ADVERTISEMENT

Name something you have in common with the opposite political party

lol. I swear that too. It must be little spats that we probably give too much credence to. Weird how we often let the extremes push us towards disagreements when we should work towards those things we have in common.

In addition, I’ve been here for over 20 years. 2001 I was a pretty staunch Republican. I a much better man, father, husband and overall human than I was in my 20’s and 30’s.
1ca0f16b-946b-421e-bf96-198d3267ab7a_text.gif

I think some of our far left leaners have the OP on ignore...I'd be curious to see their responses.
I agree. I challenged Chis once to name 1 thing Trump did well and he couldn't do it. I am amazed @Tom Paris liked my post. Maybe me and him have more similarities than we realize. Need more threads like this one honestly. Filter out the Trump vs Biden and get more topic based discussion.

repubber now, I can name a ton of things I agreed with the dems in the 60's and maybe 70's. somehow they flipped to communism in the 90's or 2000's. cannot agree with that. I wonder if I researched it, if clinton had something to do with that?? for sure obama did.
Way to completely fail the thread, ya bum.

I support a more efficient immigration system and enforcement at the border to stop illegal crossings.

Never mind, the GOP has no interest in finding a solution to any of those issues.

I am republican

I support abortion up to 20ish weeks, but I would ban late term abortions unless it was necessary for the health of the mother or the baby was found to have severe medical conditions.

I support unions in the workplace.

Let's see where we can agree.
You're a Republican? Fvck off!!!

Technically I’m still a registered Republican, just haven’t made the effort to change to Independent. I’ve mention this before, but for 20 years or so, I was a die hard R, listened to Rush daily.

I am a proud supporter of LGBTQ and their rights. Where I start to lean R is when it’s about kids transitioning, biological boys/men competing against girls/women in sports.

I’m pro marijuana legalization.

I’m for much stricter gun laws and regulations. I’m probably more extreme on this issue than most Dems. I actually hate guns. I’m also in favor of more prisons and much harsher penalties for possessing or using illegal weapons and for gun crimes.

I am pro choice.

I believe that climate change is real.

I’m in favor of term limits.

I’m pro public education. We should be investing more money in our public schools and less money overseas. I’m talking a lot more money. I also believe our teachers are extremely underpaid.
You are a Democrat For Sure!

. It is sickening how many politicians who make a modest yearly salary are worth millions. And no if you say "BuT bUtTeRs ThEy Do PuBlic SpEeChEs FoR mOnEy" you can GFY.
I support this as well.

I think we need to curb the political campaign contributions and lobbying by corporations, non-profits, or large private donors. I don't think anything good has come from this.

The top 1% have more money than the entire middle class. This is too much power when they are allowed to buy any influence they want.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
I'm an I lean R. Never been registered with either party.

I don't believe anyone needs a gun in their possession that's purpose built to kill lots of people fast.

I am good with abortion up to 16 weeks (not necessarily a Dem view but I know over 70% of the nation agrees with me so that has to include about 40-50% of Dems.

I'm good with Gay people getting the same tax benefits as anyone else married filing jointly. Call it marriage or whatever you want, I don't care.

I wish trump would disappear.

I support this as well.

I think we need to curb the political campaign contributions and lobbying by corporations, non-profits, or large private donors. I don't think anything good has come from this.

The top 1% have more money than the entire middle class. This is too much power when they are allowed to buy any influence they want.
I think it's something like 10 out of the 12 richest counties are in the DC/Virginia area

Reactions: Hawk_82 and goldmom
lol. I swear that too. It must be little spats that we probably give too much credence to. Weird how we often let the extremes push us towards disagreements when we should work towards those things we have in common.

In addition, I’ve been here for over 20 years. 2001 I was a pretty staunch Republican. I a much better man, father, husband and overall human than I was in my 20’s and 30’s.
Same. I was a registered Republican when this board began. October 2001 when I joined.

I agree. I challenged Chis once to name 1 thing Trump did well and he couldn't do it. I am amazed @Tom Paris liked my post. Maybe me and him have more similarities than we realize. Need more threads like this one honestly. Filter out the Trump vs Biden and get more topic based discussion.
I agreed with basically everything you said. My issues right now that get me the most fired up are the constant attacks on education, Roe being overturned, and until Republicans do something to convince me otherwise, since Trump has gained power over the party, I am 100% convinced they are ok with American Democracy ending.

I was literally thinking yesterday that if “my team” was doing what I believe the Republican Party is doing, and what I believe has been well documented here, I would vote 3rd party. I want a Conservative Party that isn’t radical. If the left was controlled by the radical left, they wouldn’t have my vote. The Democrats are closer to the Republican Party I was in when I was younger than MAGA is. IMHO.

I'll bite. Here's my "1 thing Trump did well."

In 2016, the FDA approved 73 new generic medications. That figure rose year by year through the Trump administration, reaching 107 in 2019. That same year, Congress passed new legislation that will bring more generics to market even faster in the future. The Creates Act will allow generic drug makers to sue drug developers that withhold information needed to manufacture generics in a timely manner.

I could find several things Trump is right about. The problem is the man is incapable of developing a long term strategy that effectively addresses those issues. China, slap some tariffs on them. Problem solved. The border, build a wall and deport everyone. Problem solved.
I‘ve held the opinion the Southern Border issue is a North American problem. If we set up a zone near Guatemala. A natural bottleneck forms. It would be similar to the Panama Canal project under Teddy Roosevelt. The US needs the labor and a system can be set up.

You are a Democrat For Sure!
I want a stronger, more secure border.

I want more money for law enforcement.

I want violent criminals locked up. More prisons for violent criminals.

I want smaller govt and less taxes, especially for those earning between $94k and $500k. The jump from 12% to 22% for married couples is too steep of an increase.

I don’t believe all white people are racist. I don’t believe in reparations. I don’t think we should have to pay for the sins of our ancestors.

While I believe that those who are trans should have equal rights. I don’t believe in changing a persons gender or starting the process before they are 18.

I am not a huge proponent of our welfare system. I believe all able body/mind adults should work and attempt to support themselves without help from the government.

I think the move to green energy should be less aggressive and isn’t the disaster the left thinks it is.

So, that’s why I’m not a Democrat.

I want a stronger, more secure border.

I want more money for law enforcement.

I want violent criminals locked up. More prisons for violent criminals.

I want smaller govt and less taxes, especially for those earning between $94k and $500k. The jump from 12% to 22% for married couples is too steep of an increase.

I don’t believe all white people are racist. I don’t believe in reparations. I don’t think we should have to pay for the sins of our ancestors.

While I believe that those who are trans should have equal rights. I don’t believe in changing a persons gender or starting the process before they are 18.

I am not a huge proponent of our welfare system. I believe all able body/mind adults should work and attempt to support themselves without help from the government.

I think the move to green energy should be less aggressive and isn’t the disaster the left thinks it is.

So, that’s why I’m not a Democrat.
I agree with all of this

I never saw myself as a Dem before Trump but I guess that makes me a commie nowadays.

But Dem immigration policies are basically non-existent. While Trump’s wall is an impractical idea, the Dems largely just choose to ignore the problem altogether.

Also, while I’m a pro-vaccine guy, I think the Covid vaccine mandates were a bit much. To me, it’s just natural selection in action (measles in Florida).

I'll bite. Here's my "1 thing Trump did well."

In 2016, the FDA approved 73 new generic medications. That figure rose year by year through the Trump administration, reaching 107 in 2019. That same year, Congress passed new legislation that will bring more generics to market even faster in the future. The Creates Act will allow generic drug makers to sue drug developers that withhold information needed to manufacture generics in a timely manner.
Agree and I was happy that he took out that Iranian terrorist leader.

Well, I'm assuming Republicans are indeed human beings like me.

That's all I got...

I never saw myself as a Dem before Trump but I guess that makes me a commie nowadays.

But Dem immigration policies are basically non-existent. While Trump’s wall is an impractical idea, the Dems largely just choose to ignore the problem altogether.

Also, while I’m a pro-vaccine guy, I think the Covid vaccine mandates were a bit much. To me, it’s just natural selection in action (measles in Florida).
Both parties ignore the real border issue. It’s the hiring of undocumented by businesses and individuals. E Verify only catches 1 in 6 illegal immigrants in places that use it. Until the issue that is drawing the immigrants here is addressed. The border security attempts is little more than a band aid.

Last edited:
Yup. Obama started the effort, and Trump finished it. The campaign against ISIS in eastern Syria and northern Iraq began in August 2014, resulting in a bunch of victories by 2016. ISIS lost its last oil field and stronghold in Mosul by October 2016. Trump sustained the effort through 2018, culminating in the successful raid that killed ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Far be it from me to tell someone what to do, but you post like someone that loathes every single thing “Republican/Conservative” with every fiber of your being, in nearly every thread possible.

Issues that are important to me:

- women’s health and choice.
- insurance/healthcare system may be the best of the best or whatever, but it’s a nightmare to navigate and inaccessible to a large swath of people. I don’t know how to solve it, but this current setup sucks
- education- teachers are far too underpaid, and that’s in “good” school districts. On a personal note- I don’t think school is the place to tackle “social” issues. I also think teachers should be empowered to punish kids- these days they really seem to be at the mercy of red tape
- need a big military machine- but also not a big fan of playing king maker or world police when we don’t get anything in return
- legalize weed; use that freed up prison space and police resources to properly punish violent crimes. Memphis is intimately familiar with this…
- don’t know how to solve- but politicians should be civil servants, not choosing politics as a career and becoming wealthy off donors. Politics shouldn’t be body 4 life pyramid schemes

This has been a really great thread to read, thanks everyone for being honest about their opinions. You know something like this should be taken to heart. I can't say Sharky and I always agree on everything, and generally I thought he was a dupe. Sorry Sharky. But we've actually had very good conversations about the 99% of other things in life that aren't political, and we've struck up a very good relationship. I don't always agree with what he says, but I enjoy discussions with him and hearing what he likes and doesn't like. I wish everybody on here could do more of that, me included. I tend to get a little sarcastic and antagonistic, and I'd be better off not doing that. Anyway this is a good thread nice to see what everybody believes in. Me, I'd say I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal leaning. I believe in a strong military, a woman's right to choose, some form of gun control, a more secure border than we have now, climate change is a real thing, politicians at least most of them are in it for themselves. Term limits.

1. Stricter gun laws.
2. I'm pro marijuana
3. I view a man and woman living together several years, having a child together just as married as a gay married couple and should be able to have the same benefits such as dependent health care.

Both parties ignore the real border issue. It’s the hiring of undocumented by businesses and individuals. E Verify only catches 1 in 6 illegal immigrants in places that use it. Until the issue that is drawing the immigrants here is addressed. The border security attempts is little more than a band aid.
Elon Musk is currently being sued by the federal government for not hiring illegals/newcomers/whatever to work at SpaceX

This has been a really great thread to read, thanks everyone for being honest about their opinions. You know something like this should be taken to heart. I can't say Sharky and I always agree on everything, and generally I thought he was a dupe. Sorry Sharky. But we've actually had very good conversations about the 99% of other things in life that aren't political, and we've struck up a very good relationship. I don't always agree with what he says, but I enjoy discussions with him and hearing what he likes and doesn't like. I wish everybody on here could do more of that, me included. I tend to get a little sarcastic and antagonistic, and I'd be better off not doing that. Anyway this is a good thread nice to see what everybody believes in. Me, I'd say I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal leaning. I believe in a strong military, a woman's right to choose, some form of gun control, a more secure border than we have now, climate change is a real thing, politicians at least most of them are in it for themselves. Term limits.
Oh sabby, see, we're becoming friends!!

Are you missing the point of the thread?
Not at all.

If someone is admitting that they agree with certain aspects of the opposite party, then it begs the question; “Why don’t you act like you seek common ground and worthwhile discourse in other threads?”

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Not at all.

If someone is admitting that they agree with certain aspects of the opposite party, then it begs the question; “Why don’t you act like you seek common ground and worthwhile discourse in other threads?”
In post 52 I mentioned the things that I am the most passionate about. There is NO common ground for me on those. Not to mention, look how often those things are discussed on this board - daily. Weekly. A lot. When there are posts about investing, I don't argue. I don't argue in the Israel-Hamas discussions. When the border is discussed I am a both sides guy. Same as when the Middle East is discussed. Movies. I don't argue much on the football/basketball boards.

I will argue women's rights/education/MAGA idiocy as long as they are discussed.

Reactions: Hawk_82
As a left leaning independent (by early 2000s standards) I think the right is correct on:
1. Wanting to enforce the law, harsher sentencing on violent/repeat criminals including capital punishment
2. Wanting to generally reduce the size of the federal government (maga position)
3. Stricter enforcement of border policies
4. Ripping out DEI root and stem from all institutions
5. Not thinking joe biden is fit for office

As an alleged far right maga extremist by today's standards I think the left is correct on:
1. Pro-choice position on abortion, up to a certain point. For me that is 15ish weeks but that number is debatable. No late term abortions unless there is serious health risk to the mother.
2. Gay marriage but I think most everybody actually is fine with this now
3. Climate good. "Green new deal" policy is actually awful.
4. Donald trump shouldn't be anywhere near politics
Careful. All your MAGA friends might not like what you’re doing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT