ADVERTISEMENT

Name a cooler dude than Cary Grant?

Mick Jagger hanging at a random bar with no one noticing him.

HZLDKKSUYRD57OHVAJE6ESEAV4.jpg

This dude would kick everyone's ass mention so far and would look good doing it.

TELEMMGLPICT000227073922_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpQ0vMMZu_p35I0xEFXLC8fCd675Hc5n-_Ka2mNQYZOw.jpeg
I have watched three Sterling Hayden noir films in the last two weeks. He was not on the same level when it came to acting, but he was an amazing dude. He served behind German lines as an OSS officer in WW2. Again, not as good of an actor, but when used right he filled up a screen.

Reactions: Urohawk
I watched the 1963 movie Charade tonight. It’s a very good movie with suspense, comedy, and a great cast revolving around Grant, Audrey Hepburn, George Kennedy, James Coburn, and Walter Matthau. The plot line follows some veterans seeking looted OSS funds from the war.
Kennedy, who was a combat veteran of WW2 and saw action during the Battle of the Bulge, was close friends with Jimmy Stewart. Stewart and Matthau flew from the same base in WW2. Stewart as a pilot, and Matthau as a gunner on B-24s. CSB.

People Magazine wrote (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Grant died in the unglamorous burg known as Davenport. That criticism stuck with those from the Dirty D for many years.

QC Times headline: “A Legend Dies in Our Arms”.

Beautiful!

I've been on a tear watching Grant's films lately. I watched The Awful Truth which paired Grant up with Irene Dunne and Ralph Bellamy, and Holiday which featured an electric combination of Grant and Katherine Hepburn.
The guy was suave as can be, witty... He lived the high life in the golden age of Hollywood.
I am willing to entertain suggestions as to who was a cooler dude.
And, CSB, he died in Davenport. I did not know that until I was doing some research on those movies. Grant was in his 80s and doing some one man shows, and while in Davenport he suffered a stroke. He refused treatment, and passed away several hours later. Many believe he'd grown despondent over the death of so many contemporaries in the previous years, and that is why he refused advanced care the day he suffered the stroke.

That Cary Grant what?

Davenport has a population of 100,000, it is not a burg.
Quad Cities has at least 250,000 folks. People magazine
is not a good source for solid news. Cary Grant was a
class act and will be remembered as a suave & debonair
gentleman.

Plenty of great "older" nominations. McQueen, Brando, Connery, Newman.

I don't think of Keanu Reeves as cool, but he and his story are pretty badass. His don't give an eff lifestyle is cool. But looks like a dork when he rides a motorcycle which is hard to do.

Clooney.

Patrick Dempsey, McDreamy AND a race car driver...and he has great hair.

Patrick-Dempsey-at-Le-Mans.jpg

People Magazine wrote (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Grant died in the unglamorous burg known as Davenport. That criticism stuck with those from the Dirty D for many years.
Davenport certainly has a lot of stains on it, I would not count this as one of them.

The newspaper, and I'm not sure which one but an Iowa one,, headlined "Cary Grant dies in our arms."

Eastwood, before he became a whacknut. The entire cast of the Navarone movies, Dirty Dozen, the cast of Coccoon (the old dudes and Jessica Tandy). Don Ameche had a Burmeister/Coralville connection.
I thought he had a Loras college connection.

Iowa’s own Marion Robert Morrison (better known as John Wayne).
Big John used our C-130 plane in The Green Beret. We spent 10 days with him and the crew at Ft Benning and Ft Bragg. The last night they took our crew to a steak house and spent an hour with us before we left. Good times, had by all. and still keep his autograph in my wallet.

Robert Mitchem.
I have been on a bit of a Mitchum tear recently.
I was watching a rather common film titled She Couldn't Say No on TCM a few months ago and it's one of those films where you kind of wonder about the talent arrayed for it. Mitchum, and the wonderful British actress Jean Simmons. Its just a goofy story about a high society type getting involved with a local doctor in some small town in Arkansas. As I read up on Simmons I got interested in Angel Face, another film she did with Mitchum. The short story is she was under contract with Howard Hughes, who was sexually harassing her. Rather than show up in court for a trial, Hughes agreed to let Simmons out of her contract if she did three films for him. Angel Face is widely regarded as one of the best noir films ever made. Stunningly it was thrown together in about three weeks. That was the beauty of the studio system. All of those people and facilities ready to go. Hughes hand picked the script from a pile, and ordered some modifications.
So, CSB, there is a scene in Angel Face where the Simmons character is being hysterical. Being a 1950s movie I assume Mitchell was going to slap her to calm her down, and sure enough, he did. The film was directed by Otto Preminger, who was well known to be a ruthless taskmaster on the set. Preminger ordered Mitchum and Simmons to do the scene over and over again, and Simmons was becoming very upset. After being ordered to do the scene one more time Mitchum turned and slapped Preminger across the face and said, "Is that what you're looking for, Otto"? Preminger stormed off the set and called Hughes, demanding that Mitchum be fired, or he'd quit. Hughes told him he wouldn't fire a star like Mitchum, and Preminger caved in.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
I have been on a bit of a Mitchum tear recently.
I was watching a rather common film titled She Couldn't Say No on TCM a few months ago and it's one of those films where you kind of wonder about the talent arrayed for it. Mitchum, and the wonderful British actress Jean Simmons. Its just a goofy story about a high society type getting involved with a local doctor in some small town in Arkansas. As I read up on Simmons I got interested in Angel Face, another film she did with Mitchum. The short story is she was under contract with Howard Hughes, who was sexually harassing her. Rather than show up in court for a trial, Hughes agreed to let Simmons out of her contract if she did three films for him. Angel Face is widely regarded as one of the best noir films ever made. Stunningly it was thrown together in about three weeks. That was the beauty of the studio system. All of those people and facilities ready to go. Hughes hand picked the script from a pile, and ordered some modifications.
So, CSB, there is a scene in Angel Face where the Simmons character is being hysterical. Being a 1950s movie I assume Mitchell was going to slap her to calm her down, and sure enough, he did. The film was directed by Otto Preminger, who was well known to be a ruthless taskmaster on the set. Preminger ordered Mitchum and Simmons to do the scene over and over again, and Simmons was becoming very upset. After being ordered to do the scene one more time Mitchum turned and slapped Preminger across the face and said, "Is that what you're looking for, Otto"? Preminger stormed off the set and called Hughes, demanding that Mitchum be fired, or he'd quit. Hughes told him he wouldn't fire a star like Mitchum, and Preminger caved in.
Preminger was a pure misogynistic horse's a$$. If you get the chance, watch the promos for his film, In Harm's Way, a WWII drama starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas among many others. Women were pieces of "Eye Candy" to him.

I guess it was probably just a sample of the American culture at that time, when America was supposedly great. Thank God the Libs won that culture war.

I've been on a tear watching Grant's films lately. I watched The Awful Truth which paired Grant up with Irene Dunne and Ralph Bellamy, and Holiday which featured an electric combination of Grant and Katherine Hepburn.
The guy was suave as can be, witty... He lived the high life in the golden age of Hollywood.
I am willing to entertain suggestions as to who was a cooler dude.
And, CSB, he died in Davenport. I did not know that until I was doing some research on those movies. Grant was in his 80s and doing some one man shows, and while in Davenport he suffered a stroke. He refused treatment, and passed away several hours later. Many believe he'd grown despondent over the death of so many contemporaries in the previous years, and that is why he refused advanced care the day he suffered the stroke.
Holiday is fantastic. that was my first Katharine Hepburn film and I think it’s seriously underrated.

Reactions: lucas80
An Iowa paper headlined "Cary Grant dies in our arms."

Larry Eustachy; knew how to make a lot of money, knew how to find college parties, knew how to throw em back.

Great actors are not one-offs or ones you have to search the ethers for. They are proven, have legacy and lasting power.

I watched An Affair To Remember last week, it's the 1958 movie that inspired Sleepless In Seattle. Grant is just so damn suave.
For those of you not engrossed in college hoops or HGTV tonight, The Awful Truth starring Grant and Irene Dunne comes on at 10:30.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT