ADVERTISEMENT

Nanea Estrella transfers to Iowa

I remember reading this article last year, idk how I stumbled upon it, but I remember thinking, "She's going to be special. I need to remember her name."

Hot damn, I was right!

Some fantastic wrestlers coming out of Hawaii, they quietly have a really solid base of wrestling going on there which is impressive to think about considering The demographics of the area.

Some fantastic wrestlers coming out of Hawaii, they quietly have a really solid base of wrestling going on there which is impressive to think about considering The demographics of the area.
I got the vibe that they all pretty much come from Oahu. Anyone know if thats the case? I went to Hawaii this last year, was wearing a wrestling shirt and a guy stopped me to talk wrestling for about a half hour while my wife sighed and rolled her eyes hahah. He pointed out where the Teraos, Travis Lee, and others all went to school. Made my trip.

I got the vibe that they all pretty much come from Oahu. Anyone know if thats the case? I went to Hawaii this last year, was wearing a wrestling shirt and a guy stopped me to talk wrestling for about a half hour while my wife sighed and rolled her eyes hahah. He pointed out where the Teraos, Travis Lee, and others all went to school. Made my trip.
That’s a cool story, my wife and I are planning our first trip there soon. Fortunately we have a friend that grew up there and lives on the big island and we can stay with them. I really looking forward to the trip and I always will be sporting my Hawk gear, hopefully I have a similar experience.

That’s a cool story, my wife and I are planning our first trip there soon. Fortunately we have a friend that grew up there and lives on the big island and we can stay with them. I really looking forward to the trip and I always will be sporting my Hawk gear, hopefully I have a similar experience.
It was a blast. Enjoy yourself!

Reactions: Grip220
Where are we at??

2022 Signing Class
101 Brianna Gonzalez/Emilie Gonzalez
109 Emilie Gonzalez/Nyla Valencia
116 Ella Schmidt/Nyla Valencia
123 Ella Schmidt ?
130 Nanea Estrella
136 Reese Larramendy/Bella Mir
143 Reese Larramendy/Bella Mir
155 Kylie Welker or
170 Kylie Welker
191 Sam Calkins

forgetting anyone?

Last edited:
Where are we at??

2022 Signing Class
101 Brianna Gonzalez/Emilie Gonzalez
109 Emilie Gonzalez/Nyla Valencia
116 Ella Schmidt/Nyla Valencia
123 Ella Schmidt ?
130 Nanea Estrella
143 Reese Larramendy
155 Kylie Welker or
170 Kylie Welker

forgetting anyone?

Looks right as far as who is currently committed. I know Bruntil and Mir have been discussed. Bruntil just had a visit. Not sure the story on Mir. Have seen a couple of random articles saying she is going to Iowa, but nothing from the University or local media.

Looks right as far as who is currently committed. I know Bruntil and Mir have been discussed. Bruntil just had a visit. Not sure the story on Mir. Have seen a couple of random articles saying she is going to Iowa, but nothing from the University or local media.
First I heard about Mir to Iowa, but I just found the following from a story about her (https://www.ufc.com/news/bella-mir-ultimate-competitor-frank-mir-dana-white-wrestling-read):

"Bella’s big picture includes college national championships, an Olympic run and then a prolific MMA career. As it stands now, all of those goals have been set in motion. Bella, 19, was recently accepted to the University of Iowa and plans to chase her dreams adding NCAA national titles to her resume this fall.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and MVPFAN
Yeah generally all the big talent comes from Oahu. I did an exchange program at Hawaii in college and was told it was Oahu by far as far as athletics go; the population is so much greater than the other islands.

Reactions: Drake__Mallard
First I heard about Mir to Iowa, but I just found the following from a story about her (https://www.ufc.com/news/bella-mir-ultimate-competitor-frank-mir-dana-white-wrestling-read):

"Bella’s big picture includes college national championships, an Olympic run and then a prolific MMA career. As it stands now, all of those goals have been set in motion. Bella, 19, was recently accepted to the University of Iowa and plans to chase her dreams adding NCAA national titles to her resume this fall.

Isabella (Bella) Mir currently ranked 5th at 144, same class as Larramendy. If Mir does choose Iowa, which gal moves to either 136 or 155 or do they both stay at 143? Will teams still be allowed 2 wrestlers per weight at tournaments?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT