ADVERTISEMENT

NBC News: Are you better off than you were four years ago?

I honestly am not. I've said here several times. I am making far more than I ever have and am having more trouble paying bills than I have since I first graduated college. Insurance is a killer. Everything you touch in the grocery store is a 5 dollar bill. Tax bill was 2 grand more than we expected which really hit us hard this year. It's been tough. I've had to cancel camping trips, sporting events, concerts. I don't have the money for that stuff this year.
Why was your tax bill 2 grand more than expected?

Why was your tax bill 2 grand more than expected?
It was our fault for not knowing but it still was a huge hit.

They stop the child tax credit at 17 not 18. Why? Because according to the government kids are moving out on their own and becoming independent at 17. Yeah right. In what world do kids move out when they're 17? Duh.

• Haha
Reactions: Stoopsbrother
It was our fault for not knowing but it still was a huge hit.

They stop the child tax credit at 17 not 18. Why? Because according to the government kids are moving out on their own and becoming independent at 17. Yeah right. In what world do kids move out when they're 17? Duh.

Yeah your $2,000 credit went down to $500 I'm sure.

Many people that normally get refunds start owing tax when the kids start getting older.

so nobody on here has noticed a large increase in grocery prices & interest rates?

I'm sure groceries have gone up a ton but the wife does 100% of the shopping so I have no clue.

There's plenty of money in my checking account so I don't even think about it I guess.

My house is fixed rate so no biggie. Condo is adjustable so I have seen the monthly payments increase. Haven't lost any sleep on it though.

We are "lucky" because we have always lived BELOW our means.

Poor you.....

Sometimes you don't get what you want. If missing trips/events/concerts is your concern.....perhaps you should look at your budget and decision skills.

The economy is booming right now and if you can't benefit off that....that is on you.
There's the hypocrisy we know and love. "We care about all less fortunate people unless they are less fortunate. Then **** em because I've got plenty" lol

Not to mention, aren't you a lawyer? Yeah I'm sure lawyers are doing just fine. Lol you earned it. I'm not saying you didn't, but it's pretty easy to say bills are easy to pay for when your making what you probably make.

Last edited:
I dunno...since inception?

I'll give you that investments and savings are related but realistically they're distinct concepts. "Savings" typically refer to money set aside in safe, easily accessible accounts like savings accounts, which offer low risk and modest interest (see my earlier post). Investments, on the other hand, involve putting money into assets such as stocks, bonds, or real estate, with the potential for higher returns but also higher risk. While savings prioritize securty and liquidity, investments aim for growth and can be a part of a broader savings strategy to build wealth over time.
Fair enough. I've seen that definition. I've also seen the old "what you have left after expenses" which is kind of the way I think. It's not like I'm investing in restaurants or other risky ventures,

But, point taken and accepted.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
There's the hypocrisy we know and love. "We care about all less fortunate people unless they are less fortunate. Then **** em because I've got plenty" lol

Not to mention, aren't you a lawyer? Yeah I'm sure lawyers are doing just fine. Lol you earned it. I'm not saying you didn't, but it's pretty easy to say bills are easy to pay for when your making what you probably make.

Dude, I was a solo practitioner. I didn't have staff. My 4 kids and wife were stuck at home during COVID. I had to conduct hearings via zoom. People didn't have money to pay their bills. Don't tell me about how hard things were. I know first hand. "I'm a lawyer, I'm rich". Doesn't work that way chief.

I'm 100% better today than I was 4 years ago. Sorry you are not.

Plus.....I don't take vacations......Want not need not.

While I've already posted I'm doing fine, it's not like I don't notice how expensive stuff has become. I tell my (no pics) wife often I don't know how the average (or below average) person lives and enjoys life.

I took my wife and son to see Inside Out 2 at Flix Brew House. It cost a total of $79.29 and that was with child and military discounts and the food was only chips/queso, fried pickles, a slush and 2 waters. I noticed the family of 4 next to me all had complete meals and sodas. No way they left that dinner/movie for under $100.

Reactions: TennNole17
Things are always going to get more expensive. Now have some companies taken advantage of COVID and not reduced prices when they should....YES
This is starting to change however in the restaurant business it seems.

Also, if you’re a smart shopper at the grocery store and target their sale items I’m finding that prices have pulled back a bit as well. If the price is too high I don’t grab it off the shelf and then claim victimhood.

I honestly am not. I've said here several times. I am making far more than I ever have and am having more trouble paying bills than I have since I first graduated college. Insurance is a killer. Everything you touch in the grocery store is a 5 dollar bill. Tax bill was 2 grand more than we expected which really hit us hard this year. It's been tough. I've had to cancel camping trips, sporting events, concerts. I don't have the money for that stuff this year.
It’s weird to me how many people on here lie about stuff just to belong to a political party.
I call bs on a bunch of people on here.
Unless they found a new high paying job, hit the jackpot somewhere or as some have mentioned, they are now retired or close to it where they have kids they no longer need to support. They should also have houses and vehicles paid off by now. Thus that would be the only reason they are better than they were 4 hours ago. Not because the economy is better or the cost of everything is less than it was before.
4 years later I have the same job, house, and vehicle and go on less vacations yet I have less money in the bank than I did 4 years ago. It’s not like I’m wasting money on stuff either. Honestly I spent way more money 5-8 years ago when we bought our current house and each year we were doing improvements. Basically until Biden came along, coincidence, idk for certain but we spend less and have less money.

I'm up over $200k a year over the past 4 years and it isn't because of the President. But I look at my credit card bill that I pay each month, and it's gotten out of hand and there really isn't much more that we are buying now than we did 4 years ago. We have kids now and that adds into it a little but we're near $15k/month in a credit card bill. I cringe at paying that each month.

I do laugh at the article saying wages are increasing more than prices over the past year. BS. And even if it's true, inflation has sky rocketed the 3 years prior while historical wages have been up 3-6%.

I'm up over $200k a year over the past 4 years and it isn't because of the President. But I look at my credit card bill that I pay each month, and it's gotten out of hand and there really isn't much more that we are buying now than we did 4 years ago. We have kids now and that adds into it a little but we're near $15k/month in a credit card bill. I cringe at paying that each month.

I do laugh at the article saying wages are increasing more than prices over the past year. BS. And even if it's true, inflation has sky rocketed the 3 years prior while historical wages have been up 3-6%.
Where do you live making $200K a year but have $15K/month in credit card charges? WTF? If I had to guess I’d say you’ve got a budgeting problem.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
It’s weird to me how many people on here lie about stuff just to belong to a political party.
I call bs on a bunch of people on here.
Unless they found a new high paying job, hit the jackpot somewhere or as some have mentioned, they are now retired or close to it where they have kids they no longer need to support. They should also have houses and vehicles paid off by now. Thus that would be the only reason they are better than they were 4 hours ago. Not because the economy is better or the cost of everything is less than it was before.
4 years later I have the same job, house, and vehicle and go on less vacations yet I have less money in the bank than I did 4 years ago. It’s not like I’m wasting money on stuff either. Honestly I spent way more money 5-8 years ago when we bought our current house and each year we were doing improvements. Basically until Biden came along, coincidence, idk for certain but we spend less and have less money.
or you've gotten 2 promotions and pay raises over the past 4 or so years

aren't you the same guy who purposely has a job with low pay, but great benefits? shouldn't be surprised your margin is a lot slimmer than some people

Reactions: RileyHawk

Not by a long shot.
While my salary has gone up considerably, the buying power of those dollars has gone way down.
Thankfully, I got a fixed rate mortgage, so that’s been pretty stable. But my homeowner insurance has gone through the roof. I paid cash for my car nine years ago, but insurance for that has gone up too, despite not having any claims.
Groceries, gas, entertainment, clothing, you name it, it is now significantly more expensive.
And because your insurance costs went up dramatically….how is that Biden’s fault? How did Biden and his policies raise the price of your groceries? Your meat? Your cars? Don’t private corporations and companies have some blame here? Did Biden order them to increase prices? I don’t get it Bubs……Covid and supply chain issues pushed prices upwards…and a lot of that was created because trump cut consumer safety nets with his ludicrous tax cut for BILLIONAIRES.

Reactions: Tom Paris
And because your insurance costs went up dramatically….how is that Biden’s fault? How did Biden and his policies raise the price of your groceries? Your meat? Your cars? Don’t private corporations and companies have some blame here? Did Biden order them to increase prices? I don’t get it Bubs……Covid and supply chain issues pushed prices upwards…and a lot of that was created because trump cut consumer safety nets with his ludicrous tax cut for BILLIONAIRES.
I dont see anything in his post about Biden. The question was "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?". Some people are honest. Others are not. In any case, every answer is anecdotal anyway.

I am definitely better off as the economy has been rolling. There was no downturn in the stock market as many anticipated after Covid. Fortunately, my spouse and I both have good jobs. My kids 529s and our retirement plans are looking good after the last few years. We live modestly which helps. I feel fortunate to be raising my kids with expendable income to use on their activities, and not have to worry about money when buying food. We were both raised in much more tight financial situations without expendable income.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I dont see anything in his post about Biden. The question was "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?". Some people are honest. Others are not. In any case, every answer is anecdotal anyway.
if you can't fathom the possibility that some people are honestly doing better now than 4 years ago...I don't know what to tell you

4 jobs? Wow! You the man, whiskey…..You the man!
No thanks for me. Life is too short. I spend my time outside of my job with my kids and love it. I think Whiskey may change his tune and do the same when his kid(s) are older. I understand his mindset of wanting to work hard now to provide for his kids, as I felt similar when I started to have kids.

Last edited:
How big is your family and what part of the country do you live in? Your family income is up by $200K over the last 5 years? Congratulations! You certainly can’t be struggling financially then. Reading your credit card statements would be fascinating though.
We live in Des Moines. 2 kids. I try to save 100k a year and maybe that’s the reason why I feel I’m being squeezed as it’s harder to save even with income growth and life changes. I don’t want to work past 50-55.

I feel for lower middle class, have no clue how a family living on 100k with 3 kids can effectively get by and save for the future.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
if you can't fathom the possibility that some people are honestly doing better now than 4 years ago...I don't know what to tell you
You don't have to tell me anything because that is not what I said.

Everyone's situation is different. Getting ambushed by all those taxes is on him….that’s what tax guys and accountants are for! It certainly isn’t the Dems or Biden’s fault. If you make a mistake on your taxes/income projections, you may be “worse off” but that is on you! One of the toughest lessons learned in life is admitting you phuqued up……just dont let one phuque up lead to more….

Everyone's situation is different. Getting ambushed by all those taxes is on him….that’s what tax guys and accountants are for! It certainly isn’t the Dems or Biden’s fault. If you make a mistake on your taxes/income projections, you may be “worse off” but that is on you! One of the toughest lessons learned in life is admitting you phuqued up……just dont let one phuque up lead to more….
Let them eat cake, and hire accountants and tax guys! Lol

And ftr I said it was our mistake that our tax bill went up.

Times are definitely tough for many. Voting for Drumpf will certainly not do anything to help those struggling. Everything about him and current Republican policies puts the growing issue of economic inequality on steroids.

Let them eat cake, and hire accountants and tax guys! Lol

And ftr I said it was our mistake that our tax bill went up.
When you deal with the tax code and itemization, you better get the best advice available from reliable folks who honestly understand and know how taxes work. In will pay every cent of income taxes I owe the state and Feds….and not one cent more. My tax bill between Fed, State and local has run between 14-16% of my wages/earning for the past 35 years….it just never fluctuates…and until recently I have itemized. Higher rates came from using standard deductions. This past year my tax bill was reduced by about 60% as I used a solar credit…..and the State of Iowa told me “You are old…..you don’t have to pay any more!”

Geesh! Calm down.

I have more money than I did 4 years ago. It has out-paced the inflation impact on me. I don't drive much, so gas has little impact. It doesn't matter to me what mortgage rates are because I'm not borrowing money, but I am making quite a bit on my fixed income investments. We are just an old married couple so our grocery bill is not a killer like it would be for a family,

I didn't mean it out-paced the inflation rate - just the impact on me.

But, to look in total - (inflation data from Investopedia)
  • In 2023, the average rate of inflation was 4.1%. My investments earned 6.75%
  • In 2022, the average rate of inflation was 8.0%. My investments earned 11.84%
  • In 2021, the average rate of inflation was 4.7%. My investments lost 13.33%
  • In 2020, the average rate of inflation was 1.2% My investments made 14.03%
Inflation average 4.5%. My investments averaged 4.82%

No, I'm not going to post my investment reports.

Wait. You earned almost 12% in 2022?

Least shocking news is who is and who isn’t doing better. Pretty much straight down party lines.

Reactions: hawkland14
For sure we are but we were in the haves before. We owned a home and had decent retirement savings. Those savings have doubled and our home value appreciated significantly. We were basically debt free so able to absorb inflation without much trouble. I understand that the have nots have suffered disproportionately.
Wow…your retirement savings doubled in 4 years? I must be invested in the wrong funds. 🤔

Similar situation for me (I retired 2 years ago). I think it mostly depends on how well you plan ahead and watch your expenses. Most of the people I know have not been affected by inflation. Then there are people like my SIL. She lives paycheck to paycheck, but she has always been that way. She has had some good salary increases the past several years (which has kept her above the inflation rate), but she still lives paycheck to paycheck. She does not plan ahead, makes poor financial decisions, and wastes money on things like cigarettes and fast food. A big portion of Americans live like my SIL
You can never “waste money” on fast food. 😉

From an income standpoint, absolutely (and the wife doesn’t work full time now, where she did 4 years ago). From a cost standpoint, it’s not even close. Everything costs quite a bit more.
So, what’s your net result (income less expenses) now….compared to when Trump was president?

Not that any of this matters. Trump is a felon. He completely blew off COVID, and his economy was nothing more than a continuation of what Obama did. Dude sucks. We're lucky we no longer have a fraudster like him in charge.
So, what’s that all got to do with you incorrectly questioning that he had 4 jobs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT