ADVERTISEMENT

My favorite part about that moving screen

There was no subjectiveness to this particular play, and that is why you make the call, regardless of circumstance.

Now, if it had been a little more 'feathered', similar to the subjectiveness we see on charge calls alot of time, I would see the issue through more of a 50/50 lense.

It was not, it was blatant as day, so we move on.
This. If Edwards had just had her feet somewhat more than shoulder-width apart, or stuck her hip or elbow out a bit, I doubt the ref would have made the call. However, she flat out lunged to block Gabby's path, and then stuck her elbow out on top of that. If a ref is standing right there and sees that, they have to call it.

If the teams were reversed and Stuelke had done that, we would have been super pissed last night, but this morning we'd just be bummed and wishing Hannah hadn't made the illegal screen so obvious.

Not sure what the fuss is about, if you watch it in super slow-mo it is clearly a foul...

basketball-will-ferrel.gif

Funny how it is always supposed to favor the offense on the no call. Of calls can't be made in the final seconds of the game just go and give Paige a bear hug. No foul. Now that I say that isn't that exactly what happened to Caitlin all game off the ball? Especially in the final minute when we turned the ball over twice.

Uconn on the inbounds literally surrounded our players with their arms out to keep then from moving. Caitlin was held.
I will admit that I don’t understand the finer points of how the women’s game is called. I think overall the calls were pretty even, and geno is a much better coach than I had dreamed. I was thinking he recruited the best players who just outclassed the competition, but his strategic acumen is more than quite impressive.

What if...

Iowa gets called for the VERY same play. Do Hawk fans change their tune.

Seems like it was a "good call" because it favored Iowa
I would be pissed at our player for setting such an obvious moving screen in a crucial situation.

But then again I’m not part of a little bro fan base whose whole identity centers around getting screwed by refs & conference officials. Bunch of whiney little b!tches.

Ok, so I've been doing some recon on UConn, their board that is. Hazardous yes, but I wore my helmet.

Turns out Edwards is well known for setting bad screens. One poster said she's been doing it all year, another said her entire career! A recidivist offender! This is what torqued Geno so much, imo.

Ok, so I've been doing some recon on UConn, their board that is. Hazardous yes, but I wore my helmet.

Turns out Edwards is well known for setting bad screens. One poster said she's been doing it all year, another said her entire career! A recidivist offender! This is what torqued Geno so much, imo.
Nah, can read his lips after it and sure looked to me he says something to the effect of “you can’t make that f’n call”

This was called multiple Times. Probably shouldn’t act like a pulling guard when it’s been called by the officials. Also everyone crying is ignoring the and 1 taken away from Iowa and the weak foul call in the Iowa rebound/ stop that gave Uconn the ball back and they scored. I’ll trade those 5 pts for them getting a shot off here down 6.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Nah, can read his lips after it and sure looked to me he says something to the effect of “you can’t make that f’n call”
Hmmm ... maybe you're right but it would have seemed he would have gone after the refs then. Otoh, he may have realized the futility.

It is still interesting to hear Edwards' rep discussed by her own fans. Ended up biting her and UConn in the butt.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Hmmm ... maybe you're right but it would have seemed he would have gone after the refs then. Otoh, he may have realized the futility.

It is still interesting to hear Edwards' rep discussed by her own fans. Ended up biting her and UConn in the butt.
I could be wrong but it appeared that’s what he said. I dont think he’s probably that demonstrative about his own player making that mistake but again could be wrong. And as others have pointed out, that screen was as much on bueckers as edwards. And even him as the coach! If she’s known to set illegal screens you better make it a damn point as the coach that she’d better be set for it!

I could be wrong but it appeared that’s what he said. I dont think he’s probably that demonstrative about his own player making that mistake but again could be wrong. And as others have pointed out, that screen was as much on bueckers as edwards. And even him as the coach! If she’s known to set illegal screens you better make it a damn point as the coach that she’d better be set for it!
Ok, to spitball this even further ... could it be both? He's upset that it was called AND frustrated as hell at his own player? Maybe that internal conflict is what evoked a pretty bizarre reaction - bent over and just seemingly stewing to himself?

Anyway, with some therapy he should be fine.

• Love
Reactions: Slim45
Lost in all the uproar was the fact that Hannah was actually in pretty damn good position to contest that shot had Beuckers looked for the 3.

My guess is though, that UConn was actually hoping for a delayed roll and Beuckers looking to feed Edwards inside.

Otherwise, to be honest, I don't know why exactly Paige would've been looking for the 3 there only down 1 with time on the clock..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT