ADVERTISEMENT

Name a player from a bygone era that would have been a good follow on social media

HawCory

HR Heisman
Dec 19, 2008
Not too far from corn
Who would have been entertaining, provided the hot takes, gotten themselves in trouble, etc.?

I'll start:

1. Ricky Henderson - just to see if he would have tweeted about himself in 3rd person
2. Lawrence Taylor - favorite player all time with the added bonus that you never know what a guy who routinely smokes crack with a bunch of hookers might put out there for everybody to see

charles-barkley-nba.gif

I read the
Who would have been entertaining, provided the hot takes, gotten themselves in trouble, etc.?

I'll start:

1. Ricky Henderson - just to see if he would have tweeted about himself in 3rd person
2. Lawrence Taylor - favorite player all time with the added bonus that you never know what a guy who routinely smokes crack with a bunch of hookers might put out there for everybody to see
title and immediately thought Rickey and Jim McMahon

Reactions: HawCory
Rube Waddell. If he heard a fire truck on days he didn't pitch he would leave the dugout and go chase them down. He also liked to wrestle alligators.

I'll start:

Baseball:
1. Reggie Jackson
2. Billy Martin (player and coach)
+1 for Rube Wadell.

Football:
1. Butkus
2. Ben Davidson

Basketball
1. Pete Maravich
+1 for Wilt

Hockey, unfortunately, has too much of a keep it quiet ethos.

Baseball:
1. Reggie Jackson
2. Billy Martin (player and coach)
+1 for Rube Wadell.

Football:
1. Butkus
2. Ben Davidson

Basketball
1. Pete Maravich
+1 for Wilt

Hockey, unfortunately, has too much of a keep it quiet ethos.
Mr. October would have been a runaway all star on Twitter back in the day.
Bill Russell would have spun some heads back in his day.
Namath would have been huge.

I'll start:

True story...back in the early 90's I was in the Oakland, CA, area on business with some co-workers. We all decided to attend an A's game one evening and Ricky was not only one of my fav players then, and of all time, he was the star of that team. He played LF in those days and for whatever reason our tickets were in the LF bleachers.

There was a dude there in the bleachers with us that night that was obviously a big Ricky fan and ALL GAME LONG he was heckling the opposing teams' LF. His most frequent chant was..."Ricky would have caught that ball..." every time the other LF was not able to catch the ball for an out. (Never mind that he did this even when the ball was grounded into the outfield and NO ONE would have been able to catch it, etc.)

The super fan was so annoying that it was almost comical. But his constant chatter was getting on the nerves of many of the fans in that area of the stands. "RICKY would have caught that ball...". But, back to Ricky...

Somewhere in the latter innings a routine fly ball was lifted towards Ricky in his LF position and he camped underneath it and then when it finally descended, he attempted to "snap it off" while making the catch...only his theatrics resulted in him dropping the ball. Egads! An unforced error by Ricky!

The super fan was in shock, his hero had biffed it while trying to look cool. But...being a smart aleck myself...I said out loud, in a playfully mocking tone, so plenty of people could hear it..."Ricky should have caught that ball.".

The super fan buried his face in his hands in mock embarrassment while those around us got quite the chuckle. out of that play on words. I was smiling myself...until I looked up to see that Ricky, the man himself, was staring daggers my way. Yikes! I don't think he knew which one of us said it, but he knew the area where the comment came from and he was not happy.

Sorry Ricky!! But yes, he was one of the first people that I thought of in answer to the OP question. Ricky, Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal would three right off the top IMO.

Dock Ellis

Him throwing a perfect game would be crazy by itself. Then once word starts to circulate he threw a perfect game while tripping balls on LSD? Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and HORT wouldn't know what to do with itself.

Agreed.

Todd Snider, one of my favorites, has a song about this exact event:

True story...back in the early 90's I was in the Oakland, CA, area on business with some co-workers. We all decided to attend an A's game one evening and Ricky was not only one of my fav players then, and of all time, he was the star of that team. He played LF in those days and for whatever reason our tickets were in the LF bleachers.

There was a dude there in the bleachers with us that night that was obviously a big Ricky fan and ALL GAME LONG he was heckling the opposing teams' LF. His most frequent chant was..."Ricky would have caught that ball..." every time the other LF was not able to catch the ball for an out. (Never mind that he did this even when the ball was grounded into the outfield and NO ONE would have been able to catch it, etc.)

The super fan was so annoying that it was almost comical. But his constant chatter was getting on the nerves of many of the fans in that area of the stands. "RICKY would have caught that ball...". But, back to Ricky...

Somewhere in the latter innings a routine fly ball was lifted towards Ricky in his LF position and he camped underneath it and then when it finally descended, he attempted to "snap it off" while making the catch...only his theatrics resulted in him dropping the ball. Egads! An unforced error by Ricky!

The super fan was in shock, his hero had biffed it while trying to look cool. But...being a smart aleck myself...I said out loud, in a playfully mocking tone, so plenty of people could hear it..."Ricky should have caught that ball.".

The super fan buried his face in his hands in mock embarrassment while those around us got quite the chuckle. out of that play on words. I was smiling myself...until I looked up to see that Ricky, the man himself, was staring daggers my way. Yikes! I don't think he knew which one of us said it, but he knew the area where the comment came from and he was not happy.

Sorry Ricky!! But yes, he was one of the first people that I thought of in answer to the OP question. Ricky, Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal would three right off the top IMO.
Make no mistake, Ricky was a pretty fierce competitor.

My uncle Charlie was outfield coach for the A's when they had Henderson-Murphy-Armas under Billy Martin. (Charlie had coached Martin in the minors, and Martin got him the one more year of on-field time he needed for his major league pension after years of scouting). That spring they came into Baltimore for a series, and we met Charlie at the hotel in the afternoon and then had seats on the A's batting circle that night in old memorial stadium. So as the game is about to start, these 3 Orioles fans who were sitting next to us were just giving Ricky unmitigated shit in the batting circle while he was warming up, and he was giving it back (since the game hadn't started and players could still interact with fans). "Hey Ricky, gonna steal first base?!!," etc. kind of stuff.

So Ricky comes to the plate, walks, steals second, steals third, then comes home on a shallow sac fly to left field. As he trotted to the dugout, he looked over to the circle and just winked at them.

Charlie, who was a fairly early data guy in his long career as a scout, said that based on Ricky's average first-to-second times, it was literally impossible for most pitcher-catcher combinations to throw him out.

I'll start:

Robin Ventura to discuss the art of fighting:

Robin Ventura to discuss the art of fighting:
At one point there was a brawl in Baltimore. late to the party was 6'9" Jeff Nelson, who one might think would be imposing, but happened to square off against a guy who had some wrestling in his background and promptly took him down. Nelson, who was a pretty funny guy, said to him, "You're not so tough. I've been taken down by guys a lot smaller than you."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT