ADVERTISEMENT

NBC removes Al Michaels from NFL playoff coverage

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
I grew up secretly watching Monday Night Football with Frank, Al and Dan. Al is all that's left of that fond memory, so this one hits. At least he's still on Thursday Nights with Amazon.

oge6sl7a3si91.jpg

NBC removes Al Michaels from NFL playoff coverage, per report​

Callie Lawson-Freeman
Callie Lawson-Freeman
·Contributing writer
Tue, December 12, 2023 at 11:16 AM CST·2 min read

PITTSBURGH, PA - DECEMBER 15: Sunday Night Football commentator Al Michaels looks on during the NFL football game between the Buffalo Bills and the Pittsburgh Steelers on December 15, 2019 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, PA. (Photo by Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Al Michaels won't call NFL playoffs for NBC this year. (Photo by Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

NBC is reportedly parting ways with legendary broadcaster Al Michaels ahead of NFL playoffs.
The 79-year-old was unaware that his role was in jeopardy last month, Andrew Marchand of the New York Post reported Tuesday.
Michaels reportedly said he believed that he was still going to call the game on NBC, but did not know who else would be working.
“It’s in my deal,” he said when Marchand mentioned NBC’s uncertainty in November. “Where are you hearing that from? That’s part of my deal. Are you hearing something that I’m not hearing?”

Michaels is heralded as one of the greatest play-by-play announcers in football’s history. After working for ABC from 1976-2006, he joined NBC as the voice of “Sunday Night Football.”

He lost his Sunday role to Mike Tirico in 2022. NBC gave Michaels an emeritus title after replacing him, allowing him to contribute to the network’s playoff coverage. The title change came as a result of his strife with NBC’s top executives, per Marchand.

Michaels and analyst Tony Dungy were on the call for the Jacksonville Jaguars' exhilarating comeback win over the Los Angeles Chargers last year. Michaels dismissed criticism that he and Dungy were “low energy” during the game as “internet compost.”
When playoffs begin on Jan. 13, NBC will roll out two playoff broadcasting teams. Tirico and Cris Collinsworth will work two games. College football broadcasters Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge will call one. Eagle, 27, will also be featured on Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob telecast of the Super Bowl.

Michaels took a role with Amazon Prime Video during his shift with NBC last season. He can be heard calling “Thursday Night Football” for the streaming platform.

His absence from the playoffs will mark the end of a storied run, as no one has called more Super Bowls on television than he has. Michaels and Pat Summerall are tied with 11 assignments to the NFL’s biggest game.

i dunno, while he's still pretty good, and i do like the way he sprinkles in the occasional profanity these days, one gets the sense that either his mind or his ability to count the number of drinks he's had is slipping.

I grew up secretly watching Monday Night Football with Frank, Al and Dan. Al is all that's left of that fond memory, so this one hits. At least he's still on Thursday Nights with Amazon.

oge6sl7a3si91.jpg

NBC removes Al Michaels from NFL playoff coverage, per report​

Callie Lawson-Freeman
Callie Lawson-Freeman
·Contributing writer
Tue, December 12, 2023 at 11:16 AM CST·2 min read

PITTSBURGH, PA - DECEMBER 15: Sunday Night Football commentator Al Michaels looks on during the NFL football game between the Buffalo Bills and the Pittsburgh Steelers on December 15, 2019 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, PA. (Photo by Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Al Michaels won't call NFL playoffs for NBC this year. (Photo by Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

NBC is reportedly parting ways with legendary broadcaster Al Michaels ahead of NFL playoffs.
The 79-year-old was unaware that his role was in jeopardy last month, Andrew Marchand of the New York Post reported Tuesday.
Michaels reportedly said he believed that he was still going to call the game on NBC, but did not know who else would be working.

Michaels is heralded as one of the greatest play-by-play announcers in football’s history. After working for ABC from 1976-2006, he joined NBC as the voice of “Sunday Night Football.”

He lost his Sunday role to Mike Tirico in 2022. NBC gave Michaels an emeritus title after replacing him, allowing him to contribute to the network’s playoff coverage. The title change came as a result of his strife with NBC’s top executives, per Marchand.

Michaels and analyst Tony Dungy were on the call for the Jacksonville Jaguars' exhilarating comeback win over the Los Angeles Chargers last year. Michaels dismissed criticism that he and Dungy were “low energy” during the game as “internet compost.”
When playoffs begin on Jan. 13, NBC will roll out two playoff broadcasting teams. Tirico and Cris Collinsworth will work two games. College football broadcasters Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge will call one. Eagle, 27, will also be featured on Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob telecast of the Super Bowl.

Michaels took a role with Amazon Prime Video during his shift with NBC last season. He can be heard calling “Thursday Night Football” for the streaming platform.

His absence from the playoffs will mark the end of a storied run, as no one has called more Super Bowls on television than he has. Michaels and Pat Summerall are tied with 11 assignments to the NFL’s biggest game.

Why were you secretly watching it? Was it taboo at your house growing up?

Someday we'll all be able to watch games with whatever AI generated broadcaster we choose. You want Howard Cosell calling Sunday night football five years from now, you got it! John Madden on Thanksgiving- sure thing!
Short of AI, if ESPN really had any balls, they'd have Frank Caliendo on the Payton/Eli feed, playing the part of John Madden while they watch the game.

Why were you secretly watching it? Was it taboo at your house growing up?
Because I was in elementary and middle school and supposed to be in bed. LOL My mom would "tuck me in" and turn out the lights. I'd wait about 5 min then turn the TV on with a super long headphone jack and watch MNF.

It wasn't until a few years ago I finally explained to her why I was always so tired on Tuesday mornings. Football wasn't a thing in my house.

I collected these:

74698845_2330719870373339_1751820226921496576_n.jpg

And these:

Good, he's awful now. I normally don't get too worked up over announcers, but Michaels calling a couple Jags games were just bad

Reactions: Bro D
I get it, but I have a soft spot for guys getting old, I wish they could let him do one last playoffs and let him know this is it. The best days were Howard and Dandy Don and Frank Gifford.

• Love
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT