ADVERTISEMENT

Name something you have in common with the opposite political party

I never saw myself as a Dem before Trump but I guess that makes me a commie nowadays.

But Dem immigration policies are basically non-existent. While Trump’s wall is an impractical idea, the Dems largely just choose to ignore the problem altogether.

Also, while I’m a pro-vaccine guy, I think the Covid vaccine mandates were a bit much. To me, it’s just natural selection in action (measles in Florida).
Don't think Ds ignore it. I simply think Rs want their way and Ds want theirs and nobody gives in so the issues remains. Been this way since the 80s on the border.

Reactions: BelemNole
I just listed several things though, can you not read? You must have attended public school..
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

I am a right-leaning Independent (former Republican) and I agree in marriage equality. In fact, I think we should just create civil union contracts for everyone (in the eyes of the government) and if you want to additionally go have a wedding ceremony in a church, back yard gazebo, etc., have at it.

I also support reasonable gun legislation reform as well as reasonable efforts towards a greener society. Climate change isn't a hoax.

As I have said before, the LGBTQ community deserves the right to be just as miserable as the rest of us married heterosexuals.

In post 52 I mentioned the things that I am the most passionate about. There is NO common ground for me on those. Not to mention, look how often those things are discussed on this board - daily. Weekly. A lot. When there are posts about investing, I don't argue. I don't argue in the Israel-Hamas discussions. When the border is discussed I am a both sides guy. Same as when the Middle East is discussed. Movies. I don't argue much on the football/basketball boards.

I will argue women's rights/education/MAGA idiocy as long as they are discussed.
I'm similar to you in that most topics discussed I don't have much to add. But there are a few topics that are very important to me. These are trans, covid, climate change, border. I might be your polar opposite on the issues I mentioned though.

Having said that, we still probably have more in common than we do differences. Even on the issues mentioned, I think we could find some common ground if we tried.

I'm similar to you in that most topics discussed I don't have much to add. But there are a few topics that are very important to me. These are trans, covid, climate change, border. I might be your polar opposite on the issues I mentioned though.

Having said that, we still probably have more in common than we do differences. Even on the issues mentioned, I think we could find some common ground if we tried.
I'm probably closer to your thoughts on trans -at least as far as competing against women - than you think. Covid - I am pretty much over the discussions and rarely even look at the threads on that topic. I doubt we are that far apart on the border except you probably blame one party more than the other. I have said both parties have had multiple opportunities to sit down and fix it, for decades, and don't. I believe in climate change. The solution? I don't have much of an opinion other than I know the oil companies don't want us to move away from them...because billions of dollars. Just my opinions though.

Reactions: Hawk_82
It's interesting reading the posts in this thread that the left leaning posters cite to commonalities with traditional republican philosophies, as if that is in existence today. That GOP is dead. The modern Trumpian populism is, in many ways, the complete opposite.

Reactions: Tom Paris
It's interesting reading the posts in this thread that the left leaning posters cite to commonalities with traditional republican philosophies, as if that is in existence today. That GOP is dead. The modern Trumpian populism is, in many ways, the complete opposite.
Exactly...I'm pretty fine with normal conservatism. We no longer have that in America. Democrats, not on the far left, are the normal conservatives who actually try to get shit done for Americans. The Republican Party today is corrupt as hell, from Trump down.

There are tons of things that most people have in common.

I believe the government should have to help people who are in need i.e. - disabled people, retired, etc and not people who make kids faster than rabbits.

I believe that a woman should be able to have an abortion but not after 16 weeks.

I'll bite. Here's my "1 thing Trump did well."

In 2016, the FDA approved 73 new generic medications. That figure rose year by year through the Trump administration, reaching 107 in 2019. That same year, Congress passed new legislation that will bring more generics to market even faster in the future. The Creates Act will allow generic drug makers to sue drug developers that withhold information needed to manufacture generics in a timely manner.
I'll add in the 2018 Farm Bill that Trumpy signed too. Now I can get edibles with Delta 8/9 THC all over Iowa. It was a game changing bill since Ol Kim will never legalize actual pot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT