ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Committee Rule Recommendations

LIV4GOD

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2020

Some minor changes. I see they're trying to fix the Okie State timing debacle from this year's NCAAs.

Two minute OT first period. There can be a declared winner from whom has the most riding time from the first set of 30 second riding.

And here's the ultimate steaming pile of dung worthless recommendation:

* The committee recommended continued education and training to both coaches and referees on the proper expectations and application of neutral out-of-bounds stalling rules.
In other words, no step out, and it's back to the same old crap. I'm wondering if the biggest hurdle to that is people worried about someone being driven out of bounds and getting hurt. I just don't get it. It's the most obvious and needed rule addition. It works great as in proven in Freestyle, and we don't have to witness pathetic matches like in the finals that hurts the sport.

Reactions: el dub and Chuck C
I think the biggest fear is that they don't want it to become a push-fest. I don't share their concern but I also can't call it invalid.

The bottom line is that the rules are generally acceptable but they aren't being enforced. The problem, of course, is that we have seen this all before and nothing seems to actually change. The old boys ref network and lack of accountability feeds into the issue.

Not opposed to the step out rule, but it also has a subjective component, and more importantly, I do not feel it makes the wrestling any more exciting. You can also still stall your ass off in the center of the mat. And even better enforcing of the stalling rule won't take the subjectivity out of it. I don't think the system is totally broken, but it will take more creative and objective out-of-the box ideas to 'fix' it. I can't see most of the routine suggestions on this topic making much difference in the end.

Another feasible option would be to implement the 30 second shot clock used in freestyle. You don’t score you lose a point. In this scenario, the stall warning gets removed, activity and holding the center of the mat is rewarded.
I don’t see a problem with stopping the match for 5 seconds, like in freestyle, and telling a wrestler you’re not being active. The next time you’re on the clock.
I think it would help remove the subjective essence of the stall call.

Reactions: MVPFAN
As Spooner said, it's the officials that suck, not the rules. A few days ago I rewatched the Lee/Courtney match - it was worse than I remembered. The refs let Courtney stall and back up the entire match. Almost worse than that, the TV announcers (Tim Johnson and ?) were very complimentary of Courtney's "footwork."

NCAA D1 wrestling is the poorest officiated of all sports. I can't think of a another sport with as little regard for the optics and quality of action.

It's interesting that we can find officials in the US to enforce action in freestyle matches, but for D1 matches we draw on a different, uniquely incompetent group of officials with their heads up their asses. It's amazing.

Another feasible option would be to implement the 30 second shot clock used in freestyle. You don’t score you lose a point. In this scenario, the stall warning gets removed, activity and holding the center of the mat is rewarded.
I don’t see a problem with stopping the match for 5 seconds, like in freestyle, and telling a wrestler you’re not being active. The next time you’re on the clock.
I think it would help remove the subjective essence of the stall call.
Not a fan of the shot clock at all. I have coached a lot of HS wrestlers in Freestyle and Greco - often times they put the wrong guy on the shot clock. Actually, about 50% of the time. In fact, 1 time the explanation for putting my wrestler on the shot clock was, "your guy was more active, so I though he had a better chance of scoring". It happens at the Olympic level also. I know they screwed that one up in a Dake-Burroughs match one time. I think rules that take things out of the officials hands subjectively and put it in the wrestlers hands objectively are the best. I would Definitely not put the shot clock in that category.

If refs knew how to call stalling in the '80s and '90s, why can't they figure it out now?

I like the step out rule in freestyle, but see problems with it in folkstyle. How many times do we see the top guy in the referee's position just run the bottom guy out of bounds? He has an unfair advantage. Maybe if you could only enforce it from the neutral position.

If refs knew how to call stalling in the '80s and '90s, why can't they figure it out now?

I like the step out rule in freestyle, but see problems with it in folkstyle. How many times do we see the top guy in the referee's position just run the bottom guy out of bounds? He has an unfair advantage. Maybe if you could only enforce it from the neutral position.
No need for push out if in top and bottom. Once an escape happens, they can whistle a restart in the middle.

Not a fan of the shot clock at all. I have coached a lot of HS wrestlers in Freestyle and Greco - often times they put the wrong guy on the shot clock. Actually, about 50% of the time. In fact, 1 time the explanation for putting my wrestler on the shot clock was, "your guy was more active, so I though he had a better chance of scoring". It happens at the Olympic level also. I know they screwed that one up in a Dake-Burroughs match one time. I think rules that take things out of the officials hands subjectively and put it in the wrestlers hands objectively are the best. I would Definitely not put the shot clock in that category.

They have to put someone on the clock in the first period... it’s in the rules if no scoring. Imagine if folk had a rule that they have to call stalling. However, I get that it can sometimes be/look arbitrary.

American folk style fans sometimes don’t understand that the guy who owns the middle has the advantage. If there is still no offensive scoring in the second period, the other guy goes on the clock. 1-1 matches rarely happen in freestyle.

Reactions: Inthecircle
The system is a little counter intuitive but here is how it really works. They put who they want to win on the shot clock first so that they can put the other guy on it later. Last score wins. More aggressive wrestler on the shot clock first happens a lot. Ref is doing them a favor. The guy who is now up by 1 can’t sit on that lead because he knows he is going to be put on the clock later so he has to open up a little more giving more opportunities to the guy who is down by 1. If the guy down by 1 can’t convert or only gets a push out the other guy goes on the clock and “the right guy” wins. Please don’t tell anyone it is supposed to be a secret.

The system is a little counter intuitive but here is how it really works. They put who they want to win on the shot clock first so that they can put the other guy on it later. Last score wins. More aggressive wrestler on the shot clock first happens a lot. Ref is doing them a favor. The guy who is now up by 1 can’t sit on that lead because he knows he is going to be put on the clock later so he has to open up a little more giving more opportunities to the guy who is down by 1. If the guy down by 1 can’t convert or only gets a push out the other guy goes on the clock and “the right guy” wins. Please don’t tell anyone it is supposed to be a secret.
Last score wins and highest score wins are two of the dumbest rules in existence.

Reactions: GoHawks1996

Go back and watch a Royce Alger vs. Kevin Jackson matches to see how stalling used to be called.

They have to put someone on the clock in the first period... it’s in the rules if no scoring. Imagine if folk had a rule that they have to call stalling. However, I get that it can sometimes be/look arbitrary.

I'd be perfectly fine with a double stalling if it's 0-0 after the first period.

Reactions: moug and IAChief32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT