ADVERTISEMENT

Navon Shabazz committed!

Sounds like a bruiser as a 6"4" sophomore HS PG.
Anyone see him play?
I think assumption made the state tourney this past year.
Maybe he will grow into a shooting guard or combo?
Be nice to pair him with the storm Lake 6'6" sg, Jake Coon, to form a long Iowa prep backcourt.
Welcome aboard Mr. Shabazz!

Anyone see him play?
Be nice to pair him with the storm Lake 6'6" sg, Jake Coon, to form a long Iowa prep backcourt.
I believe he is listed as a combo guard. From the tape I have seen of him, he handles the ball awfully damn well for a combo guard and is a decent shooter (48% overall, 34% from 3) and just a sophomore. Wow!

Anyone see him play?
Assumption won last year. Shabazz is now in DSM playing for a prep school?

Reactions: Torg
Love the name, Shabazzzzzz! Sounds like a great addition, who can play either guard position. Fran still needs a guard or two in the 2025 class. An athletic PG and SG/Combo would be ideal. Maybe one recruit and one portal transfer would work well with Shabazz coming in the next year.

Just watched some tape of Navon for the first time. He has good size and looks bigger than 170 lbs listed. He seems to have a lot of game, good ballhandler with a variety of shots. Probably more of a combo guard than a true PG. You can't see a player's grit in a tape, but I think his game is similar to what Tony Perkins gave Iowa. I would gladly take that.

Last edited:
His name is elite!!

Shabazz!!

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Love the name, Shabazzzzzz! Sounds like a great addition, who can play either guard position. Fran still needs a guard or two in the 2025 class. An athletic PG and SG/Combo would be ideal. Maybe one recruit and one portal transfer would work well with Shabazz coming in the next year.

Just watched some tape of Navon for the first time. He has good size and looks bigger than 170 lbs listed. He seems to have a lot of game, good ballhandler with a variety of shots. Probably more of a combo guard than a true PG. You can't see a player's grit in a tape, but I think his game is similar to what Tony Perkins gave Iowa. I would gladly take that.
Thought about what I saw on Shabazz's tape, and another old-time player came to mind, Kenny Arnold. Kenny was one of the most underrated Iowa players in the past 45 years. I hope Navon can live up to that.

Did we out recruit the Cyclones here?
Was he leaning their way?

ISU was kind of recruiting him, I know he was at the KU game last year. Hadn't really heard much on him/ISU since that time. 2026 is pretty early, honestly they haven't even offered many kids.

Either way it's a good get and I would have been really happy had he signed with the Cyclones.

Assumption most definitely won the 3A championship. The two best prospects in Iowa for this class, and probably the next few years, were both out of the Quad Cities area - Shabazz at Assumption and Josiah Harrington at North Scott. I love that he committed but this one doesn’t feel over to me. He could blow up even more while playing for Oliver. BTW, I read somewhere that he’s Juice World’s cousin.

So, is it too early to extend Fran's contract now?! JOKING... Good sign. Can't wait for the season to start.

Reactions: perryhawk
Assumption most definitely won the 3A championship. The two best prospects in Iowa for this class, and probably the next few years, were both out of the Quad Cities area - Shabazz at Assumption and Josiah Harrington at North Scott. I love that he committed but this one doesn’t feel over to me. He could blow up even more while playing for Oliver. BTW, I read somewhere that he’s Juice World’s cousin.
Agreed--doesn't feel over--maybe is a "mover." should add hope he's not--but rather a stayer.

Last edited:
I saw him play twice, once against Wahlert and then against Decorah to win the state 3A championship, I think he was a four or five star prospect in Florida after his freshman year, and then moved to the Quad Cities. He is very calm, smooth, and plays effortlessly. He doesn't stand out because he was on such a loaded team, but he is a playmaker and a very good defensive player. Decorah probably should have won the state title, with their two top scorers, plus the then- sophomore 6-10 son of an NBA and Kansas star. Navon stole the ball a couple times in the 4th quarter from Decorah and then Assumption hung on to win by a couple of points. Does anyone know if he is playing for Assumption again this year, or did he transfer to another program??

Last edited:
Good size for a PG. If he can defend, hit the college 3, and distribute the ball he should be fine. Being a good 3 point shooter being kind of critical in Iowa's system imo. Too many PG's who can't hit the 3 in the last 6 years (Ulis, Touissant, Connor at times, etc).

Last year's stats below.

About 42% of his shots were from 3. His 3pt percentage was workable but with the extended college line there's a chance he could be below a 30% shooter from the Arc starting his college career. His FT% is pretty poor, which could indicate he could struggle as a perimeter shooter also - we'll see. Only just above 3 assists per game, and 1.5 steals, not much for blocks. Turnovers weren't bad though.

Those stats don't indicate what he is elite at imo, as none of them jump off the page at you. Only 15 ORB and 5 blocks in 27 games. Solid DRB stats. Has time to improve on these.

AthleteGSGPFGMAFGPCT3PMA3PPCTeFGPCTFTMAFTPCTORBDRBRBDASTSTLBLKTOA/TOFLPTS
4, Navon Shabazz, SO2627147/33643.8%50/14734.0%51.2%54/9457.4%1511312884375531.5841398

Last edited:
I am confused. I thought he was a class of 26 guy. But if he is a sophomore, that would be class of 27. Which is a LONG way out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT