ADVERTISEMENT

My impressions

Elihawk

HR Legend
Oct 5, 2001
Not that different than others, but here goes

The good.
D was solid, alittle scary the lack of bodies we have at CB right now, but solid everywhere else. Liked the play of Hesse, and the Nelson brothers. JJ, if heathly, will have a monster year. Very solid LB core! Raider package of A Nelson, Mends and Bower. I agree with the assertions of others that LB are very good and that Ojemudia will be a good one! Snyder will be good, give him a few games to get the game slowed down.
I liked our RBs today. Wadley, for sure, but Daniels, Jolly and Graham all showed some stuff.
LB depth- like what I saw from Mends, Hockaday and Garbutt!
Except for a major struggle at OC, the OL looked better than last spring- keep in mind Welsh, Daniels and Render all out today. Like a lot of our young OL man. Really like Waecther...very good footwork!
TE, well, we Kittle looked great. Who is #2? Candidates amongst Pekar (spring game flash), Wisneski and no shows Outsey and Vejvoda (I didn't see either play, but perhaps they did)
Young guys who impressed me- Wisenski had a few moments, A Nelson showed a really nice quick first step, Boyle for only having been at WR for a few days and Waecther, still not ready to play, but improved and showing good feet. Mends, Hockaday and Garbutt all look quick and fast. Wilson isn't quite physical enough yet, but he flies to the ball.

THe Bad
QB play, without CJ and only backup centers, wasn't consistent today. Weiger can make all the throw, and decisions will come with time. The first Int he threw, well, bad snap led to the ball being on the ground and he tried to just throw the ball out of bounds, but the wind held it up for int/pix six. Cook is a very good athlete and can make some hay with his feet.
OC...need to get bodies back!
Wrs...same ole same ole. We just didn't look great at WR. Flashes from Scheel, Ogwo, AND Boyle (love this move). We will need consistency from Smith and at least one other guy.
CB depth, but lots of bodies coming in the fall at a position where young guys can play. Need a #2 TE
Kicking- cant say much after today, windy and hard to evaluate our punters for sure. Still a question mark.
Was hoping to see more from Harris (DE), Reif, DE and Slater, DT- maybe they played some at the end, but I came away with no impressions.

The Ugly...
Well, other than seeing 6 potential starters (CJ, Daniels, Welsh, Nieman, Mabin) not in Uniform, what Guly could you come away with on a beautiful day in Kinnick!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News