ADVERTISEMENT

My recommended starting lineup/rotation

Don't see how Nunge can start. He gets in foul trouble and we don't have a legitimate backup for Garza. I think JBO would benefit from coming off the bench. Play against backups and play with energy by not playing as many minutes

Toussaint belongs as a starting point guard which
allows Bohannon to become the shooting guard.
Wieskamp, Nunge, and Garza complete the starting
five. I would love to this happen as soon as possible.

I like it. I'm fine with either Keegan or Nunge at the 4 to start the game. Keegan can also spell for Nunge and JW or vice versa.

The current lineup has hit their ceiling. If they want to improve they need to add more athleticism. That means JT at the point -- if CJ isn't able to return, KM in his spot. If CJ returns, KM stays in and CM goes to the bench. Keep bring JN off the bench along with JB and PM and give more time to TP or AU. Moving forward the best lineup: JT, JW, CJ, KM and LG with JB, JN, CM, PM and TP or AU coming off the bench.

Don't see how Nunge can start. He gets in foul trouble and we don't have a legitimate backup for Garza. I think JBO would benefit from coming off the bench. Play against backups and play with energy by not playing as many minutes

Jack should start because our current starters are getting crushed before the 2nd unit comes in.

Jack should start because our current starters are getting crushed before the 2nd unit comes in.
I don’t think nunge starting helps that. Guard play is where we need to change it up, keep starting keegan at the 4. Move jbo to the 2, esp w/ cj still hurt, start joeT at pg. Connor to the bench playing 15-20mpg. Like other poster said, gotta keep nunge outta foul trouble in case garza does. And perkins needs 10mpg. I think when jbo is in 1 of either joeT or perkins has to be in to somewat hide jbo on d.

I don’t think nunge starting helps that. Guard play is where we need to change it up, keep starting keegan at the 4. Move jbo to the 2, esp w/ cj still hurt, start joeT at pg. Connor to the bench playing 15-20mpg. Like other poster said, gotta keep nunge outta foul trouble in case garza does. And perkins needs 10mpg. I think when jbo is in 1 of either joeT or perkins has to be in to somewat hide jbo on d.

Ulis and Perkins need 10 mpg. JT needs 10+ minutes per game. Jordan 20 minutes per game.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
With no Fredrick I'd like to see...

Toussaint
Bohannon
Weiskamp
Murray
Garza

Ulis
Perkins
Pmac
Nunge

Cmac only when necessary, and Bohannon no more than 20 mins unless he's going off.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
It would never happen but:
1. Toussaint
2. Bohannon (Fredrick once healthy)
3. P. McCaffery
4. Wieskamp
5. Garza

Off the bench
1. Bohannon (Ulis until Fredrick gets healthy)
2. Perkins
3. Keegan
4. Connor
5. Nunge

Both lineups have a healthy mix of athleticism, defensive ability, rebounding, and shooting

Any lineup that has Nunge at the 4 will be bad defensively.

Hes a 5 and I think he deserves more time there.

Fran needs to spell Luka more often.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I like it. I'm fine with either Keegan or Nunge at the 4 to start the game. Keegan can also spell for Nunge and JW or vice versa.

Agree. I'm on board with OP's lineup with that one exception, I'd go:

1 - JT
2 - JB
3 - JW
4 - KM
5 - LG

I'd also start a healthy CJF at the 2 in place of JB.

I think you are spot on except I can wrap my head around anyone thinking Connor should get 15-20 mpg. 5 is too many considering who he is playing ahead of.

No CJF and our free throws are what have been killing us lately. Yes, defense is a major issue, but I don't think that will change much.

IHMO what would definitely help improve defense, and overall play, is Fran limiting minutes. Garza, JW and JBo all had over 36.minutes. CMac had 27. Nobody but Garza should have more than 30 minutes. Maybe JW & CJF at 30 is ok if playing well. Not JBo unless he is money. Otherwise keep him in the mid 20s. Same for CMac, or lower.

Minutes are much more important to me than starters. But if CJF is out, Joe T needs to start. More minutes to Ulis. Pressure does not seem to bother him. Let's see him develop.... Perkins needs more minutes for his defense. Probably more even with CJF in the lineup.

Starters:
Toussaint
Bohannon
Weiskamp
CMac
Garza

Minutes with CJF Minutes w/o CJF
Luka 31
Joe W 27
CJF 25
JBo 24
CMac 21
Nunge 18
Keegan 17
Pmac 12
Joe T 11
Perkins 7
Ulis 5
Luka 34
Joe W 30
JBo 25
CMac 23
Keegan 20
Nunge 20
Joe T 15
Ulis 12
Pmac 10
Perkins 10

I would like to see the minutes increase for the yutes. More minutes every game, consistently.... Definitely more in the first half. Then if someone is hot, play them earlier in the 2nd half.

Especially want to see the newer guys when our defense is sagging. First sign someone slips mentally - Recieve The Wrath of Fran. Second, bench. Coaching up by Speraw from the sidelines.

Yes, That is a big rotation. Normally I wouldn't want it. BUT the youngins are a Hungry bunch!! More than we ever have had. And talented... Play'em!!

CMac is not getting to much love here. He has been in the top 3 in assist-to-turnover ratio in the Country the last 2 years. That type of player needs to be on the floor.

Side note, Kris Murray deserves to play. He is good. I cannot wait to see him with real minutes. Hope he takes the 5th year(if he can with the covid rule), as we will want his minutes in the future!

Garza: 35
Weezy: 30
Keegan: 24
JoBo: 20
Nunge: 18
CJF: 16 (We need to keep him healthy)
Toussaint: 16
CMac: 12
PMac: 10
Perkins: 10
Ulis: 8

Other key is WE MUST MIX OFFENSE/DEFENSE LINEUPS! Even for short stretches.

e.g.
Perkins + JoBo
Ulis + JoBo
Ulis + CJF
JT + JoBo

The rotations are the key. I would REALLY like to see more of a mix with the newer guys and the experienced players. Consistency playing with each other is the key there.

I like your combos of players. Hopefully Fran is working on something in practice. These wholescale hockey lineup changes are not the answer for us, IMHO. Mix in the youth with the experienced players.

Fran would and should tell me to GTFO, but here goes. Assumes no CJ.

1- JT
2-JB
3-JW
4-JN
5-LG

Next men in
1-Ulis
2-Perkins
3-Keegan
4-Connor/Patrick
5-Garza/Nunge switch off for breaks
[/QUOTE

I think my only change would be Patrick before Connor....and to be honest Connor would play garbage time and in extreme situations where there is foul trouble or injuries. He really isn't a good basketball player.....I heard baseball is his strength!

CMac is not getting to much love here. He has been in the top 3 in assist-to-turnover ratio in the Country the last 2 years. That type of player needs to be on the floor.

[/QUOTE]
The only reason he gets assists is because he has 3 super shooters and the NCAA mvp. Put him on the 2nd team and he will not be getting assists. He is terrible at defense, rebounding, shooting, or knowing when to not try taking over the game. The stats don't lie. 3-0 when minutes are limited. 0-4 when he plays a lot.

Unfortunately, while I love his high IQ and toughness, he is a complimentary player who does not do enough things well. He is too slow to play PG, but not big enough to really play the 4. Additionally, he is not a scorer AND not a good defender. I actually think his value would be magnified with more athleticism around him. The challenge is, we have to have some scoring around him as well. A quandary.

An example might be:

Garza
CMac
Perkinis
Joe T.
Weezy

OR

Garza
CMac
Ulis
Joe T.
JoBo

Unfortunately, while I love his high IQ and toughness, he is a complimentary player who does not do enough things well. He is too slow to play PG, but not big enough to really play the 4. Additionally, he is not a scorer AND not a good defender. I actually think his value would be magnified with more athleticism around him. The challenge is, we have to have some scoring around him as well. A quandary.

An example might be:

Garza
CMac
Perkinis
Joe T.
Weezy

OR

Garza
CMac
Ulis
Joe T.
JoBo
Or instead of struggling to find a lineup that would work with him, we could just play the 10 guys who are clearly better than him.
I haven't seen anyone answer this yet. Where do you think he would get picked if there was a school yard draft with the other B1G coaches? I say he wouldn't be picked top 9.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Or instead of struggling to find a lineup that would work with him, we could just play the 10 guys who are clearly better than him.
I haven't seen anyone answer this yet. Where do you think he would get picked if there was a school yard draft with the other B1G coaches? I say he wouldn't be picked top 9.

Yes, completely agree with you. I am just being realistic, he is going to play SOME minutes no matter what.
So how can we make those minutes as effective as possible for the team.

Another example would be JoBo, I believe he would be most valuable coming off the bench as a spot up shooter, or occasional point guard. Still play decent minutes, say 20ish, but let Ulis or JT be the creators at point and provide that ball hawk defense.

This is all fun and all but does anyone really see Connor dropping out of the starting lineup or getting less than 20-25 minutes per game? I think that's a bit of a pipe dream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT