ADVERTISEMENT

My suggestions for the offense, from a know-nothing fan

Black&Gold12

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
Yes I know I’m just a random Iowa fan on my couch but here are some thoughts and suggestions for the offense right now. At least the top things I can see, in no particular order.

1. Stop taking the ball first on offense. - I don’t care what the stupid tradition is. Every years team is different and this offense has not earned the right for ball first with all the slow starts and 3 and outs, etc. Just stop please.

2. Pick a starting 5 for the O-line and stick with it. Make a decision on whoever gives us the best chance to succeed and give them the most reps and build what continuity we can.

3. Brian Ferentz has got to coach like he’s not the coach’s son - Stop with the lazy, timid, predictable calls in critical moments. Coach and prepare each game like there’s a actual, unique game plan for the defense you’re going up against. It’s been hard to tell what the actual plan is lately. Be open to adjustments sooner when need be. Coach with urgency, like job security isn’t a given for you… even though it kinda has been up to this point.

4. Petras - Yes the Oline has struggled but he still misses way too many make-able throws/plays for a guy with the experience he has now. As everyone knows he not very athletic but his pocket presence still has not improved. Even just the little things like stepping up a few steps before throwing just to help the oline out a little, he still isn’t comfortable doing. I’d say keep starting him if he’s the best we’ve got but if any of backups are even remotely ready, they need to be given a real chance if his struggles continue.

5. Start K. Johnson/move IKM to 4th on the depth chart - KJ has shown himself to be a consistent playmaker. Give him as many snaps as possible. IKM is a good young man, teammate and has some talent but it’s clear that mentally he just hasn’t gotten it together with the fumbling. Keep him on special teams though.

These are just some thoughts for in season adjustments right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News