called.

This thread is titled "My Favorite Part...". Let me talk about my least favorite part. The TV people like Scott Van Pelt complaining about the call are being totally disrespectful to Gabbie. Gabbie busted her ass the whole game. Many players would have been gassed at the end of the game, and probably would have been a 1/2 step slow on that cover. Not Gabbie. She was right on Bueckers' hip and she forced Edwards into that foul.

Van Pelt argued that players should decide the end of the game. Why does this have to be limited to the offensive player? If the ref would have swallowed the whistle, as idiots like Van Pelt wanted, then Gabbie's efforts on that play and throughout the game might have been for nothing.

Iowa fans are good at showing up with creative T-shirts. On Sunday, I would like to see one black and gold shirt that simply says GFY SVP (maybe with a cute eyes graphic underneath).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT