ADVERTISEMENT

NBC News: Are you better off than you were four years ago?

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
TL;DR Summary:

In the lead-up to the first presidential debate, President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have urged voters to consider if they are better off than they were four years ago, echoing Ronald Reagan's famous question. The economic picture varies widely for Americans based on geography, profession, age, race, and lifestyle. Hourly workers in sectors like food service and hospitality have seen significant wage gains, while retirees and full-time caregivers have not benefited from the strong job market. Homeowners have gained wealth from soaring home prices, but prospective buyers face rising rents and interest rates. Income inequality has narrowed, but wealth inequality has widened, with white households benefiting most from record stock prices compared to Black and Hispanic households.

Wages have increased faster than prices over the past year, but the inflation-adjusted wage growth of around 1% over the past four years is much lower than the typical annual increase before the pandemic. A strong job market has driven wages up, with a historically low unemployment rate and high demand for workers. However, worker leverage is weakening with declining job openings. Housing remains a significant economic pain point, with high prices and rising rents. Food and gas prices have also increased, though recent trends show some stabilization. The overall economic experience of Americans varies greatly, influenced by multiple factors and perspectives.

---------------------------------------------------------
NBC News

Are you better off than you were four years ago? It can be a murky picture for many​

Shannon Pettypiece
Tue, June 25, 2024 at 6:00 AM CDT·9 min read

03c75e4f1d36327a91ad48ea6daee172

Justin Sullivan
In the lead-up to the first presidential debate, both President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have been urging voters to ask themselves the question made famous by Ronald Reagan: Are you better off than you were four years ago?

With the economy among the top issues for voters, each candidate has been using their own set of data points to create a favorable economic picture of their time in office. But for many voters, the answer will vary greatly depending on their geography, profession, age, race and lifestyle — not to mention the political lens they see each candidate through.

Hourly workers, especially those in food service and hospitality, have seen significant wage gains to help offset inflation. But retirees and full-time caregivers have been unable to take advantage of a strong job market. Homeowners have seen their wealth grow amid soaring home prices. But prospective buyers have had to contend with rising rents and interest rates. White households have benefited the most from record stock prices compared to Black and Hispanic households, which have fewer investments in the stock market.

“It all kind of depends on where you sit,” said Julia Pollak, chief economist for ZipRecruiter. “Income inequality has narrowed while wealth inequality has widened. Wages have grown for low wage workers, but have been stagnant for a lot of white collar workers.”
But while there isn’t one story of the U.S. economy, NBC News looked at several key categories that most directly affect households to show how those indicators have changed in recent years and the effect those could have on voters.

Wages​

Over the past year, wages have started to increase faster than prices after about two years of consumers seeing their buying power decreased by inflation that was going up faster than their wages.
Now, consumers are largely left with the same buying power they had four years ago rather than having seen real income gains over that time that would have helped bolster their financial picture.

Since the start of the pandemic, prices — as measured by the Consumer Price Index — are up nearly 21% and wages over that time are up just over 22%, according to federal data. But while consumers have made up some ground, the inflation-adjusted wage growth of around 1% that consumers saw over the past four years is what they typically would have seen in a single year prior to the pandemic, said Pollak. For many workers, a salary raise has just enabled them to keep up with their expenses rather than improve their lifestyle or feel like they are getting ahead financially.

Some workers have been bigger winners than others with hourly workers, particularly those in leisure and hospitality, seeing the biggest wage gains while white-collar workers and managers have been less likely to see their pay keep up with rising prices.

“Wages are finally, after two years, exceeding the average rate of inflation,” said Joseph Davis, global chief economist for Vanguard. “That’s good news, that’s why the economy continues to expand. But I think where there’s tensions is that wages aren’t growing at the same rate across the income spectrum.”

Jobs
Helping drive those wages up has been a historically strong job market where demand from employers has outstripped the supply of people willing or able to do those jobs. The unemployment rate has fallen from 6.4% when Biden came into office to 4% in May after dropping to as low as 3.4% last year, the lowest in more than five decades. During Trump’s four years in office, unemployment also steadily declined to 3.5% before surging during the pandemic to nearly 15%.
There are around 1.5 jobs open for every one person looking for one. The strongest hiring has been in health care, retail, transportation and warehousing. Construction has also seen a hiring boom from billions in federal dollars for infrastructure, clean energy and semiconductor projects.
But there are indications that worker leverage is weakening with job openings on the decline since 2022, said Pollak.

“Hiring is quite slow,” said Pollak. “If you don’t have a job or if you have a job that you don’t like then it’s a tougher labor market because there is less hiring going on.”

The outlook for the job market also varies by race with the unemployment rate at 5.6% for Black workers and 5% for Hispanic workers.

Housing​

While unemployment is historically low and wages have ticked up over the past year, housing remains one of the biggest economic pain points for consumers renting or trying to buy a home.

The affordability gap — an estimate of the difference between an area’s median household income and how much income is necessary to afford payments on a median-priced home in that area — is near a 10-year high in the U.S., according to an NBC News analysis of housing data.

A household earning the local median income would be able to afford a home in more than 60% of counties nationwide, according to the NBC analysis. Five years ago when Trump was in office, that typical household would have been able to afford a home in just over 90% of counties.

“Wage growth isn’t going up at the same rate as the average home price over the past two years,” said Davis. “So home buyers are losing ground there even though the labor market is tight. That’s why affordability is really low, affordability for a new home for first time homeowners is among the lowest on record.”
Rents have increased 31% since the start of the pandemic to an average of nearly $2,000 a month, according to Zillow. The median household spent slightly over 29% of their income on rent in April compared to just under 28% before the pandemic.

While the rising interest rates and home prices have been a negative for those looking to purchase a home, homeowners have seen their net worth soar from higher home valuations.

But other housing-related costs have also been increasing for some homeowners. Insurance rates have increased an average of 23% since 2023 with homeowners in Nebraska, Colorado and Arizona seeing some of the largest increases. Higher home values can also mean higher property taxes for homeowners.

Continued...​

...Continued​

Food​

With the typical household spending about 11% of their disposable income on food, consumers have said that rising grocery prices have taken a particularly painful toll on their budgets. Food prices have risen around 25% over the past four years while Biden was in office. And while prices aren’t increasing as much as they were in 2022, they continue to rise.

Grocery store prices increased 1.1% in April compared to a year ago and restaurant food was up 4.1%, according to the Bureau of Labor statistics. The rise in food prices has disproportionately impacted lower-income households, which spend around a third of their discretionary income on food, according to a 2022 Agriculture Department survey.

While price increases have slowed and the cost of some items have come down from their peak, prices for many key items are still well above their pre-pandemic levels. The price for a pound of ground beef has gone from $3.87 before the pandemic to $5.15 in May, a pound of bacon has gone from $5.50 to $6.81, a dozen eggs has risen from $1.50 to $2.70, bread has increased from $1.38 to $1.97, and a gallon of milk is up from $3.20 to $3.87, according to data from the Federal Reserve.

But there are some indications prices could start to come down more broadly. Major retailers and restaurant chains have announced recent price cuts, including Walmart, Aldi, Target, McDonald’s, and Applebee’s.
The Biden administration has argued that those higher prices are being offset by rising wages, especially for hourly workers. A White House analysis this month said that for the average non-managerial worker, it now takes the same hours of work to buy a typical basket of groceries as it did in 2019.

Gas​

Gas prices are an ever-present metric of the economy for most consumers each time they drive past a gas station or fill up their tanks. Consumers were hit with a surge in gas prices in 2022 after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine roiled energy markets, sending the average price for a gallon of gas up to $4.62. Prices have been coming down over the past two years to an average of $3.42 as of June 17 — 12 cents lower than a year ago and the lowest level since 2021.
But average prices are still above their pre-pandemic levels, when a gallon of gas was around $2.45 in February of 2020.

A key factor keeping prices higher than their pre-pandemic levels is a pullback in production from OPEC, an organization of leading oil-producing nations, said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy.

Helping offset OPEC’s tightening of production is a record amount of oil being pumped in the U.S. Despite a push by the Biden administration to transition away from the use of fossil fuels, U.S. oil production has been at its highest level on record over the past year, surpassing the previous record set in 2019.
Prices typically peak in the spring when refineries are undergoing maintenance and should continue to go down throughout the summer and fall unless a hurricane disrupts refinery production.

“If we can make it through without any major events this summer, then prices would continue to potentially see a little bit of downward momentum. Of course, that’s also subject to OPEC policy not changing,” said De Haan. “Typically, gas prices fall in the fall, just as they spring in the spring. There’s going to be a lot of conspiracy theorists saying ‘oh, this is happening because of the election’ on both sides of the aisle. But they failed to remember that economics is what drives prices and the balances of supply and demand.”
This article was originally published on NBCNews.com

Price inflation since the pandemic started has realized about a 5% annual increase in those 4 years. During that same time frame, my compensation has risen on average 7.5% annually. I'm clearly doing better myself, but I can't speak for everyone everywhere.

Capitalism sorts out the winners and losers and cares nothing about your feelings, fairness or equity, it's just Darwinian economics.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I am not better off today than I was 4 years ago. My income in 2024 will be 50% less than what it has been for the last decade. However, I blame my former company for their greed than politicians.
Uhhh, wtf? Care to expound on how you are earning so much less?

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
Four years ago I was stuck inside with nowhere to go and my president was telling me to drink bleach.
Kinda sending some mixed signals here bud....

Financially better off? Idk. I had the same home and a ton of disposable income. Now, I make more money on paper but it doesn't go as far and takes me 4 jobs to do it. I would say I am not.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Be honest here people.

The majority of America are not better off. It's not even debatable.

I'd have to guess that if someone was already struggling, they are struggling more now.

Just because their income probably hasn't kept up with the cost of goods. Crappy jobs haven't increased pay much I'd have to guess.

On the other hand, if you have a good job and finances were never an issue, I bet your life is better. Most really good jobs saw salary increases to keep you around and to keep up with inflation.

Not even sure if that makes any sense but I'm sticking to it. LOL

Be honest here people.

Really?
Sales wouldn’t show it. Try and buy a Hawkeye football ticket…Still selling a lot of Lexus’ and BMws…Restaurant business is booming nationally…lots of traveling and vacations…lots of folks looking to hire help….Gold is where you find it.

I am not better off today than I was 4 years ago. My income in 2024 will be 50% less than what it has been for the last decade. However, I blame my former company for their greed than politicians.

But did it go from 600K to 300K?

I'd have to guess that if someone was already struggling, they are struggling more now.

Just because their income probably hasn't kept up with the cost of goods. Crappy jobs haven't increased pay much I'd have to guess.

On the other hand, if you have a good job and finances were never an issue, I bet your life is better. Most really good jobs saw salary increases to keep you around and to keep up with inflation.

Not even sure if that makes any sense but I'm sticking to it. LOL
Low end wages have been doing well over the past several years.

Really?
Sales wouldn’t show it. Try and buy a Hawkeye football ticket…Still selling a lot of Lexus’ and BMws…Restaurant business is booming nationally…lots of traveling and vacations…lots of folks looking to hire help….Gold is where you find it.
To answer the OP. I am not better off financially. Work at the same place and make a few thousand more than I did 4 years ago. The increase in pay is nowhere close to the same as inflation.

To answer the grumpy old man, i owned iowa football season tickets about 10 years ago. It’s not even on my radar today. Don’t own a Lexus or bmw. Haven’t been out to eat in about a month. Haven’t gone on vacation for a couple of years now. And the only people looking to hire are low paying jobs.
Seems great that rich people have money to spend along with the people that don’t understand the concept of money and will be foreclosed or have their vehicles taken away.

Yes. Bigly. So is my wife who I had not yet met. More wealth and more disposable income.

Be honest here people.

That wasn't the question from the OP.

Am I better off? Absolutely. Yes, just about everything costs more, but I'm disciplined with my money - no debt, paying my bills, living within my means.

Financially speaking, yes. I'm retired and my savings have out-paced inflation. Medicare is actually getting better,

My 3 adult children and their families are also doing better.
If you want to vote for Biden, that is your option. But if you have to lie about why you are doing it, maybe you need to reconsider. There is no way your savings have out-paced inflation, no way. Now if you weren't lying, then post the bank and provide a website so we can see what interest they are paying.

Four years ago I was stuck inside with nowhere to go...
How is that Trump's fault? I thought the liberals loved the lockdowns...they were bigly successful.
...and my president was telling me to drink bleach.

No, former President Donald Trump did not explicitly tell people to drink bleach. The confusion stems from comments he made during a White House coronavirus briefing on April 23, 2020. During the briefing, Trump speculated about the potential of disinfectants to kill the virus inside the body.

He said:
"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that."

These remarks led to widespread criticism and concern from health experts and the media, who emphasized that ingesting or injecting disinfectants like bleach is extremely dangerous and should never be done. The manufacturers of disinfectants also issued warnings against improper use of their products.

Trump later clarified that he was speaking sarcastically and that his comments were taken out of context. Nonetheless, his remarks were widely reported and led to significant public discussion and concern.

Don't be so gullible to believe everything that dribbles out of his mouth.

To answer the OP. I am not better off financially. Work at the same place and make a few thousand more than I did 4 years ago. The increase in pay is nowhere close to the same as inflation.

To answer the grumpy old man, i owned iowa football season tickets about 10 years ago. It’s not even on my radar today. Don’t own a Lexus or bmw. Haven’t been out to eat in about a month. Haven’t gone on vacation for a couple of years now. And the only people looking to hire are low paying jobs.
Seems great that rich people have money to spend along with the people that don’t understand the concept of money and will be foreclosed or have their vehicles taken away.
You think your life is any different than mine? The last 14 years of work J’d get a 2% bump and a “that a boy”….as my pops would tell me, “ things are tough all over!” Raising kids.. paying for college, cars, insurance, putting some aside…. Yep things are tough and I feel for you…. But you are not unique. Show me where it sez life is supposed to be easy? I never bought season tix until I was in my 50’s….Never “went in a vacation” until I was 55 (Okoboji 4 days)…low paying jobs…. Restaurants and joints here in DSM are advertising starting wages at $13-15/ hour….we “eat out” a couple of times a month…
Life ain’t bad and sure as hell better than it was 5-10 or 20 years ago.
Buck up! Enjoy life! Trump (or whoever is Prez) ain’t gonna change your state of mind.

If you want to vote for Biden, that is your option. But if you have to lie about why you are doing it, maybe you need to reconsider. There is no way your savings have out-paced inflation, no way. Now if you weren't lying, then post the bank and provide a website so we can see what interest they are paying.
Really? I guess you will have to come over and ‘splain to me. I’m old you know. It’s complicated, I bet…ain’t it?

But did it go from 600K to 300K?
No. $300K to $100K. After 15 years of being in a commission based sales role, our company decided to no longer pay commissions. They went to an annual bonus model with unattainable goals. So basically was told here is your base salary, GFY for earning us millions year after year. I exited in November after giving it 6 months.

You think your life is any different than mine? The last 14 years of work J’d get a 2% bump and a “that a boy”….as my pops would tell me, “ things are tough all over!” Raising kids.. paying for college, cars, insurance, putting some aside…. Yep things are tough and I feel for you…. But you are not unique. Show me where it sez life is supposed to be easy? I never bought season tix until I was in my 50’s….Never “went in a vacation” until I was 55 (Okoboji 4 days)…low paying jobs…. Restaurants and joints here in DSM are advertising starting wages at $13-15/ hour….we “eat out” a couple of times a month…
Life ain’t bad and sure as hell better than it was 5-10 or 20 years ago.
Buck up! Enjoy life! Trump (or whoever is Prez) ain’t gonna change your state of mind.
So I see your rant of how bad you had it. How is it better today for you? What has made the last four years better than 5-10 or 20 years ago.
My life has always been the way you explained it only it is even worse the last 4 years.
I used to have season tickets, I used to go out with friends and party, I used to go out to eat. I had way more money in my mid to late 20’s on a single income than what my wife and I do now with 2 incomes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT